JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://westseattle.komonews.com/node/146741

Is this one of use on the boards?

A Kent man has written to the Seattle Parks Department informing them that he plans to "exercise his right to bear arms" by carrying a holstered Glock pistol to the Southwest Community Center tomorrow at noon.

Bob Warden says his actions are in protest of the City of Seattle's recent decision to ban firearms from certain community centers and parks where children are typically present.

Warden says he has a current valid State of Washington License to Carry a Concealed Weapon.

He also writes that he is an attorney, licensed to practice in Washington, and that when he took his Oath of Attorney he promised to support the constitution.

"Put bluntly, Seattle Parks and Recreation Rule P 060 – 8.14 was promulgated in knowing and blatant violation of state and federal law," Warden wrote in an e-mail.

While Warden's plan may sound radical he says that he is not looking for "any kind of uncivil confrontation" and that he will comply with any instruction given to him by law enforcement personnel or any City of Seattle official.

Seattle Parks has not yet responded to our request for comment.

Last month, several organizations and five city residents filed a lawsuit challenging the new gun bans.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/412168_gun14.html

By SCOTT SUNDE
SEATTLEPI.COM

A Kent man has announced that he intends to carry a pistol into a West Seattle community center on Saturday to trigger a lawsuit challenging Seattle's ban on guns in public spaces.

Bob Warden, 44, announced his intentions in an e-mail Friday morning to media as well as to the City of Seattle, including the police and city attorney.

"As a courtesy, this is advance notice that at noon tomorrow, Saturday, November 14, I plan to exercise my legal right to bear arms in Seattle's Southwest Community Center, 2801 SW Thistle Street," Warden said in his e-mail. "I will be safely and securely carrying my holstered Glock pistol. I have a current valid State of Washington License to Carry Concealed."

He also described the Tacoma Rainiers baseball cap he will be wearing so that he can be spotted.

Seattle parks officials have not yet responded to a request for comment.

"I'm not looking for any trouble," Warden said in an interview. He said he will comply with whatever instructions police or parks officials give him.

But whether he is turned away or cited for trespassing, Warden said the incident should give him standing to sue to challenge the ban.

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said on Oct. 14 that guns would be banned on such city facilities as parks and community centers where children gather. Signs banning guns have been posted at city parks.

Late last month, gun-rights advocates sued, saying the ban violates state law.

But Warden, a licensed attorney in the state, says he worries that the earlier lawsuit may be thrown out because those who filed it lack legal standing.

Warden said he does not actively practice law. He said he works in labor relations for the federal government but would not describe his job further.

He said he is taking the action because he believes the ban is illegal. He noted that the state Attorney General's Office has said so.

"They know full well it's illegal, but they went ahead and did it anyway," Warden said.

Warden described himself as a political independent, but a man who has probably voted for only two Republicans in his life.

He said he is not a member of the National Rifle Association, but was certified by that organization as a pistol instructor. He said he uses the certification in his volunteer work with the Boy Scouts.

"I'm not some gun rights nut," he said.

more power to the man for making it public what he is doing and why. I guess technically i'm breaking the law on a daily basis, there are so many parks and community centers in Seattle it's impossible and downright stupid to avoid all of them. I still carry to the local beach because of a few shootings that have happened there over the years and i still carry to the local parks because it's a ridiculous notion that a sign is going to stop someone with the intent to harm or kill someone. The only thing it could potentially stop is the responsible citizen from doing what i think we all know should be done in a situation like that.

My prediction: knowing they are without legal grounds, the officials willl play the coward and fail to show. They know the man is on solid legal ground, will have standing to bring suit, and will follow through. As long as this illegal bit of law is on the books, they can continue to harrass law abiding citizens. Once removed, they are done.

It is time someone put "PAID" to this farce, but my guess is the city officials willl not cooperate. They'd rather continue to play the cowards they are. What it will take, I believe, is for someone like this to simply be accosted by a LEO who is out to "enforce the law", legal or no. Announcing his intent, and the reasoning behind it, ahead of time, they will not likely jig to his fiddle. Though I sincerely hope they do. But, until someone is specifically harmed in an established time and place and manner, there is no one with unassailable standing to take this farce down.

My prediction: knowing they are without legal grounds, the officials willl play the coward and fail to show. They know the man is on solid legal ground, will have standing to bring suit, and will follow through. As long as this illegal bit of law is on the books, they can continue to harrass law abiding citizens. Once removed, they are done.

It is time someone put "PAID" to this farce, but my guess is the city officials willl not cooperate. They'd rather continue to play the cowards they are. What it will take, I believe, is for someone like this to simply be accosted by a LEO who is out to "enforce the law", legal or no. Announcing his intent, and the reasoning behind it, ahead of time, they will not likely jig to his fiddle. Though I sincerely hope they do. But, until someone is specifically harmed in an established time and place and manner, there is no one with unassailable standing to take this farce down.

Ditto. I will be surprised if the powers that be call his bluff, but we can always hope.

Some time back I read of a high school student, a young chap, who had brought his .22 rifle to school in the boot of his car, which he'd left in the car park. He'd totally forgot he'd had the gun out over the weekend. Seems he was on some sort of match shooting team, and had been to an event or practice the weekend. not sure, but I seem to recall it was something related to the school.

Somehow he was found out, arrested for bringing a firearm onto school property, gun confiscated, and he was suspended from school.. an honours student, if memory serves.

So, no, I rather doubt any schools these days woulld field a marksmanship team as a school sanctioned sport.

I do know a number of homeschooling families whose sons (and a couple daughters as well) are on an olympic level marksmanship team..... and do rather well. They own the Anschutz match grade air rifles, and one .22 target model as well. Bought them with their own money. One more advantage of homeschooling.. no stupid restrictions in regards what one may or mayn't have on "school" property... its also their home.

those kids are also very proficient with pistols.... pity the BG who takes the notion to invade THEIR home whilst the parents are away!! Their Dad is an NRA instructor with many certifications... and the sons have all taken many of the classes he teaches. And others as well.

So, no, I rather doubt any schools these days woulld field a marksmanship team as a school sanctioned sport.

Actually your wrong.

Black Hills High School AND Tumwater High School BOTH have a Shooting Team. They shoot down at the Littlerock Gun Club. They were going to scrap the program this year at both High Schools due to budget cuts, however, the coaches volunteered to do it FREE of charge, and the program continues. I was on the rifle team in 1992 and 93. I graduated from Tumwater High School in 95 and the team was still going strong then.

Just letting you know that there are still some good folks out there keeping the spirit of marksmanship alive with our youth... in our part of the world!:s0155:

Go Thurston County!!!

He walked in, legally armed, and was asked to leave, and he did.

He now feels he has "legal standing" to take this issue to court. We are going to have to wait and see what happens.

<broken link removed>

Jaybo sez:

Actually your wrong.

Black Hills High School AND Tumwater High School BOTH have a Shooting Team.

Hey, this is one time I'm really glad to hear I'm wrong. This is great news. I keep getting surprised and encouraged, by this sort of thing, right here in Thurston County. As many OTHER issues we have here with the local government (and the state house right here in town) this sort of news is still very welcome. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'd still be curious as to whether a senior student could legally drive his car to school, gun and ammo in tronk, then on to the range after for some practice.... or, could they all take a school bus to an out-or-area event, guns in belly locker, like the football team can take a bus to their games, equipment in the same lockers..... I could guess which way THAT wsould go,.... and hope I'd be wrong again.

once more, thanks for the good news.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads