Love the 1911, but want something in hi-cap too...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by teflon97239, Nov 9, 2017.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

Okay fellers, I need some help.

I own just about one of everything, except a high capacity semi-auto pistol. And I'm not current on what's new (or maybe not so new).

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911? And maybe somewhat more concealable. It's a compromise, I know.

Would appreciate whatever specifics you guys are able to share while I consider my next purchase. Thanks in advance.

2. mkwerx

mkwerx
    Rock Creek
    Polymer Prom Queen Silver Supporter

Para Ordnance P14-45. Its a double stack 1911 and just about everything but the trigger bow and magazine is interchangeable with single stack guns.

There are also the STI 2011s in 9, .40 and .45

Sig X series are single actions iirc

CZ75 can be had single action only and you can use the standard DA guns in SA mode cocked & locked

The M&P series has familiar grip angle and can be had with a 1911esque safety (I have had a full size safety equipped gun and currently own and carry the compact with safety)

Lots of options! FWIW I have owned the Para, M&Ps and CZs never had issues with any of them. My Para 45 ate literally everything without hiccup including laquer coated wolf and some funky 150 grain stuff I ran into years ago. The grip panels are thin and recessed so the grip is not THAT much fatter than a single stack.

Dan Adams, orygun, Flymph and 7 others like this.
  3. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

4. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    NW Oregon
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Highpoint..kidding:D

A lot of people like the Sig 2022 in .40 Cal. I'd say hold one before you buy.;)

Blackcobra and nwslopoke like this.
  5. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I believe Rock Island Arsenal makes a double stack .45 ACP. I have zero experience with said offering, but I couldn't be more happy with the RIA GI stock M1911A1 that I've carried and shot for over a decade. Best wishes.

6. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

7. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

I have an older 'Signature' series Para P14-45. With the aftermarket mag parts it
    holds 18 rounds of 45ACP in the magazine.:D Shot competition
    with this for several years. Very reliable and accurate. Not for people
    with small hands.:confused:
    DSC00076.JPG

orygun, EPS, bbbass and 1 other person like this.
  8. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington

Hammer fired high-cap 9mm or 40 with a safety? My pick is an SAO version of the Sig P226. In 9mm with MecGar magazines, you have 18+1 capacity without a protruding magazine.

C5DB66EA-8869-46F8-BD8E-41B01CC3462F.jpeg

9. CLT65

CLT65
    Yamhill County

Everyone is different, but for me the double stack .45s just don’t feel right in my hands. I really tried to like a Glock 21 I had for a while but the grip was just too big. I don’t have small hands but I just couldn’t get used to it, or other thick framed .45 or 10mm guns.

I came to appreciate the Glock .40 the more I used it, but for an old-school steel frame gun fell back on the old Browning Hi-Power.

Then I found the CZ75. As a 1911 fan from way back, the CZ fits my hand like it was made for it. I highly recommend trying one.

Added: I spent some time with a SIG 226 at one time as well- great gun, another excellent option.

ron and DenimChicken like this.
  10. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I'd be happy to meet you at JCGC and let you run some full mags of .40 through my CZ SP-01 Tactical? It's the old style trigger but it's smoothed out real nice. I think it's better than the newer CZ 75.

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  11. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County

-similar
    what is most important?

If Hi Cap is most important:

Glock with 30+/- mag that is as hi capacity as it gets.

You can go with the 'baby' the G27 for carry and have a 32rnd mag in your back pocket.

I believe you can add an thumbsafety (external) to a Glock. I can't speak to how reliable those are, as I don't have one.

12. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol
    Salem

Another vote for the CZ75. I have a CZ75B, I believe it comes w/ 2 x 16 round mags. It has the exposed hammer and safety. The Omega trigger option is awesome in SA mode - very accurate. But FWIW you won't find another trigger like the 1911.

Flymph and teflon97239 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Tbere are more and more 1911 double stacks coming out almost daily, most are of very high quality, and give you the desired capacity in a surrisingly thin grip. The Paras (now part of remington) are very good, and can be found in most standard flavors you could want. Rock Island has a few options for a more budget friendly double stack, Number has a new double stack with several options including a long slide, and then the high end of the gene pool with the STI double stacks. For my money and a little effort you can get a Caspian double stack frame kit and swap what ever top end you have or wish to add and have a super sweet 1911 double stack able to take ANY cartridge that will fit the mags! Capacity with flush fit mags; 9mm up to 21 rounds, 40/10mm 17 rounds, .45 13 to 15 depending on mag manufacture, and all the others that closely match the above listed! It has never been this good until now to find or build a 1911 double stack, so why not!!!!

Grimm, Tully Mars, nammac and 2 others like this.
  14. USMC-03

USMC-03
    Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon)

Browning HiPower or a quality clone. Enough said...

DunRanull, Ruger Rich, orygun and 2 others like this.
  15. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

Assuming .45 ACP

I had a Glock 21 with a hybrid port comp, and some other widgets I threw on it, including a ghost ring rear sight. I liked the comp and I liked the capacity, but there was nothing I could really do to make the ergos work for me, and once I got a SIG SA/DA, I just got spoiled and I don't want any more striker fired handguns.

So recently I got a SIG P227 (.45 ACP) SA/DA TACOPS.

I like it, it is the same manual of arms as a P229 or P226, the ergos are good and the trigger is good and the restrike capability of the DA trigger is nice to have.

It came with one 10 round and one 14 round mag. So far, every 14 round mag I got for it (all official SIG mags made by MecGar) have malfunctioned.

SIG P227 TACOPS - 14 rd. mag problems

But there is a simple fix and today or tomorrow I will fix all of my mags and retest them as I just got new mag springs delivered. Downside is the mag goes from 14 to 13 rounds with the stronger spring - I suppose I could trim the spring, and I might try that with one.

So for me, this will be my go to .45 ACP hi-cap handgun. High sights for looking over a suppressor, threaded barrel, good ergos, good trigger, decocker, no safety to fuss with - pretty much everything I want in a self-defense handgun, plus it is the same operation as my 9mm P229.

Speaking of which, I notice the difference in recoil with the .45 ACP vs. 9mm - significant.

16. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington

Some other good options would be the HK USP, HK P30, or HK45. Not as much aftermarket support, but great pistols..

Flymph likes this.
  17. DenimChicken

DenimChicken
    Kitsap

Third vote for CZ. Good compromise of what you're looking for.

teflon97239 likes this.
  18. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever
    Central Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

The way I see it, you only have one option; Dan Wesson Titan.

You can thank me later.

EPS likes this.
  19. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

A buddy of mine suggested the Browning Hi Power, maybe an older Belgian one, rebuilt and Cerakoted with simple no-snag sights. And a couple guys here suggested the CS75B. Both are intriguing.

Exploring my motives, I can afford pretty much whatever I run into (within reason). I just want to snap up a couple medium size pistols with hi-cap magazines before we get Californicated here too.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Still relatively vaperwear at this point, but the Hudson H9 might fit the bill.

5A3DA08B-1E9F-469F-B0F0-9E75ED46F806.jpeg