JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The P-35 Hi-Power (Grande Puissance) is the direct heir to the 1911, and the original high-capacity 9mm.

I know there are much newer and arguably better guns out there, but like the 1911 there's still a lot to be said for the old Hi-Power.

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911?

Look seriously at the Browning Hi-Power. Same manual-of-arms as the .45GM. Hi-cap. Spare parts readily available. Battle-proven design for more than 80 years. Feels very good in the hand (YMMV of course). Takes a suppressor very well too. Lots of excellent gunsmiths understand it intimately and know how to work on it. Lots of carry gear and custom parts available to configure the system it to your exact tastes.

If you go with the BHP, consider getting one in .40S&W. Avoid the models with Millett sights, btw. Then buy a 9mm conversion barrel for it. 9mm feeds, fires and ejects fine from a .40 slide. Get magazines for both calibers and you have a very solid and versatile platform.

If you poke around on Potatobroker a bit you can find an Argentine .22lr conversion kit for it as well. Don't bother with the Ciener kit. Ciener is even worse than his reputation.

John Browning (may he sit at the right hand of God) designed the BHP as an improvement after 20 years field experience with the 1911. That should tell you something worth knowing.

A BHP is a thing of magnificent, sleek and deadly beauty and carries a pride of ownership few tupperware guns can offer, IMHO.

M&P 2.0...either full size or the new 15 round Compact (Glock 19 size). Drop an Apex flat faced trigger with forward set sear into it. It's probably as close to a 1911 trigger as you'll get in a non 1911 gun.

Or if you're willing to spend the cash, go this route. It is chock full of awesome. :)

EDC X9 – Wilson Combat

Wilson Combat EDC X9 seems to be the perfect answer to your question.

EDCX9Scenic1.jpg

Okay fellers, I need some help.

I own just about one of everything, except a high capacity semi-auto pistol. And I'm not current on what's new (or maybe not so new).

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911? And maybe somewhat more concealable. It's a compromise, I know.

Would appreciate whatever specifics you guys are able to share while I consider my next purchase. Thanks in advance.
You like your 1911, so plastic is out.
Also a double stack 1911 is out because you want more concealable and they are phat.

You have the best .45ACP so you may as well have the best 9mm hi-cap design.
That would be CZ75B either the base model (CZ75B) or the jazzier CZ75 SP-01
sp01.jpg

Okay fellers, I need some help.

I own just about one of everything, except a high capacity semi-auto pistol. And I'm not current on what's new (or maybe not so new).

Anything out there with a hefty magazine capacity (so probably 9mm or .40) - but with a trigger, hammer and safety more like my familiar old friend the 1911? And maybe somewhat more concealable. It's a compromise, I know.

Would appreciate whatever specifics you guys are able to share while I consider my next purchase. Thanks in advance.

Sig p226 or an HK model might be worth while to look into.

IMI Jericho 9mm holds 17+1. I purchased mine used from Kentucky in excellent condition. It is poly and was around $400. The steel are more expensive.
You can find the IWI Jericho new in poly or steel frame. I have no idea what they cost.

B376F1D8-8AC8-41ED-BE58-F49C2D6B6A02.jpeg

And before someone complains at me, the mag is empty and the hammer cocked so y'all can see where it hits in relation to the beaver tail. The safety is on too.

Another note. I'm a female that regularly shoots one of several Sig 1911 pistols. The grip on this is comparable. My husband and I both purchased Meprolight night sites for our Jerichos and I did the install on both with relative ease. Much easier then removing Sig sights.

Last Edited:
I'm going to put in a word for my favorite high cap pistol, the Beretta 92fs.
A weapon much hated by many of our desert warriors, and I get that. If I was stationed in a desert I'd hate them too!
I like 17+1 plenty, I really like the way Berettas are made, they are closer to instruments than tools and they have aluminum frames! I farging love that!:D

Last Edited:
I'm going to put in a word for my favorite high cap pistol, the Beretta 92fs.
A weapon much hated by many of our desert warriors, and I get that. If I was stationed in a desert I'd hate it too!
I like 17+1 plenty, I really like the way Berettas art made, they are closer to instruments than tools and they have aluminum frames! I farging love that!:D
Not a 1911 I like my Glock but it's not a 1911 hense the topic of the thread

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top