JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He's a lawyer and he has the law on his side.

A little voice is telling me that I wish he had politely refused to leave. I believe he would have either been left alone or arrested. Had he been arrested, I think his "standing" and "damages" would have skyrocketed.

He went there to send a message. I'm glad he did, for sure. Kudos to him. :s0155:

This is the sort of pro-active, "fight" that I think will get a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise support this sort of thing to think. Yeah, even in Seattle! :s0155:

Props to him for handling it correctly, being professional, and strengthing the case he will be bringing in front of the court. Someone should buy that man a soda.

Next, how would it be were a few DOZEN others, licensed to carry concealed, or carrying open, did the same.... and conducted themselves in similar fashion, and ALL got the boot. Then, go and join him in a class action suit against the city and parks department. One man, perhaps a court could wave their hand and toss it (though I've a feeling this chap will appeal) But a dozen or more, all with the same complaint...... seeking damages...... and corrective action, striking that illegal order, perhaps also taking the INDIVIDUAL nutjobs to special account for their brazen disregard for the law..... maybe the City would tire of wasting their manpower to deal with it.... although they should have considered that before proceeding with this charade.

Hmmmph, and Chump Change Nickels is regarded as a "model mayor" in many circles...... methinks he's a great companion for the likes of a few other prominent office-holding individuals........ those who are astute will know their names.

Interesting thing about this is the guy says he is a "gun-rights-loving Democrat" which is all the more reason why the media will have a hard time pegging him as a "right-winger".

Hopefully this fact can get through the typical media-bias that all people who support the second amendment are just right-wing whack job "gun nuts".

<broken link removed>

Update fellas....

A legal suit has been filed.. :D

Warden said he is seeking "nominal damages" of $1, plus attorney fees and court costs.

He said he wants the court to award punitive damages against Nickels "to be sufficient to effectively deter future Washington municipal officials from behaving with reckless or callous disregard for federally protected rights."

<broken link removed>

Update fellas....

A legal suit has been filed.. :D

Warden said he is seeking "nominal damages" of $1, plus attorney fees and court costs.

He said he wants the court to award punitive damages against Nickels "to be sufficient to effectively deter future Washington municipal officials from behaving with reckless or callous disregard for federally protected rights."

<broken link removed>

Interesting. He filed it in Federal Court. It's a US Constitutional 2nd Amendment test rather than a test of Washington's constitution or of Washington's statutes or settled court cases.

He could have filed in State court pleading Washington law, but he's after the national agenda - 2A.

I'll bet he doesn't want a jury. Hard to find 12 people who would unanimously agree that he should have carried that gun in there. Better a bench trial and let a judge decide on the law alone. Wanna bet?

$.02

PS He's looking for huge monetary damages.

How much, considering the size of Seattle, is enough "to be sufficient to effectively deter future Washington municipal officials from behaving with reckless or callous disregard for federally protected rights."

He's looking for a shocker to deter future similar behavior by any and all observers, especially other municipalities. "Punitive Damages."

PS He's looking for huge monetary damages.

How much, considering the size of Seattle, is enough "to be sufficient to effectively deter future Washington municipal officials from behaving with reckless or callous disregard for federally protected rights."

He's looking for a shocker to deter future similar behavior by any and all observers, especially other municipalities. "Punitive Damages."

PS Note that if he prevails, a Federal case will affect all states and municipalities. He's after the whole enchilada. If he prevails under 2A and it's appealed, it could eventually go the the US Supreme Court about 12 years from now. :)

Also, with punitive damages, the court must decide how deep the pockets are of the defendant. An amount that would soundly deter you or me or private observers from "ever doing something like that again" wouldn't worry Seattle and other large cities. Any award here would have to be huge. That's the law.

I'd say that's a typo. If that's in the suit, yes, the court will allow him to amend it because it's obvious what he meant.

It might just be the paper or even the web site because they are paraphrasing, obviously.

We'd have to see the actual pleadings...

This case is one in million. I doubt he'll ever end up suing.

But why did he leave when asked to? Is that how brave patriots behave? Make a big statement in the press, how you are going to show up and exercise your rights, threaten a big lawsuit to take down the liberal establishment? Then some senior citizen says please leave, and you do? And this guy is a hero? Heck, he didn't even have the guts to inconvenience himself by getting kicked out? Let alone arrested to set up a real legal showdown on the issue?

He's a pansy. Even California college students have more guts. http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/20/california.tuition.protests/

I'm unimpressed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads