JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay fellers, I need some help.

I own just about one of everything, except a high capacity semi-auto pistol. And I'm not current on what's new (or maybe not so new).

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911? And maybe somewhat more concealable. It's a compromise, I know.

Would appreciate whatever specifics you guys are able to share while I consider my next purchase. Thanks in advance.
There are some double stack 45s out there that probably deserve a look.

I own just about one of everything, except a high capacity semi-auto pistol. And I'm not current on what's new (or maybe not so new).

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911? And maybe somewhat more concealable. It's a compromise, I know.

Would appreciate whatever specifics you guys are able to share while I consider my next purchase. Thanks in advance.
Well there are lots of 1911double stacks out there but I like mine because it's skinny and has fire power 8 rounds and two 10 round back up mag's

There are some double stack 45s out there that probably deserve a look.
Thought about those, but a little fat for my standard 1911 hands. I could shoot a Glock 30 (.45acp) very well, but it just didn't feel good to me.

Starting to lean toward a Browning Hi Power in 9mm, and old Belgian one (maybe Israeli Police surplus) and have it rebuilt inside, then slap on some thin rubber grips. Love external patina on old metal guns.

Still not decided though, so input is very much appreciated.

Para Ordnance P14-45. Its a double stack 1911 and just about everything but the trigger bow and magazine is interchangeable with single stack guns.

There are also the STI 2011s in 9, .40 and .45

Sig X series are single actions iirc

CZ75 can be had single action only and you can use the standard DA guns in SA mode cocked & locked

The M&P series has familiar grip angle and can be had with a 1911esque safety (I have had a full size safety equipped gun and currently own and carry the compact with safety)

Lots of options! FWIW I have owned the Para, M&Ps and CZs never had issues with any of them. My Para 45 ate literally everything without hiccup including laquer coated wolf and some funky 150 grain stuff I ran into years ago. The grip panels are thin and recessed so the grip is not THAT much fatter than a single stack.

Ditto on the Para. I've had one for years Love my P-13!

I would recommend 2 options for you. The first would be an FNH FNX-Tactical. It has all the must haves you want and a 15 round capacity of .45 ACP :D
The second option would be an EAA Witness Stock III in .38 Super. Again it has all the must haves on your list as well as a 17 round magazine. The weapon will handle +P+ ammo, and the .38 Super is a powerful round that shoots flat and is very fast.
I own both of these and can state with certainty that they are both well mannered, easy to shoot and run flawlessly. Also both can be had for around $1,000.00 or even less in the case of the EAA Witness Stock III.

Good luck and God Bless!

John, Atlanta GA.

Rock Island 52009. It's a 10mm chambered 1911. Mine has 16+1 capacity. 20170211_174352.jpg

Hey GGJ, range report please on that 52009 as that is the gun on my DROOL LIST, I'm just waiting to get enough pennies together at one time that doesn't have some one else's name tagged with it. $ 685.00 at my local GENERAL STORE .

One way to increase magazine capacity is to... carry another magazine. lulz
Back not too long ago, and for a few generations, millions of professional lawmen in the US went up against the world every day and with a target on their backs with 18 rounds of .38 Special, each of which generated a whopping 200fpe. These days the best 9 generates about 550fpe and holds let's say 17 rounds.. coppers still generally carry two reloads/magazines on their person.
I'd just carry another magazine and call it good.

I was in a similar position when choosing my first pistol. My father owns a lot of various old guns, so I have access to a lot of options. However, he doesn't own anything made since about 65 (except maybe some SW revolvers I know were made within that decade). I would have bought a C-96, but there was a nice Sig Sauer P-226 in stock.
I went with the Sig Sauer P226 MK25 and I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm looking for a P229 or P227 for carry purposes.

It helps that the P226 is pretty much a 1911 with minor differences.
The 1911 was the only pistol I knew how to disassemble, so seeing a similar action was reassuring.

My only advice would be to have the SRT kit installed, the difference is night and day.
I'll mention that it's also DA/SA.

Maybe the Berreta 92-FS would be good as well, but I personally like the Sig p226 aesthetic more (call me a mall ninja, but I prefer to like the guns I buy).

I believe Rock Island Arsenal makes a double stack .45 ACP. I have zero experience with said offering, but I couldn't be more happy with the RIA GI stock M1911A1 that I've carried and shot for over a decade. Best wishes.

I have one of these pistols and I fit and chambered a 38 super barrel to it for the 38 Super Comp. Using Super Comp brass (rimless like the 9mm), I can stuff 17+1 in the pistol for 18 rounds of .357 performance using a traditional 1911 chambering. What's not to love?

Starting to narrow down my field of interest
- CZ75 SP01 full size 18+1
- CZ75 P01 compact 14+1
- Browning Hi Power older Belgian surplus rebuilt 13+1

Still open to new ideas, but leaning toward getting one of the CZs and keeping an eye out for the right HP when it happens along.

For now? Decisions... decisions...

Last Edited:

Browning

I was in a similar position when choosing my first pistol. My father owns a lot of various old guns, so I have access to a lot of options. However, he doesn't own anything made since about 65 (except maybe some SW revolvers I know were made within that decade). I would have bought a C-96, but there was a nice Sig Sauer P-226 in stock.
I went with the Sig Sauer P226 MK25 and I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm looking for a P229 or P227 for carry purposes.

It helps that the P226 is pretty much a 1911 with minor differences.
The 1911 was the only pistol I knew how to disassemble, so seeing a similar action was reassuring.

My only advice would be to have the SRT kit installed, the difference is night and day.
I'll mention that it's also DA/SA.

Maybe the Berreta 92-FS would be good as well, but I personally like the Sig p226 aesthetic more (call me a mall ninja, but I prefer to like the guns I buy).

A sig 226 is pretty much a 1911?

That's like saying a dog is pretty much a cow. because they both have four legs.

Granted I don't know much other than the field strip on a 1911, they seemed pretty similar to that point.
In any case, the P226 will not disappoint.

Hey GGJ, range report please on that 52009 as that is the gun on my DROOL LIST, I'm just waiting to get enough pennies together at one time that doesn't have some one else's name tagged with it. $ 685.00 at my local GENERAL STORE .
My experience with it so far has been very positive for what I bought it for. I really like the ballistics of the 10mm, and have made that my choice for the past 25 years. The fpe coming off a round will get the job done for any large game species in North America including doped up thugs so it's my mountain and city pistol for the Pacific NW. It's double stack, but fits my hand well, so it gets my vote to carry without additional magazines. G10 grips are highly effective, and have not led me to desire any alteration there...great feel and control. The S&W 1006 was more accurate out of box, but limited to 9 rounds. The slight left and low out of box on the RIA 52009 was easily corrected as it comes with fully adjustable sights. That being said, I wanted night sights, so gave up full adjustment when I switched to Meprolight(tooled for the RIA specifically vs Novak, requiring no alteration or smithwork) night sights. With practice, I've got my grouping back where I want it. Love the 1911 platform. My size allows me to carry one full size without printing with untucked shirt or vest, so the RIA 52009 can ride OWB carry where my Glock 20 SF couldn't without printing. The RIA 52009 rapid fire can still hold a 6" group, making it a great center mass defence weapon, but lacks the natural reset point the S&W 1006 comes back to. Guess it depends on the mission of the gun. RIA does make a match grade 10mm 1911 with a longer 6" barrel, but that wouldn't make much of a carry piece...well, maybe open carry. The 52009 easily comes on point, and can slap down steel silhouettes at the distance used for big bore competition, so there's that. I've tried several target loads, and really like the new Sig Sauer round nosed 10mm ammo, but the 52009 can also take Freedom Munitions' cheaper wadcutters rapid cycle without misfeeds, so no beef there. I've had zero FTF or FTE with anything in the 52009, so yes, it's reliable. Cleaning...the 52009 has a bull barrel, and requires a modified paperclip for stripping and cleaning which RIA would have done well to develop a tool for, but that might have added 12 cents to production cost. That's my only beef with the whole experience so far. Parkerized finish does get some holster wear, but it's not a safe queen, so whatever. For cost, accuracy, customization, capacity, carry-ability, stopping power, it's what I've chosen amidst several 10mm platforms to keep in the 1911 family I love so much. Hope this helps.

My experience with it so far has been very positive for what I bought it for. I really like the ballistics of the 10mm, and have made that my choice for the past 25 years. The fpe coming off a round will get the job done for any large game species in North America including doped up thugs so it's my mountain and city pistol for the Pacific NW. It's double stack, but fits my hand well, so it gets my vote to carry without additional magazines. G10 grips are highly effective, and have not led me to desire any alteration there...great feel and control. The S&W 1006 was more accurate out of box, but limited to 9 rounds. The slight left and low out of box on the RIA 52009 was easily corrected as it comes with fully adjustable sights. That being said, I wanted night sights, so gave up full adjustment when I switched to Meprolight(tooled for the RIA specifically vs Novak, requiring no alteration or smithwork) night sights. With practice, I've got my grouping back where I want it. Love the 1911 platform. My size allows me to carry one full size without printing with untucked shirt or vest, so the RIA 52009 can ride OWB carry where my Glock 20 SF couldn't without printing. The RIA 52009 rapid fire can still hold a 6" group, making it a great center mass defence weapon, but lacks the natural reset point the S&W 1006 comes back to. Guess it depends on the mission of the gun. RIA does make a match grade 10mm 1911 with a longer 6" barrel, but that wouldn't make much of a carry piece...well, maybe open carry. The 52009 easily comes on point, and can slap down steel silhouettes at the distance used for big bore competition, so there's that. I've tried several target loads, and really like the new Sig Sauer round nosed 10mm ammo, but the 52009 can also take Freedom Munitions' cheaper wadcutters rapid cycle without misfeeds, so no beef there. I've had zero FTF or FTE with anything in the 52009, so yes, it's reliable. Cleaning...the 52009 has a bull barrel, and requires a modified paperclip for stripping and cleaning which RIA would have done well to develop a tool for, but that might have added 12 cents to production cost. That's my only beef with the whole experience so far. Parkerized finish does get some holster wear, but it's not a safe queen, so whatever. For cost, accuracy, customization, capacity, carry-ability, stopping power, it's what I've chosen amidst several 10mm platforms to keep in the 1911 family I love so much. Hope this helps.
Also, ambi-safety, enhanced beavertail, and adjustable trigger stop are standard for 52009. Very comfortable, solid fit and finish. Beveled mag well...all the features I'd hope to find coming standard! Smooth operation on slide. Serrated slide gives plenty of control for racking against the stout action spring...not stiff at all. Again, it's a keeper I trust my life with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top