JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can check the hunting regulations but I believe the minimum shot size for turkey hunting in Washington is #4 shot and the ones they sell as turkey loads are usually magnums. I also have a mossberg 835 and it should make a fine turkey gun. Whatever you go with, make sure to pattern your shot at distances you expect to shoot birds from so you can get an idea of the pattern density of that particular load.

I hunt with a 535 and it kills 'em dead right where they stood, flopping all twitchy like birds do. I use Kent diamond 3.5" 12ga, longest shot about 60-65ft.

Thanks guy, just tried to pattern some 3" 2oz number 5s. They patterned ok, might need to get some chokes to bring the pattern a little tighter or maybe 3.5" 2.25oz will fill out the pattern.

Your 835 didn't come with any chokes? My 535 came with an xxf and slug barrel. Mossberg likes to make packages so I'm surprised.

I would take full advantage of 3.5" shells if at all possible. The extra volume of shot could make all the difference.

Granted, my hunting partner uses a plain Jane 20ga and kills em just fine,too...

Nope, came bare bones from the pawn shop for $100. I got it thinking I could take advantage of the 3.5" shells when using steel during duck season, but I guess I might as well use it during turkey as well. For the longest time I used a 20ga stevens 320 with cremator chokes

1678798316373.png

Aloha, Mark

We shoot ours with a Rem 870 in both 12 & 20 gauge with #5 steel. Works just fine, I use steel on all birds including grouse. I don't like the visible trails of lead that lead shot leaves through the meat. On grouse I prefer to use heavy enough shot it passes through, less broken teeth that way.

We shoot ours with a Rem 870 in both 12 & 20 gauge with #5 steel. Works just fine, I use steel on all birds including grouse. I don't like the visible trails of lead that lead shot leaves through the meat. On grouse I prefer to use heavy enough shot it passes through, less broken teeth that way.
I'm pretty sure Washington requires #4 shot or higher for Turkey

Was able to get some 3.5", 2.25oz, 5's, ultimate turkey shells. Went to pattern it with a Hevi-13 choke (~.676) and it kicked harder than a bull with his nuts tied. I think I'm going to stick with the 3" shells. Maybe I'll be able to develop my own 3.5" loads when ballistic products finally ships my components.

Ive always lost track of the numbers myself. Seems like its backwards... if zero was nothing then 1 should be the smallest that way theirs an infinite number to go bigger. but no... we go backwards adding zeros when we ran out of numbers... lol

Was able to get some 3.5", 2.25oz, 5's, ultimate turkey shells. Went to pattern it with a Hevi-13 choke (~.676) and it kicked harder than a bull with his nuts tied. I think I'm going to stick with the 3" shells. Maybe I'll be able to develop my own 3.5" loads when ballistic products finally ships my components.
Now that you've got it patterned go hunting. Your not going to notice that kick when that fat gobbler struts in and it's not like duck hunting where you might bang away. Probably only take 2 shots in the Spring.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top