JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Contact the NRA and tell them you expect them to also mount a defense at the local level, if not at the time legislation is being pushed forward, in the courts afterwards.

Your donation money is a finite resource, and if you have to choose between an organization that isn't focused on the local level, while local legislation is being enacted, then the money needs to be prioritized with organizations that will act at the local level in our interests.

NRA Lifetime Member, also of GOA and contribute to OFF - independently of membership whenever I can. In my view, writing liberal democratic representatives and senators is blowing in the wind.

NRA Lifetime Member, also of GOA and contribute to OFF - independently of membership whenever I can. In my view, writing liberal democratic representatives and senators is blowing in the wind.

I don't have any allusions that I can sway the legislators that represent my district, sadly. It's also a small time sink though so even if it's a wasted effort it's better than nothing.

Like i said, I think it's just as, if not more effective to let NRA leadership know of our disappointment, and also where you're forced to prioritize your donations..

Last Edited:
I believe it would be helpful to spread out your donations to multiple gun rights groups even if you don't like their style. Legislators won't know that you belong to 5 different groups but it will make each groups membership larger. Buy in at minimum membership level and give more to the one you really like. I think they are all doing good work at some level.
Yup! That's what I did. I spread it around but focused more $$ on local organizations even though I belong/support each of them. If anyone wants to bash them, then do it directly to the organization.

& what Dwesson said
I don't have any allusions that I can sway the legislators that represent my district, sadly. It's also a small time sink though so even if it's a wasted effort it's better than nothing.
Like i said, I think it's just as, if not more effective to let NRA leadership know of our disappointment, and also where you're forced to prioritize your donations..

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
NRA is nationally focused... However with what should be a friendly Senate and WH.... I think they can afford to shift focus to new battlegrounds...

NRA has many faults, but they are still the most viable and comprehensive 2nd amendment defense we have in many ways.

I wish they'd operate differently at times... But just as we need to be contacting legislators... we should be contacting our 2a protection groups and make ourselves heard.

Call your local Republican party office and tell them you expect a unified message on gun rights. If you're a liberal gun owner... Do the same for your liberal legislators and party officials.
God knows they don't have to do this to stay in power around here.

We can take nothing for granted anymore nor can we expect traditional allies to always act properly. They must all be reminded.

NRA is nationally focused... However with what should be a friendly Senate and WH.... I think they can afford to shift focus to new battlegrounds...

NRA has many faults, but they are still the most viable and comprehensive 2nd amendment defense we have in many ways.

I wish they'd operate differently at times... But just as we need to be contacting legislators... we should be contacting our 2a protection groups and make ourselves heard.

Call your local Republican party office and tell them you expect a unified message on gun rights. If you're a liberal gun owner... Do the same for your liberal legislators and party officials.
God knows they don't have to do this to stay in power around here.

We can take nothing for granted anymore nor can we expect traditional allies to always act properly. They must all be reminded.
I wish they and 3rd parties didn't send me so much junk mail

Patron Life NRA here, but I haven't sent them anything lately. I share some of the negative sentiment, especially with things like bump stocks, their history of compromise, etc., and fear for the future as do we all. However, I also recognize that they're the biggest target out there for anti-gunners. They just won't get more of my money until they change, and I use my status as a life member to vote every time for their board members (as all should who have that capability). There's one going on right now, in fact, so check your Feb issue of American Rifleman and mail those ballots in.

I've sent significant and regular contributions to SAF, GOA and ISAA (Idaho 2A Alliance) for the last 2 years pretty much exclusively, as I think they do more for local groups here. I notify my R-reps/senators to maintain their 2A voting, as it's never a sure thing anymore. I fear the Boise (or State of Ada, as is said sometimes) juggernaut turning ever bluer, thus turning Idaho purple sooner than others might think. It might not go to the level of OR/WA quite as quickly, but then again, I'm sure many thought the same thing a few years back.

I had several coworkers telling me to transfer to WA since it was more gun-friendly than where I was. When I told 'em they weren't far behind... well they ain't laughin' now, but neither am I (I take no satisfaction in being right). It should serve as a reminder to everyone to remain ever vigilant.

I sure love seeing Unity at work,o_O all we need is to work together they said, o_Ofind common ground they said.

We have some Unity of our own going on here is Oregon, :eek: can' wait for that common ground solutions.o_O
So we can share our common values with Washington and California !
:s0137::s0137::s0137::s0137:

If only NRA spent at least those $5.1M here in WA on radio and TV ads, 2nd rallies, supporting pro-2nd political campaigns, school firearm programs, etc.
Forget about it! Instead they paid that money to their retired King.
NRA is a bluff, a strawman. Democrats, in fact, love NRA. They use NRA every time they want to scare and consolidate their cattle.
And for many conservatives NRA is just a comfort zone, an illusion of security.
everyone needs to remember that the NRA has 49 other Stated and the Feds to deal with too. They can't be everywhere, all the time.

If anyone has a friendly legislator on one of those committees, ask them to submit an amendent, or propose one aloud, ON CAMERA, an amendment that no security staff of any state politician can possess any magazine or weapon banned by "this law" while on duty guarding said politician. Make sure that is on camera and try to get the facial expressions of the well-guarded liberals who support this ban.

If anyone has a friendly legislator on one of those committees, ask them to submit an amendent, or propose one aloud, ON CAMERA, an amendment that no security staff of any state politician can possess any magazine or weapon banned by "this law" while on duty guarding said politician. Make sure that is on camera and try to get the facial expressions of the well-guarded liberals who support this ban.

Manufacturers should step up and refuse to sell banned items to LE in these states

Please lets not turn this into yet another:
My gun rights group is better than your sucky gun rights group.Andy

I came across the following and thought it was appropriate:

Excerpt from A FIVE-MINUTE HANDBOOK FOR GUN-RIGHTS ACTIVISTS*

THE NRA STINKS. So does GOA, SAF, JPFO, and
any or all of the rest of the gun-rights groups. At
the same time, all of these organizations are the
best thing since sliced bread. We won't keep our
rights without them. It's normal to love them and
hate them at the same time. Be sure your
complaints about them go to the person who can
do something about your problem. Never give up
your membership—it's much easier to fix things
from the inside. Avoid griping in public—our
opponents love it when we do. Always handle our
dirty laundry behind closed doors. Always.

*Copyright © 2000 by [email protected]. All rights reserved.
Reproduction or distribution is permitted with this copyright notice attached.

Last Edited:
If they actually cared about our rights, and were just ignorant, they would give some time between passing bills to see if the last one was effective... apparently "spray and prey" is for gun probibition is what they're after.

And yeah, that's an intentional typo.

I believe it would be helpful to spread out your donations to multiple gun rights groups even if you don't like their style. Legislators won't know that you belong to 5 different groups but it will make each groups membership larger. Buy in at minimum membership level and give more to the one you really like. I think they are all doing good work at some level.

I agree, but,? The overall 2A has to be numbers of like minded gun owners today. It should NOT be dollars to defend to keep a right.
If we had the organized numbers to tell any politician that we will elect them out of office, and proved that to them via numbers, polls, signature ballots etc. They would turn to our side quicker than a rattler can strike behind him.
What we are not, is a united voice with numbers of like minded citizens.

Well, I like to think that they at least know that not everyone is in lockstep with their thinking. And given that these form letter from NRA-ILA take all of 10 seconds to send I figure, why not?

Agreed and I think most if not all of us on this forum are trying to do that.
I was mostly curious about what "trading" was going on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top