JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchased a rifle from Curt's with the key-mod hand guard. Small diameter and not "Cheese Grater". Very comfortable. The problem is I went to attach sling with a Troy swivel. The key-mod mount went on the rail fine, but the swivel piece wont go in the mount all the way because the hole in the rail is too small.

Question: Are there two sizes quick release swivel mounts? Or is it as @dwaineshort says above, and I'm screwed and needing to buy another rail?

I'd go talk to Curt :)

Keymod rail adapter and a rail sling mount if you don't want another handguard.

Quite an AR noob, but I feel I don't want the extra clutter, on this "Svelte?" rail.

Is it a Diamondhead? Long story, but they have had a bad run. My LGS is working with both Stag and Diamondhead on this. I can update more next week when hopefully this is all resolved. I needed to go to my LGS after the lack of response from Stag and, especially, Diamondhead. Talk to whomever sold you the handguard. My LGS found two in his stock that were out of spec. Stag sent him two replacements, both out of spec.
Good luck!

There are no markings on the rail, on the outside anyway. Brand is unknown at this time.

I'd go talk to Curt :)

I Will do that. I thought I was missing something obvious. Did that already not too long after I bought the rifle. Took a part in to Curt's, with a question and ended up doing the "DOH!", with the forehead slap. :oops:

The photo shows the rail mount in place. The sling swivel need to go into the mount and protrude through the rail slightly. The holes in the hand guard are, barely, too small for that.

P1040294.JPG

That's the exact problem I have as well. Bought the gun (Stag) new from LGS. Bought a keymod QD fitting so I could have a sling mount. QD fitting would not go in. Posted a question on the local gun board here in PA and somebody suggested a deeper profile adapter (already defeating the sleek low profile benefit). Got the same answer from Stag. OK. I find one on Amazon and order up. Came in, looks great, the entire QD barrel can fit without needing to go through the keymod. Except...

The new adapter has a "lock ring" that needs to fit into the keymod. Now I really start doing my homework. I find the keymod specs in a technical drawing. The round part of the hole is supposed to be .380". QD posts are supposed to be .375". The holes on my Diamondhead keymod are .348", maybe .350" if you scraped all the finish off. Maybe I could hammer it in?
;)

Contact Stag again. No answer after 2 weeks. Never even had a response from Diamondhead from my first inquiry, probably over a month ago. To say I am not happy is an understatement.

I took the whole thing and dumped in on my local LGS. He seems to be getting responses anyway and working toward a resolution. I will withhold my condemnation of either company until it is completely resolved. I expect a lot more than this from a +$1k rifle. Stag 3T-M 5.56/.223.

As I said earlier, my LGS had two more guns in stock with out of spec hand guards. Stag sent him two more, both out of spec. Now waiting for Diamondhead to send him two more replacements.

This is obviously a QC problem but getting the companies involved and actively resolving it/admitting a problem is frustrating. I can't help but think of the poor sod that buys one of these and does not realize the problem until months, or years later. Not the way I expect to see businesses behave.

Quite an AR noob, but I feel I don't want the extra clutter, on this "Svelte?" rail.

There are no markings on the rail, on the outside anyway. Brand is unknown at this time.

I Will do that. I thought I was missing something obvious. Did that already not too long after I bought the rifle. Took a part in to Curt's, with a question and ended up doing the "DOH!", with the forehead slap. :oops:

The photo shows the rail mount in place. The sling swivel need to go into the mount and protrude through the rail slightly. The holes in the hand guard are, barely, too small for that.

View attachment 329575

I can't help but think of the poor sod that buys one of these and does not realize the problem until months, or years later.

That would be me I guess. "Poor Sod". Bought the rifle Black Friday sale 2015. I don't HAVE to have a sling, but I thought that's what you do with your AR. Put an optic on it pretty quick and just took my time with this. I've had the sling and mounting parts for some time.

No disrespect meant!
:D

Wow. That makes it even worse than I thought. When I started looking into this it was like I was the only one to ever have this problem, or I was doing something wrong. If this goes back a year or more... multiply that time by the rifle sales since Killary was running. How many folks have these and don't realize they are _____ed?
(I'm new around here...do I type what I want, and the site inserts the bubblegum?)

Anyway, to get the thread back on topic. I really like the keymod. I would probably like the M-LOK for the same reasons. Low profile, weight. Based on my experience so far, next time I might lean towards the M-LOK!

That would be me I guess. "Poor Sod". Bought the rifle Black Friday sale 2015. I don't HAVE to have a sling, but I thought that's what you do with your AR. Put an optic on it pretty quick and just took my time with this. I've had the sling and mounting parts for some time.

No disrespect meant!
:D

None taken my Oregon bound friend!

Something doesn't make sense about this. Maybe there's a proprietary QD ring for this "Style" rail? Or a rail mount that's taller and the QD doesn't need to be into the rail? :s0153:

I sure find myself using the head scratch & shoulder shrug icons more than I should! LOL That must be part of being a "Sod". :s0112:

Not that I have found, anyway. The keymod, like other forms of standardization, is supposed to be just that, a standard. It was invented by VLTOR and the standards were published for others to use. I will try to attach a drawing...

You might be a sod if that is you in your avatar, but something tells be it not
:cool: Keymod_slot.JPG

None taken my Oregon bound friend!

Something doesn't make sense about this. Maybe there's a proprietary QD ring for this "Style" rail? Or a rail mount that's taller and the QD doesn't need to be into the rail? :s0153:

I sure find myself using the head scratch & shoulder shrug icons more than I should! LOL That must be part of being a "Sod". :s0112:

I personally own 2 rifles with KMR and 1 with M-LOK.

I have had no issues with either rail system, but do prefer the ease of mounting with the KMR system. The M-LOK just requires more time.

I debated this a lot and decided on buying a complete rifle. I had pretty much convinced myself I wanted a BCM and then one showed up here in the classifieds and I jumped on it.

BCM only does Keymod so by deciding on that manufacturer I also decided on the type of rail. I had always wanted to try one of the Magpul angled foregrips but they won't work on Keymod without modification or a Keymod->MLOCK or Keymod->Picatinny adapter. The accessories I do have lock in SOLID. I'm very happy with Keymod.
I have an update on my BCM Keymod Handguard. My flashlight in a BCM mount fell off my rifle at the range and some of my other accessories loosened up. I ended up using purple Loctite 222 (for small fasteners) and it has survived a bunch of range trips and a carbine class. Definitely make sure your surface is clean and everything is lined up but a little amount of thread-locker definitely helps. Keymod accessories also have an arrow pointing towards the front of the weapon.

I have KeyMod, and MLOK. Neither is a favorite.
Of course there are more accessory availability with MLOK (now) than there were when I first got into KeyMod way back when.
I collected a fair amount of accessories for KM, buy it/try it/ nope, tossed in the box, NEXT!!
Until I eventually found where I wanted to be by doing that.
Then here come MLOK, OK, I'm in. Rinse/Repeat in the accessory category. LOL!!!!

With KeyMod, I adapted to my own creativity for for my needs. Four times on the same rail type.

Then there are those that were/ are not KeyMod, or MLOK.
Again, I got creative. And what I made looks the part and serves the need well.

Old thread.
M-LOK won that war.
Some are invested in Keymod and they will hang on.

Visually I never liked Keymod.
It copied warehouse shelving stanchion keyholes.
I think of a shelving stanchion when I see a Keymod rail.

M-LOK won because it's aesthetically more pleasing to the eye when unpopulated.
And its attachment method is robust.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top