JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
EH? auto drum not disc?
For now I plan to reload 40S&W (it's the only pistol caliber I own) the kit can do this without having to order any more STUFF.:cool:
I have plans for 3 rifle calibers in the near future (.223, .243 & 300BLK).
I ordered an extra Turret (need one more), two disc risers (okay there, came with one), ordered an auto disc powder measure (need another plus two double disc kits) o_O I don't know if I like this powder measure or not, I really need your input here????
Need to order 2

DAYUUMMMMM, this is getting expensive!!!!!

Automatic Powder Measures - Lee Precision

The bushings are:
Square Ratchet - Lee Precision

After about 7,000 rounds (minimum) or 15,000 max, these wear out and your turret head ends up not stopping at the detent ball. Stops about 1/8" short. I put a drop or so along the indexing rod too so it helps keep the bushing from wearing out too soon. I have about 8,000+ on my current bushing.

Any light machine oil is GREAT for lube, a little does a lot but you can tell once you get used to theuo stroke while it's turning when the head is dry.

Drum on left, disc on right. I use all discs because... I just do.
D2EB6F80-E42A-4FDC-9FDF-12A1ACC72366.jpg

I have no experience with the DRUM, I'd like to own one some day they are supposed to be more reliable or something. Again, no experience just another toy.

Really suggest a powder measure for every caliber/head. But... get the SAME type for all of your turret heads. Parts are same and all that crap.

I like the auto DISC's because you can do adjustable charge bars in them.

If you buy all Lee dies, and get the $45-47 die kit (4die set), it comes with powder through expanders I believe and the factory crimp die.

Surely most pistol expander dies will need a riser. Just need a little height, no risers needed on RIFLE expander through dies.

Last Edited:
EH? auto drum not disc?
For now I plan to reload 40S&W (it's the only pistol caliber I own) the kit can do this without having to order any more STUFF.:cool:
I ordered an extra Turret (need one more), two disc risers (okay there, came with one), ordered an auto disc powder measure (need another plus two double disc kits) o_O I don't know if I like this powder measure or not, I really need your input here????
Need to order 2

The Auto-disk will work fine, the Auto-drum will work awesome. Put the Auto-disk on something like one of your pistol caliber turrets and use the Auto-drum for your .223 or .300blk. When you want to add another measure get the Auto-drum.

The bushings are:

After about 7,000 rounds (minimum) or 15,000 max, these wear out and your turret head ends up not stopping at the detent ball. Stops about 1/8" short. I put a drop or so along the indexing rod too so it helps keep the bushing from wearing out too soon. I have about 8,000+ on my current bushing.

Any light machine oil is GREAT for lube, a little does a lot but you can tell once you get used to theuo stroke while it's turning when the head is dry.

View attachment 346083

I have no experience with the DRUM, I'd like to own one some day they are supposed to be more reliable or something. Again, no experience just another toy.

Really suggest a powder measure for every caliber/head. But... get the SAME type for all of your turret heads. Parts are same and all that crap.

If you buy all Lee dies, and get the $45-47 die kit (4die set), it comes with powder through expanders I believe and the factory crimp die.

Surely most pistol expander dies will need a riser. Just need a little height, no risers needed on RIFLE expander through dies.
More reliable and accurate and they don't leak at all. I have 3 drums and 1 disk, the drum is the better tool. I have no problem with my disk I still use it but the drum measures are much better.

More reliable and accurate and they don't leak at all. I have 3 drums and 1 disk, the drum is the better tool. I have no problem with my disk I still use it but the drum measures are much better.
Thanks for that information. Always good to hear from somebody who has experience with both when the speak up.

:)

Sounds like that's a golden idea since they are a sealed unit like the Perfect Powder Measure.

The bushings are:

View attachment 346083

I gotcha on all accounts. I'll send back that auto disc powder measure since I'll have to buy a double disc kit for each one. I'd like to keep them all the same because I'm anal about having matching stuff. See, all my fishing rods all match!!! Gawd help me.:eek::eek::eek:

20160315_142910.jpg

EH? auto drum not disc?
Need to order 2

Thanks for the link to the Lee PMs
I'm not a fan of either the Pro Auto Disc or the Auto Drum but have been using the Auto Disc.

I like to throw/weigh 10 charges for the small amounts of powder in handgun reloading to get an average, rather than chasing a tenth of a grain throwing/weighing a single charge over and over.

I can actuate the DISC measure with my left hand while hold a long case up against the expander with my right hand, following the expander up and down for 10 throws.

I can easily do this with the Auto Disc but the spring of the Auto Drum is too stiff for me to actuate it by hand.

"Long" cases 45acp top, 9mm bottom:
9BigCase.JPG

The problem I have with the Auto Drum is it leaks (HP-38) and I've tracked that down to the off-center screw that holds the hopper on, that creates un-even/one sided pressure on the elastomer wiper.

That, and too much clearance for the disc thickness allows powder to leak between the bottom of the disc and measure body.

I have tightened up the disc clearance and I'm working on a fix for the crooked hopper/seal pressure.
This leakage may be specific to HP-38, and may not be a issue with other powders or experienced by others who use the Auto Disc...just me:eek:
:D

Okay I'll bite...and why do all our fishing rods have to match?

Well it's because I have a system on my boat (which is normally comprised of mostly newbys & maybe aone regular to help out).
When I have a flotilla with 4-6 rods out it helps to have them all paired so that they don't get tangled due to different length rods, different action of said rods and different line pound test. It is a method tto my madness that things work on the water instad of spending too much good times untangling and cussin and... Yes I do make everyone wear life vests for a reason along with a answering a questionnaire about their ability to swim or tread water..... :eek::eek::eek::eek::p

Thanks for the link to the Lee PMs
I'm not a fan of either the Pro Auto Disc or the Auto Drum but have been using the Auto Disc.

I like to throw/weigh 10 charges for the small amounts of powder in handgun reloading to get an average, rather than chasing a tenth of a grain throwing/weighing a single charge over and over.

I can actuate the DISC measure with my left hand while hold a long case up against the expander with my right hand, following the expander up and down for 10 throws.

I can easily do this with the Auto Disc but the spring of the Auto Drum is too stiff for me to actuate it by hand.

"Long" cases 45acp top, 9mm bottom:
View attachment 346091

The problem I have with the Auto Drum is it leaks (HP-38) and I've tracked that down to the off-center screw that holds the hopper on, that creates un-even/one sided pressure on the elastomer wiper.

That, and too much clearance for the disc thickness allows powder to leak between the bottom of the disc and measure body.

I have tightened up the disc clearance and I'm working on a fix for the crooked hopper/seal pressure.
This leakage may be specific to HP-38, and may not be a issue with other powders or experienced by others who use the Auto Disc...just me:eek:
:D
I don't use HP-38 nor know what it's used for since I'm still technically a newbie. But I'll keep an eye out for leakage with the powders I will use like Longshot for 40S&W, IMR 3031 for .223 and W296 for 300 BLACKOUT. ;)

Well it's because I have a system on my boat (which is normally comprised of mostly newbys & maybe aone regular to help out).
When I have a flotilla with 4-6 rods out it helps to have them all paired so that they don't get tangled due to different length rods, different action of said rods and different line pound test. It is a method tto my madness that things work on the water instad of spending too much good times untangling and cussin and... Yes I do make everyone wear life vests for a reason along with a answering a questionnaire about their ability to swim or tread water..... :eek::eek::eek::eek::p
Oh I see so you're a guide that does charters? That makes sense, you don't want a bunch of tangled angry fisherman stuck on a boat.

So, it turns out that I can load about 100 rounds/hour using the Lee Classic Turret press. Because I read my load sheet wrong (it went load, powder, load powder and I read it powder, load, powder, load) I can also unload about 100 rounds per hour using a ballistic unloader.

But that gave me a chance to switch over from 700X to Bullseye. What a difference in metering! I check every 20 loads. With the 700x it was plus or minus up to 2 grains. With the Bullseye, it was 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7 - you get the idea. I purchased the 700X during the severe pistol powder shortage - I'll be laying in a stock of Bullseye now.
i did the same thing. bought 700x when bullseye became difficult to find. yeah it meters bad but i never had more than .3-.4 difference. i was using a rcbs uniflow. i guess i got lucky. burned thru the 700x and now bullseye is back!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top