JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Granted I don't know much other than the field strip on a 1911, they seemed pretty similar to that point.
In any case, the P226 will not disappoint.

Even field strip on a GI 1911 and 22x series gun have little in common. No pins to push out, no bushings on a 22x. The SigPro 2009/2043/2022 guns are a little closer as you push out the slide stop like a 1911 but thats about it.

To that end the CZ takedown is about identical to a sigpro.

All great guns but not a lot out there come apart quite like a 1911.

Starting to narrow down my field of interest
- CZ75 SP01 full size 18+1
- CZ75 P01 compact 14+1
- Browning Hi Power older Belgian surplus rebuilt 13+1

Still open to new ideas, but leaning toward getting one of the CZs and keeping an eye out for the right HP when it happens along.

For now? Decisions... decisions...

Good to see that CZ at the top of your list. As I said, your welcome to try mine in .40 at the club. Wifey has a the 75B in 9mm too that you could shoot.

Yeah, i'm Just crazy!

It could also be that my modern firearm experience is extremely limited, and all the automatic pistol diagrams I've looked into are 100 year old German and English designs.

Last Edited:
Yeah, i'm Just crazy!

It could also be that my modern firearm experience is extremely limited, and all the automatic pistol diagrams I've looked into are 100 year old German and English designs.

Almost all modern pistols take a cue of sorts from Browning designs - primarily the 1911 and P35 (Hi Power) - locked breach, recoil opartion. Sig improved it with the linkless design seen on the P22x family of guns and almost every modern handgun maker adopted the same.

The CZ75 family of guns takes heavy inspiration from the P35 and the Sig P210 - so it is little wonder they work so well and shoot so nicely. Plus all 3 are dead sexy. :D

- Browning Hi Power older Belgian surplus rebuilt 13+1

There is really no reason to limit yourself to a made in Belgium Hi Power. Any difference in quality is highly subjective and arguably non-existent.

Later HiPowers have some desirable features including a straight rather than humped feed ramp, ambidextrous safety, and most important to me, dovetailed front and rear sights. If you go all the way back to the 100% Belgian made HiPowers, the sights are horrible.

FM (Argentine) Hi Powers are very good guns, yes, no reason to limit to only Belgian guns.

I should clarify, I am only talking about FN/Browning HiPowers that are not considered Belgian made because they were assembled in Portugal. I think this started in the early seventies. I have no experience with HiPowers made in other countries.

Sexiest Compact in the world, right here...

CZ COMPACT SDP BLACK
91721.jpg

Sexiest Compact in the world, right here...

CZ COMPACT SDP BLACK
View attachment 406004

That's the pistol I want... the modern one I want anyway (CZ 75 P-01). Now it's a matter of finding one. Got to Rickreall on Saturday and realized I shouldn't have stopped for breakfast en route because somebody sold one an hour before I got there, the only one he's seen for awhile. I'll have to order one and wait until it comes in.

The other one I'll have to wait for is an older Browning Hi Power. I saw 3 in Rickreall, 2 beater dogs and a nice one, all way overpriced. If anyone reading this has a Belgian made BHP for sale, shoot me an IM.

I need both.

That's the pistol I want... the modern one I want anyway (CZ 75 P-01). Now it's a matter of finding one. Got to Rickreall on Saturday and realized I shouldn't have stopped for breakfast en route because somebody sold one an hour before I got there, the only one he's seen for awhile. I'll have to order one and wait until it comes in.

The other one I'll have to wait for is an older Browning Hi Power. I saw 3 in Rickreall, 2 beater dogs and a nice one, all way overpriced. If anyone reading this has a Belgian made BHP for sale, shoot me an IM.

I need both.
You could also shoot me the same PM...

Only have an Inglis right now...

I need both.

Actually, that P-01 SDP is close to the pistol I want. The one I've really been drooling for is the plain jane CZ 75 P-01 in non-SDP trim. Finally found one in stock today and ordered it (a nationwide search), waiting for it to arrive, hopefully within the week.

Cz 75 p01.jpg

Last Edited:
Finally got it yesterday. It was already dark outside so I had to wait until this morning to go shoot it (another compelling argument to move out of town to a place with a deserted hill in the back yard).

Shoots like a dream. Fits my hand perfectly. Recoil recovery is quick and sights are easy to acquire. Controls are instinctive. I dig the capacity. Feels like a keeper.

So now I want to pump 1000 rounds through it in the next week or two. What brand(s) of cheapo 9mm ball ammo do you guys and gals recommend I use for that project?

Any I should avoid?

Thanks.

BTW, I'll check it for reliable feeding of hollow points before it becomes a CCW piece.

Look seriously at the Browning Hi-Power. Same manual-of-arms as the .45GM. Hi-cap. Spare parts readily available. Battle-proven design for more than 80 years. Feels very good in the hand (YMMV of course). Takes a suppressor very well too. Lots of excellent gunsmiths understand it intimately and know how to work on it. Lots of carry gear and custom parts available to configure the system it to your exact tastes.

If you go with the BHP, consider getting one in .40S&W. Avoid the models with Millett sights, btw. Then buy a 9mm conversion barrel for it. 9mm feeds, fires and ejects fine from a .40 slide. Get magazines for both calibers and you have a very solid and versatile platform.

If you poke around on Potatobroker a bit you can find an Argentine .22lr conversion kit for it as well. Don't bother with the Ciener kit. Ciener is even worse than his reputation.

John Browning (may he sit at the right hand of God) designed the BHP as an improvement after 20 years field experience with the 1911. That should tell you something worth knowing.

A BHP is a thing of magnificent, sleek and deadly beauty and carries a pride of ownership few tupperware guns can offer, IMHO.
VERY WELL SPOKEN, AND TRUE . . . . .

Finally got it yesterday. It was already dark outside so I had to wait until this morning to go shoot it (another compelling argument to move out of town to a place with a deserted hill in the back yard).

Shoots like a dream. Fits my hand perfectly. Recoil recovery is quick and sights are easy to acquire. Controls are instinctive. I dig the capacity. Feels like a keeper.

So now I want to pump 1000 rounds through it in the next week or two. What brand(s) of cheapo 9mm ball ammo do you guys and gals recommend I use for that project?

Any I should avoid?

Thanks.

BTW, I'll check it for reliable feeding of hollow points before it becomes a CCW piece.
Blazer Brass is available almost anywhere and works well for me.
Then Federal HST for the real thing.

Last Edited:
For pistol mags, I always check with Greg Cote first ...Greg Cote, LLC
He has other stuff as well and always at fair prices.

For rifle (and pistol) mags, 44 Mag is one of my favorites.
They feature authentic USGI M4 mags and they are an Oregon company.
And hey, they have MecGar as well...
44MAG.com - CZ

Fair to say that the above are my two favorite mag vendors.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top