JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got introduced to the browning Hi-Power in the service.
After the service I was introduced to the S&W 59.
While the Browning got my attention the S&W earned my life long enmity.
To simply say that I despise the S&W would be an understatement. I haven't touched one in 43 years.
The Browning however became my overseas go to replacement for 1911 when 45 ammunition was/would be scarce.

Fast forward to 2005 and my local gun store turned away a trade in.
I politely asked the store if they minded me doing business on their doorstep.
With the owner's blessing I examined the pistol in detail and for some curious reason it followed me home.

This is a FEG P9R not to be confused with their near direct Hi-power clone.
In appearance it's nearly a BDA (BDM?). In construction it's lock work is S&W 59 while the rest of the pistol is Browning.

The double action is nearly as good as some of my revolvers and the single action break is at least as good as a stock 1911. The fit in the hand is so close to Browning Hi-Power that any adjustment is purely due to the double action pull.

I'd love to hate this pistol for it's S&W plagiarism but instead I hate to love it for its flawless function.

Faithful to its Browning heritage the sights are minimal and mostly suck but I seem to hit everything I point at. Unlike the trials and tribulations of most Hi-Powers this one eats all but fired cases. I have yet to experience a failure that wasn't due to a magazine, ammunition, or me.

In the end it's not that well known. It's not that pretty. It just is one of my not so guilty partnerships with obscure firearms.

19090464_2.jpg

Last Edited:
Correct. I get that all the time.
Unlike many I know what I have, and it truly is the bastard stepchild of a Browning Hi-Power and the S&W 59.

Started shooting at 4 years old and a S&W 39 (the single stack precursor of the 59) was on of the 2 guns I learned on. Still have it today and the workmanship and bluing is on point.

It gets zero range time as it's one of the few things I have left of that time of my life and my grandfather but I look at it often.

Last time I shot it was awhile ago but it's a good shooter and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it if that's all I had and was willing to risk it being locked up in an evidence locker.

I did have a police trade in 59 and it wasn't nearly as nice but it did shoot just fine. Honestly a bit bummed I might not be able to get another one until things with the laws change.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top