JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If no one can buy a gun when the law goes into effect Dec 8th because there isn't a system in place for tests, permits and whatever, it becomes a defacto ban on new gun purchases which is an obvious 2A violation. So basically a class action lawsuit is in order, sue everyone that participated in writing and passing the law.

If no one can buy a gun when the law goes into effect Dec 8th because there isn't a system in place for tests, permits and whatever, it becomes a defacto ban on new gun purchases which is an obvious 2A violation. So basically a class action lawsuit is in order, sue everyone that participated in writing and passing the law.
Judge will likely grant the motion for injunction. Also OSP is working on a rule to allow a delay in enforcement until rules can be approved. I have no concerns that we won't be able to buy guns on Dec 09.

'… I'm actually a little disappointed that none the other groups haven't filed anything yet.'
SAF is waiting until the rules are written, to know specifically which arguments to make:
'The Firearms Protection Coalition and Second Amendment Foundation have signaled that they are sitting on the sidelines until it is clear how Oregon officials plan to proceed with its implementation.'

SAF is waiting until the rules are written, to know specifically which arguments to make:
'The Firearms Protection Coalition and Second Amendment Foundation have signaled that they are sitting on the sidelines until it is clear how Oregon officials plan to proceed with its implementation.'

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see how that works out!

Sounds like waiting until the house burns down to buy batteries for the smoke detectors.

They better not!! So if the state takes a year or more to actually announce the rules to get a permit... SAF an FPC are gonna sit on their hands and let the law stay in effect without challenge all that time??? The unconstitutional nature of the measure should be more than sufficient to challenge it instead of waiting around to see just exactly the procedure they will implement to act on the unconstitutional law.

I have to think there might be a miscommunication on their intent. That's not consistent with how most laws are challenged... based on the procedural aspects of an illegal law, I mean.

This is why OFF has been getting 100% of my donations RE 114. When they start walking the walk they get $$$ but not before. OFF is currently the tip of the spear while others continua to warm the benches.

Judge will likely grant the motion for injunction. Also OSP is working on a rule to allow a delay in enforcement until rules can be approved. I have no concerns that we won't be able to buy guns on Dec 09.
I read elsewhere this almost-certainly correct assessment: if Judge Immergut grants the injunction, OR will appeal to the 9th; if she does not, OFF will appeal to the 9th. Both appeals are probably mostly written already ...

Presuming 9th accepts the appeal - they can refuse, but I don't know why they would - this is likely to add about a month to the final grant/denial of the preliminary injunction. I don't know what that does to implementing the law on Dec 8 or whenever.

See also the web site for the 9th, https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/. And since we've been doing a little judge watching, note that the current chief judge, Mary H. Murguia, is an anti. Might make prior chief judge Sydney Thomas look moderate.

What should happen in the meantime is the parties continue to prepare for the trial phase while the appeal runs.

I read elsewhere this almost-certainly correct assessment: if Judge Immergut grants the injunction, OR will appeal to the 9th; if she does not, OFF will appeal to the 9th. Both appeals are probably mostly written already ...

Presuming 9th accepts the appeal - they can refuse, but I don't know why they would - this is likely to add about a month to the final grant/denial of the preliminary injunction. I don't know what that does to implementing the law on Dec 8 or whenever.

See also the web site for the 9th, https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/. And since we've been doing a little judge watching, note that the current chief judge, Mary H. Murguia, is an anti. Might make prior chief judge Sydney Thomas look moderate.

What should happen in the meantime is the parties continue to prepare for the trial phase while the appeal runs.
Ninth is in interesting territory right now, so regardless of their particular bent (mostly anti, as we know) they should at least be marginally aware at the optics of their own legitimacy vs. their activism since Bruen was handed down. The danger of them directly challenging SCOTUS could very well (and likely) lead to a more direct/explicit ruling that completely guts the lower courts' ability to justify certain restrictions. In essence, "don't make Daddy get the paddle."
We've seen even the left NY Supreme Court acknowledge Bruen and hold their legislature to account. If Ninth wants to play activist, don't be surprised if SCOTUS hears an emergency appeal and Thomas drops a mandingo hammer down on the heads of the Ninth.

FFLs will still be able to buy guns.

Please see this: https://centraloregondaily.com/oregon-measure-114-gun-law-constitution-supreme-court/?f...

In Youtube...Law professor:Oregon Measure 114 may not see full implementation for years

I have seen this woman journalistic investigator before on the 114 issues and she seem to be a sharp cookie. This is a good video. What do you think of the video?
He continued on to explain SCOTUS will likely not see the case for at least three to four years. This means that December 8 is not expected to be the start date for the new law, as announced earlier this month.
Pretty much what I said - years out to a resolution.

I could see the "no sale of magazines over 10" being enforced statewide while the permit system is in limbo. The Dems in Salem will give off-duty LEOs a carve out to keep their OSP attack dogs from turning on them.
With Duncan, that part looks really vulnerable. Don't know how the court will deal with another case in the 9th on that topic; it's not unusual for a court to put a case 'on hold' for the result of another case, but they don't have to do that.

Duncan and other cases have events on Dec 12.

This might be good news for the now . if its authentic

Law professor: Oregon Measure 114 may not see full implementation for years
Just another example of the skewed media picking a "learned scholar" by title to push the narrative. I saw more of that interview and the guys not at all well grounded.

Just in that short blurb, he's saying the permit will likely be upheld as constitutional?? In what world does he live in where a subjective "may issue" permit is not considered an unconstituional infringement.... and in no way supported by text and history. Isn't it in his job description to be aware of the SC Bruen decision that smacked down exactly that type of infringement?

Not that it matters what he thinks, anyway, but that sort of lefty cherry picking to support their narrative always pushes my buttons. If the truth doesn't support your position... adjust the truth... not your position.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top