JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just got an alert from the Portland Bureau of Emergency Mangement to all NET/CERT volunteers: "today's scheduled drill is cancelled".

Yes, because nothing puts the damper on disaster drills like an actual disaster.

I was 9 years old in 62 and that storm is one thing I do remember. In Tacoma where I still live I believe the winds hit 105-110mph and our old house was creeking and you could feel the wind through the thin single pain windows. We had a Fox Terrier at the time and he kept going in and out thinking it was a great time.
James

Yikes! All of us down here in SW Oregon, (43N 123W; kinda) are also getting ready. Time on target. The perfect storm. Folks we is serious here. Forecast is for over 100 mph winds and 40 foot surf on the SW Oregon Coast? We may get 12++ inches in 3 days. We were first going to travel to see a good winter storm pound the shore but changed our minds. Do not want to die. Will be watching that creek water levels. Will advise. More Yikes!! :(

Thank you for that blog weather site. Book marked.

We have Flash Flood Watches from tonight through Sunday. The main issue in this neck of the woods is heavy rain on severely burned forest areas. (Actually, areas that used to be forest.) Last Tuesday our fire chief posted some maps of the burn damage within and on the boundaries of the Pioneer Fire. There were a LOT of nuked areas (think of the soil more or less turned to powder due to high heat...the trees are history) where water won't soak in and will run off in a hurry. The NWS will be releasing an updated forecast within the hour, so I'll be interested to see if they stick with a Watch or escalate to a Warning.

Fortunately (?) I'll be in the Tri-Cities this weekend where a 120 MPH wind is considered a mild breeze....o_O

Anyone up for trying this?
;) :rolleyes:

funny-military-soldier-pics.jpg

Seems weather as usual for the NW . It wont stop me from hunting SAT. But probably ought to bring a chainsaw got kind of stuck the year before last when a tree feel on the only road in or out.

So, I'm the guy that keeps all the telco lines in the air and working, sort of working, but at any rate this blow coming in Saturday should be a corker I hear.
Long days, long nights and all that rot you know.
But here's the best part,,, my flight leaves at O dark thirty for a week in Los Vegas on Saturday.
Oh my coworkers are besides themselfs,, the teeth knashing, the wailing.
I'm the "senior" of the group in more ways than one and Vegas here I come!
I hear it's gonna be 75-85 all week:D

So, I'm the guy that keeps all the telco lines in the air and working, sort of working, but at any rate this blow coming in Saturday should be a corker I hear.
But here's the best part,,, my flight leaves at O dark thirty for a week in Los Vegas on Saturday.
*GOOD * timing and good time to be had!:D

Last Edited:
Meh.

I went through the '62 storm - I was 8 years old. I survived.

I've been through a few storms since too.

Our weather guys today are a lot better than they were 44 years ago. I don't think that we will have a "massive" storm this weekend. It will get a bit windy in Seattle, but just breezy here.

I don't know about today's weather people, certainly the technology is much better! Perhaps the TV weather folks are best at hype and hyperbole!
I hear that to tell what is happening with the local weather, the meteorologists step outside and look east. If you can see Mount Hood, it's cloudy! If not it's raining! :cool:

I don't know about today's weather people, certainly the technology is much better! Perhaps the TV weather folks are best at hype and hyperbole!
I hear that to tell what is happening with the local weather, the meteorologists step outside and look east. If you can see Mount Hood, it's cloudy! If not it's raining! :cool:

You nailed it Sgt. Just got into the shop and it's a little sporty down here, nothing too heavy yet. But I kind of like it when their wrong like this.

Windy forecast means different things to different folks. Living in a hilly wooded part of town with above ground power lines, I've charged up everything in the house that makes light or phone calls. Plenty of water in the "bomb shelter."

Then there's that 100'+ fir tree behind the bedroom. I might just move downstairs for a night if it goes above 25-30kt.

And you planned it that way, us Telco guys are so smart!!!:D
Enjoy your vacation John, you've earned it.;)

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top