JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you are not reloading, I strongly suggest you do. Many people start on a Lee because they are cheap and they work well. When considering models, many look at the Pro 1000 or the Classic Turret. After having both for some time, I thought I would give my impressions of the two and why I like the Classic Turret better if you are only getting one. Of course if you have the means, get a Dillon.

Lee Pro 1000-$200

Pros
-It comes with all of the items you need to start
-It has the potential to reload faster (~200rds/hr)
-It is more inexpensive than the Classic
Cons
-More moving parts/complexity
-Cheaper build quality
-3 holes instead of 4
-PIA to set up and get working right
-Caliber changes are not worth the hassle/money
-The primer delivery system jams
-You have more potential to make mistakes

Lee Classic Turret-$230+dies

Pros
-Stronger, simpler design
-Caliber changes cost the price of new dies
-Caliber changes take no time at all
-Easy to set up
-Primer system is more robust and can swap between large and small
-Never jams
-Can reload a wider variety of rounds
-The kit comes with a reloading book
-You have the option to buy just the press ($100) and then only the components you need
-4 holes allows a factory crimp die
Cons
-More initial investment if you go with the kit
-Slower reload rate (100rds/hr)

Here is a video I made of comparing the two, and my system of mounting them.

Last Edited:
If it's your first press and these are the only choices, I'd go for the Classic Turret. It can be used single stage only until reloading basics are perfected. Then it can crank rounds out a little faster by dropping in the advancing rod (takes ten seconds). I've been reloading for almost six years and still aren't comfortable enough to go full progressive. I still enjoy inspecting every round at each stage. BTW, I love my classic turret.

I use the Lee classic turret press and Lee loading manual at times. It has produced more accurate ammo than I have ever purchased. I have had good luck w mine. A true value ! I do dream about a Dillon 650 at times.

I have a Pro1000 for 45 ACP and found this guy to have a lot of tricks/fixes to keep it running smoothly.
He's kind of long winded and I often skip ahead when watching his vids.
Some of his fixes are quite elaborate/complex/fiddly, that I simply ignore.
NotAnExpert

The price point and design of the Pro1000 kit is for running a single caliber, not for change over.

I have found that de-priming off press (any progressive press, I have 3) keeps the primer crud off the shell plate and out of the priming mechanism, minimizing priming problems.
That, and stopping powder spillage by installing a weaker index spring/nylon ball (in all 3 of my progressive presses), plus by using the spring to return the powder measure rather than the chain, will get any progressive running smoothly.
I can achieve way more than the 200 rounds per hour stated by the OP, loading at a moderate/safe pace.

Some short Lee vids on all Lee press setup:
https://fsreloading.com/catalogs/lee-precision/how-to-videos.html
jmo
:D

Last Edited:
Classic Turret 100%

Buy a couple indexing squares and you are set.

Every so often I will lightly lube the aluminum ring where it rides on the steel and the ram rod.

Solid press.

Thanks OP, I sure like the comparison of the two cause I'm still a n00b.....
I had a work out on my single stage priming 400 rounds of 40S&W....
I may just have to invest in a Lee turret press in the future. ;)
Jim, most people that use a single stage prime with a hand primer like a lee or rcbs.. unless it's just a few hunting rounds a year or so. You can probably do 400 in like a half hour with one. (I use the priming dealy on my Lee turret though.. pretty slick).

Classic Turret 100%

Buy a couple indexing squares and you are set.

Every so often I will lightly lube the aluminum ring where it rides on the steel and the ram rod.

Solid press.

I keep finding new stuff I can do with mine. Sizing powder coated bullets and forming .401wsl brass from 7.62×39 just lately. I keep thinking something is going to wear out or break but it just keeps processing everything I feed it. I just replaced the nylon nut that operates the indexing rod. It was the original and it's been in there for 7 years I think? It wasn't even broken it was just wore out. I'm sure I've loaded at least 15000 rounds and sized at least 5000 hard cast with it and done a ridiculous ammount of case conversions. I keep wanting another press but it's hard to justify it.

I have to say I would be another vote for the Turret. I would get the 4 hole as the Factory Crimp die is a GREAT thing to add for pistol calibers. The Pro is a constant problem. I have known several who have or had one. Even those who kept theirs normally will admit they can be a constant tinker with to keep going. Could be very frustrating to someone starting out. If after you get going you decide to go with a progressive buy a better one. I LOVE Lee stuff. I learned on Lee stuff. I still use Lee stuff. I would not buy or recommend the Pro though.

Lee Classic Turret here for a relatively new reloader. I like the pace that allows me to visually check the powder in each case. I do 9mm, .38 and .45 on mine. It's slow, but you can get into a Zen state and still do 200+ rounds per hour.

It is pretty neat..

setupdetlphot.gif

So, it turns out that I can load about 100 rounds/hour using the Lee Classic Turret press. Because I read my load sheet wrong (it went load, powder, load powder and I read it powder, load, powder, load) I can also unload about 100 rounds per hour using a ballistic unloader.

But that gave me a chance to switch over from 700X to Bullseye. What a difference in metering! I check every 20 loads. With the 700x it was plus or minus up to 2 grains. With the Bullseye, it was 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7 - you get the idea. I purchased the 700X during the severe pistol powder shortage - I'll be laying in a stock of Bullseye now.

20170228_104621.jpg In my best Steve Martin voice from "the Jerk", The new Turret is here, the new Turret is here!!!!
Along with some LPK's & JP trigger springs for the new 300 BLK pistol build....;)
I can see more of this :s0010::s0015::s0019::s0007::s0017::s0130::s0031::s0038::s0041::s0048: in my future!!!!:s0169:

Last Edited:
View attachment 346035 In my best Steve Martin voice from "the Jerk", The new Turret is here, the new Turret is here!!!!
Along with some LPK's & JP trigger springs for the new 300 BLK pistol build....;)
I can see more of this :s0010::s0015::s0019::s0007::s0017::s0130::s0031::s0038::s0041::s0048: in my future!!!!:s0169:
Tips/Advice:
  • Buy two extra rotation bushings
  • a couple drops of lube on the turret head where it rides inside the steel ring
  • keep ram lubed
  • build callous on hand where wooden ball will wear it down cause you will need it when you start reloading a lot.
  • find your rhythm
I'm jealous yours comes with the auto drum not disc.

Tips/Advice:
  • Buy two extra rotation bushings. What are these?
  • a couple drops of lube on the turret head where it rides inside the steel ring. Check
  • keep ram lubed. Check, any particular lube? I've been using 3/1 oil on the RCBS SS press.
  • build callous on hand where wooden ball will wear it down cause you will need it when you start reloading a lot.
  • find your rhythm
I'm jealous yours comes with the auto drum not disc.
EH? auto drum not disc?
For now I plan to reload 40S&W (it's the only pistol caliber I own) the kit can do this without having to order any more STUFF.:cool:
I have plans for 3 rifle calibers in the near future (.223, .243 & 300BLK).
I ordered an extra Turret (need one more), two disc risers (okay there, came with one), ordered an auto disc powder measure (need another plus two double disc kits) o_O I don't know if I like this powder measure or not, I really need your input here????
Need to order 2

DAYUUMMMMM, this is getting expensive!!!!!

Automatic Powder Measures - Lee Precision

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top