JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "clip fed" comments are just ribbing about your calling a detachable box magazine a "clip". It was acceptable terminology in the gun world in decades past, but is a major taboo nowadays. (I still call them a clip sometimes, though, when nobody's looking) :)

Taboo, nah...I believe in freedom of speech and am secure enough to use clip in and amongst the black rifle crowd. Somebody has to educate them :s0140:

Best wishes OP

50 lashes with a wet noodle. As long as you don't call it a "30 caliber magazine clip".

That warrants the death penalty.

Kind of extreme, don't you think? :) That kind of terminal stupidity makes for some great soundbites and memes. We've gotten some great ones over the years, from "30 caliber magazine clips", to the "shoulder thing that goes up", to Beto's "We ARE going to take your guns". Let them open their ignorant mouths and show the world how lazy they are.

I just looked up C@R July 11 2019 was the post I found. After 50 years they become exempt. These are 1962 and 1964.. EXEMPT. Thanks for the info. Never to old to learn.
For your other question both have wooden handguards

You might be correct on the manufacture year but may wish to double check - especially if you market them as C&R eligible.

Here is a link to a History of Marlin firearms. It references on pages 310 -313 that 989M1 was made from 1964 to 1978 and 989M2 was made from 1964 to 1974.

Here is another Marlin Look up:

If they are older Marlins, I would expect them to have a two letter code instead of serial number - one for month and one for year of manufacture.

Regarding C&R:

at least 50 years old

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list.
Curios & Relics | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ...
https://www.atf.gov › firearms › curios-relics

Last Edited:
I've got a mint Colt Python that I'm thinking of selling, What should I call that roundy spinning thing that you put shells in?

It's a rotary magnum, cop-killer, Mag-clip thingy, with multiple bullets-chamber holes for rapid firing.

You could even have a gunsmith fit a 7-shot 9mm cylinder to it, one that uses high-capacity clips. :)

1573530260965.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews