JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have heard from friends and read accounts of attacks or robbery being stopped by the display of a weapon. The actual firing of the EDC firearm not always/rarely being necessary...

I had an interesting experience yesterday.

I was in the car food pickup line at our local McD, inside dining being probibited, wanting to get a McMuffin on the way to a follow up appt with my surgeon. As usually happens, I was unfortunate enough to get behind a person that just seemed to keep rambling on with the order taker inside. What on earth do people do, change their order 15 times or something??? When he was finally done ordering, he takes his sweet time moving only slightly ahead, instead of closing the gap so the car behind him, me, can get up to the order box.

I pulled ahead slowly, trying to gauge how close to the box I needed to be in order for the person inside to hear my order. Felt a slight thump. Ooops. I wasn't sure, but I thought maybe I had tapped the bumper of the guy in front of me. Guy looks in his mirror and gives me the stink eye... I look back at him and shrug, then put my hands up in the best "I'm an idiot old guy" gesture and give the best I'm sorry smile I can manage. Young guy in his late twenties or early thirties gets out of his car, a Subaru Outback, and goes to look at his bumper. Gives me a glare. Apparently it's not too bad cuz he's not asking for my insurance. I lean out my open window and ask "Did I bump you?" He says yes. I say I'm sorry (figuring any explanation is just going to make things worse). He says "WTF", balls up his fists and starts coming at my door.

My nice guy "Hey, I don't want any trouble with you" senile old man routine not working. Then he gets a good look at my ballcap. It has a 1911 on it. Says "Firestar", but no matter... he stops and moves back to his own car. Well dang, I guess I'm lucky it didn't go any further!!!

Was late for my appt too.

I really love wearing that hat!!

Last Edited:
We're all in our own little worlds, but some seem to be really gone.

I see those kinds in the drive-up lines every time it seems. WTH? A single person in the vehicle and it takes them 2 minutes to speak into the clowns nose! Then, there's the credit card purchase for a single small bag and a drink.

G-D! We've eaten more McDougal's crap in the last 6 months than we did in TEN years prior! That stuff ain't no good for anybody! Yeah, tastes good, but it ain't right.

Let's see... A slow-moving millenial in a Subaru at McD's in a state where pot is legal... 'nuff said :confused:

And women... always women. Can't know what they want to order before they get in line. IT'S MCDONALDS! THE MENU HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR 50 YEARS!!! Then they order enough for an army. But wait, lil Johnny in the back seat changed his mind. Oh, okay. Wait, lil Susie decided she wants a Caramel Machiatto. Ok, got it all? Wait, no pickles on that Quarter Pounder. Oh, and no onions. And an extra slice of cheese. And could you make the Fish Sandwich with Special Sauce instead of tartar sauce? Hey lady, I"LL give ya some "Special sauce"!!!

I see those kinds in the drive-up lines every time it seems. WTH? A single person in the vehicle and it takes them 2 minutes to speak into the clowns nose! Then, there's the credit card purchase for a single small bag and a drink.

G-D! We've eaten more McDougal's crap in the last 6 months than we did in TEN years prior! That stuff ain't no good for anybody! Yeah, tastes good, but it ain't right.

Or debit card for a $1 drink. Pizzes me off that I have to put my card in the reader stuck out the window. And at BK they make me put my card in a plastic tray to give to them. They still have to touch it... then they give it back in the plastic bucket. Jeez!

McD revenue is up!! They laid off all the interior staff except cooks, etc, and the lines outside are long! At lunchtime I don't even bother. But yeah, you can't go to a restaurant any more, so what ya gonna do???

My waistline keeps expanding.

I haven't eaten at McPukes in 30 years.

1) Before I retired and was regularly buying a breakfast sammich on the way to work I found that Safeway's early morning offerings beat McD's on every factor - cheaper and MUCH better.

2) Brandishing a hat - Now that's pretty low on the continuum of force.

3) Aside from those early morning McMuffins The Beloved and I haven't eaten fast "food" since the earth cooled.

As a counter point the local family restaurant which typically is packed almost every night of the week is drive up only (they have a window around back) And sometimes there are almost 20 cars in line. With more then 4-5 cars in the line since everything has already been ordered over the phone the send someone from the manager to one of the kids (sometimes 3 of them are out shagging cards and bringing out orders, out to the cars back in the line even in the rain to find out what your order is and to bring it out to you running the card back and forth. even on the busiest of nights rarely in line more then 10 min. And its real food.

And women... always women. Can't know what they want to order before they get in line. IT'S MCDONALDS! THE MENU HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR 50 YEARS!!! Then they order enough for an army. But wait, lil Johnny in the back seat changed his mind. Oh, okay. Wait, lil Susie decided she wants a Caramel Machiatto. Ok, got it all? Wait, no pickles on that Quarter Pounder. Oh, and no onions. And an extra slice of cheese. And could you make the Fish Sandwich with Special Sauce instead of tartar sauce? Hey lady, I"LL give ya some "Special sauce"!!!

SCREAM!!!!!!!!!! I take it the way they offer it, for the most part. Sometimes I'll ask for extra onions. Never at McDee's though. Crap-in the box, yes. People that ask for a bunch of special stuff with their fast food are just asking for trouble. If they don't like it, at all, the way they serve it, they need to stay the hell home and make it themselves!

Last Edited:
As a counter point the local family restaurant which typically is packed almost every night of the week is drive up only (they have a window around back) And sometimes there are almost 20 cars in line. With more then 4-5 cars in the line since everything has already been ordered over the phone the send someone from the manager to one of the kids (sometimes 3 of them are out shagging cards and bringing out orders, out to the cars back in the line even in the rain to find out what your order is and to bring it out to you running the card back and forth. even on the busiest of nights rarely in line more then 10 min. And its real food.

Not here. :(:(:(

SCREAM!!!!!!!!!! I take it the way they offer it, for the most part. Sometime I'll ask for extra onions. Never at McDee's though. Crap-in the box, yes. People that ask for a bunch of special stuff with their fast food are just asking for trouble. If they don't like it, at all, the way they serve it, they need to stay the hell home and make it themselves!

I'm such a garbage gut that I was fond of the cheapo tacos at Jack-in-the-Crack! But I think they changed the source for their dogmeat... it got too sickening even for me.

I really hope your local joint can keep going through this k8brown nightmare. I can't bring myself to get take out food that I don't eat in the car, like burger and fries. I cook all kinds of things. Been sole cook and bottle washer for well more than 30 years. i can cook as good or better than anywhere we ever go out to eat. Getting some thing delivered, or getting to go containers and then come home to eat cold/luke-warm food isn't something I can do.

I'm such a garbage gut that I was fond of the cheapo tacos at Jack-in-the-Crack! But I think they changed the source for their dogmeat... it got too sickening even for me.

Wifey tried their tacos once. Sounds like their meat comes in a big plastic bag and is spooged into the taco shell. With a nice half slice of some chees-like, processed, pasteurized substance with a cheese like color. :s0140:

Dang, I'm getting hungry now! Got some left over Papa Murphy's pizza in the fridge!

I really hope your local joint can keep going through this k8brown nightmare. I can't bring myself to get take out food that I don't eat in the car, like burger and fries. I cook all kinds of things. Been sole cook and bottle washer for well more than 30 years. i can cook as good or better than anywhere we ever go out to eat. Getting some thing delivered, or getting to go containers and then come home to eat cold/luke-warm food isn't something I can do.

I have always liked to cook.. just don't like to clean up. :rolleyes:

Since the wife got demetia tho, I have been the sole cook and clean up artist too. Eating a few TV dinners but they are too much salt and fat.

Our Senior Center has great meals! A full meal for only $3!! Now we can't go inside and eat. The "Meals on Wheels" boxes are prepared by the volunteer drivers instead of the paid staff, so we don't do that. But I can order meals and bring them home. Their Reuben sandwiches are really good for $3, and warm enough when I get them home.

Wifey tried their tacos once. Sounds like their meat comes in a big plastic bag and is spooged into the taco shell. With a nice half slice of some chees-like, processed, pasteurized substance with a cheese like color. :s0140:

Dang, I'm getting hungry now! Got some left over Papa Murphy's pizza in the fridge!

We did a family sized Papa's combo with a friend last week. Tuesday special for $15... $12 for a large.

Spam casserole tonight... I really miss being able to get together with family... we always have Prime Rib for New Year's.

Cooking a Safeway spiral cut ham tomorrow or Saturday.

Life is full of little dramas each day. That shouldn't even be worthy of remembering. But sometimes they linger despite out efforts to forget them and move on.

I hated doing drive-through before the Covid thing. My issue is that communication is bound to be not the best for technical reasons, plus the remove of the face-to-face at the squawk box. Then the menu at the drive-up seems to be not the same menu they have inside. Often I'm lured into the drive through these days because of something special that they've advertised on TV. Which sometimes isn't on the drive-through bill-of-faire. So I struggle but I'm mindful of those behind me. Which may be a contributing cause of why two out of three of the last times I've done drive-through during Covid the orders have been wrong.

The gap in the line. I'd never leave a gap near the squawk box so as to hinder the guy behind me in ordering. But because of long wait times in any kind of line, I have been known to shut the engine off to save gas. The guy ahead of me moves, I leave a gap until he moves again. Then I go advance two places. Not typically at drive-through food lines, though.

I've never experienced the following in a fast food drive-through line. But I have experienced certain customers ahead of me in retail lines, once they see my face, they prolong their check-out experience. Or crossing the street in the middle of the block as slowly as they can to block traffic. Because they can. It gives them power, no matter how petty or small.

I like the hat idea. In the car. Not on the street, maybe, because as an elder they might think you have a gun on you and it's worth the risk of trying to roll you.

The situation of being inside your car offers a little extra safety. As prey, you aren't quite as vulnerable. The bad guys don't know for sure what you've got in there and you're a bit harder to get at. I've been reading a few stories about Uber drivers. In bad areas, they never take the gear lever out of drive. Much less shut the engine off as I sometimes do to save gas.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top