JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First, thanks for taking the time to read, and respond.

46 years on this earth, love my handguns, but finally decided it was time to learn to hunt (wife says I need a new hobby, wow..)

Went out and bought a Savage 116 30-06 and Nikon Scope (don't tell me if it's a bad choice, lol), sited it in, and enrolled in the in-person hunter safety course in Vancouver in September. I figure I will probably take the online course as well.

I've been trying to learn all about "Where" and "When" you can hunt, but frankly, the map and sector system on the DFW website has me 100% confused. I wanted to start out with something like Deer, Elk, or Bear hunting this year, purchased the license with the tag for each. But I can't figure out "where" and "when" logistics.

So I'm hoping for help on that stuff. I'm a big boy, so don't want anywhere I have to hike up a mountain and down another, lol, but willing to hoof it a bit when needed.

Also, had a question about how you use the meet after you hunt. My thought was that I would like to keep 1/2 of whatever, and donate 1/2 to a homeless shelter or some such, is that a. legal, and b. common, or at least c. ok to do?

Anywho, anyone who can offer me advise or instruction on the questions above - I greatly appreciate it. I thought about going on a 1 day "guided" hunt, maybe on someones private property, but don't know where to find those kinds of services, so I would have someone there to teach me what to do with the animal once (and if) I shoot it. I want to learn how to do this right, and responsibly, so I am hoping to learn a lot here.

Thanks again for reading, and any answers you can provide!

Glenn
(Pinfold)

You will have to check with local laws and local charities about donations. I know it can be probelmatic in some places. As to the rules. You need to pickup a copy of your state hunting regs and read through them. If that doesn't fill you with confidence I strongly suggest you reach out to someone here or through work or other "network" you have (church, Elks lodge, etc.) and find an experianced hunting buddy.

Mountain Ministries in rose valley would be glad to take a game donation. I have donated meat to them a few times. Since you are hunting with a rifle your hunting dates are posted in general modern firearm season make sure the unit you intend on hunting is a modern firearm unit as there are some that are closed to rifles. The where would be state/public land out of city limits or large timber companies that open their gates for hunting season. As soon as you put a critter down tag and gut it as soon as possible. I usually skin them when I get home it's easier to do when you have them hanging but if it's hot or you can't get home for more than a few hours skin it in the woods. I process all of my game meat myself into steaks,roasts,jerky,breakfast sausage,peperoni,burger but you could just as easily drop it off at a wild game proccessor to take care of it for you. I would suggest you find a hunting buddy that's been hunting for a while to show you around the woods and how to take care of your kill

Pinfold,
Welcome to the club. Afraid I can't offer any Washington help as I live in southern Oregon.
I would recommend that you try and find a local mentor as was mentioned previously. You can also get help on sites such as Ifish. You mentioned elk hunting and on that subject make sure you have a good grasp on what needs done and how you are going to move it before you put one on the ground. A deer is much easier to drag or break down, bag, and pack than an elk is. Enjoy your new hobby!

There are videos available that show you the proper way to gut and butcher game animals. Valuable tools even if you have someone to help you or do it for you.

Thanks for the advice, watched about 100 videos online now, and bought a couple, on skin/dress/butcher bears, dear, and elk. Spent a lot of time tooling around back NF roads and such near Mt. Adams, and still having a real hard time finding places that I think are good to stay at, but that's mostly because I really am too new at this to know what to look for. I have been told, a few times now, that I should start with something easier than Bear, but it's really what I wanted to start with - so not giving up.

Any advice on where to go, is GREATLY appreciated. I really want to have my first hunting success a black bear (partially for me, partially so I can "told ya so" to my wife and kids, who think I am having a mid-life crisis - even if they are correct!).

I'm based in Vancouver area, but I don't mind a drive. Been going out around 5am last 3 weekends in a row, mostly in Gifford Pinchot, but not had any luck.

Thanks for any tips, advice, locations, etc. :)

Hey this time of year bears are a little lower in elevation if u want to know if you in the right spot find RIPE blackberries and the bears will not.be too far away also 5-6 year old logging cuts will sometimes have bear in them they will be going after the grubs and bugs in the rotten stumps hope this helps but remember hunting is not easy and it will take patience.

Thanks Mike - that's great advice. Can anyone point me to a particular area, NF road #, etc? I am thinking west side of Mt. Adams, Trout Lake'ish? Would love anything you can tell me about a good place to go. E-mail is [email protected] if you don't want your secret spots exposed here!. :)

Thank you so much for any direction you can provide.
Pinfold (Glenn)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads