JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if our Tactical Aficionados could chime in with the pros and cons of the various accessory mount systems.

M-LOK pros:
  • Supported by Magpul
  • Not dragging the weight of unused rail sections
  • Slimmer than quadrail
Cons:
  • Still kinda new
  • Requires tools to mount

Keymod pros:
  • Slimmer than quadrail
Cons:
  • Requires tools to mount rails
  • Still kinda new
  • Cheaper mounts may not always conform to spec

M1913 pros:
  • Industry- and military-standard
  • Easy mounting
Cons:
  • Fixed rails mean extra weight from unused sections
  • Bulky
  • Requires covers on unused sections for comfortable handling unless using foregrip

Anyone have anything to add to this? :)

Last Edited:
To be fair, the Mlok quick mounts JUST came out. Until then they were on par with the Keymod.

The reason I didnt like Mlok was when I first got a moe forearm for my AR it had Mlok slits, well.. One of the brackets used for mounting a vertical grip just kept spinning before it would anchor, and short of taking the whole forearm off it felt like it took longer to set before the keymod.
Where as the keymod would slip in and wthin a few turns of the allen wrench it was properly anchored.

So that has been my only Mlok experience and I didnt enjoy it. Keymod on the other hand has been quick and simple (mounting wise).

i have both keymod and mlok. both of mine are "super slim" and i like them for how light they are and they are WAY less bulky than a quadrail

one of my keymods.

image.jpeg

Well, considering that I *am* a "rifle virgin"* and still in planning stage on a first build... I'm trying to make sure I plan a build that most of you guys wouldn't mind owning, and I figured if *I'm* intimidated by the variety of parts and options out there there are probably others who could benefit from the Q&A too. :)

*Largely because only ONE (well, three, all based on the same platform) longarm I've ever handled has fit me well and *not* wrecked my misshapen shoulder firing it: the Thompson SMG family. (Live fire on M1928A1 and M1, "administrative and fit" only on the vertical-gripped 1921A--had an M16 checkout scheduled same day, but my 07/SOT friend forgot to bring spare firing pins. :( )

If you're a "rifle virgin" then go with a Daniel Defense free-float quad... may as well get "broke in" with the "rough stuff". You'll walk bow-legged, and it'll hurt to sit down for a while, but it'll make you a TRUE tactical operator if you go full picatinny.

:D

LOL, actually my gal is more the high-speed low-drag one... I just want something that'll work well in Close Quarters Home Defense.

Now my Flip Off Bloomie build, I may go Full Metal Mall Ninja on, but that's definitely not a Serious Work Rifle anyway...

Just wondering if our Tactical Aficionados could chime in with the pros and cons of the various accessory mount systems.

M-LOK pros:
  • Supported by Magpul
  • Slimmer than quadrail
Cons:
  • Still kinda new
  • Requires tools to mount

Keymod pros:
  • Slimmer than quadrail
Cons:
  • Requires tools to mount rails
  • Still kinda new

M1913 pros:
  • Industry- and military-standard
  • Easy mounting
Cons:
  • Fixed rails mean extra weight from unused sections
  • Bulky
  • Requires covers on unused sections for comfortable handling unless using foregrip

Anyone have anything to add to this? :)
Cheaper keymod rails might be out of spec there for attachments won't lock in place. Haven't seen that as an issue with mlok. Had that issue with a $150 rail I bought. Went online saw alot of people ran into that with hand full of different rail makers.

Cheaper keymod rails might be out of spec there for attachments won't lock in place. Haven't seen that as an issue with mlok. Had that issue with a $150 rail I bought. Went online saw alot of people ran into that with hand full of different rail makers.
Be careful of cheap M-Lok handguards. I bought one and then discovered that it wasn't machined on the inside properly. There actually is a spec, but some of the Chicom fabricators don't seem to be able to look it up. Took it back to the LGS, and they were pretty ticked off at the supplier. Immediately offered me a cash refund.

VHS or Beta Max?
I dunno, they both seem to accomplish the same thing. Long term, my money is on the one with the considerable weight of the Magpul name behind it...
But then again, I ain't much of an operator. My modern sporting rifle is used for 'yotes and sage rats. Heck, it doesn't even have any rails.

I have both, and frankly like the keymod better, mostly because it has less moving parts. I had a M-Lok rail section fall off while shooting, and discovered the little mounting nibs had sheered off. Cheap ones will do that I suppose, but it still gave me the willys. Maybe I over tightend it, but the keymod is just a screw.

Edit:
Sorry for the misinformation, and confusion, but it IS the Keymod, rather than the M-Lok that had the failure. I got them mixed up...
The M-Lok rail I have, a UTG PRO Slim, has rail sections, that screw directly onto the rail, rather than using the m-Lok device, so that is the less moving parts thing.

Last Edited:
Any opinion on which you like better?

thats a tough call. i really like both equally, i think. it seems to me that there are more mlok compatible accessories out there; i could be way wrong but, who knows anyway. i really like how guntec included rubber grommets to fill the empty mlok slots in my rail if i wanted to. i put them in and they look/feel nice. i havent seen anything like that for a keymod. They're both good. cant go wrong with either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top