JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Ignore the daily/weekly ups and downs and look at the longer term trends.

Prices seem to have peaked in January, but are going down since then.

Prices are still about 2X+ what they were a year ago though - down from 3X in January.

Ya, probably another year before we get to a normal, and likely not going back to Trump era pricing. Stuff in the classified section seem to be sitting longer too. The panic seems over for now but It only takes a little anti 2A political movement or a bad event to head right back where we have been for the last year though.

My opinion is that we went from a great economy to one that is now running 20% inflation especially in food and fuel. Guns and ammo are no longer driven by fear and panic so the market is changing to one driven by needs.

Prices on everything from lumber to fuel have risen so fast that the panic isn't focused on guns and ammo now. I believe a lot of new gun owners will be selling as the cost of living goes out of sight.

The market constantly changes. Copper is now at its highest cost ever, what does that do to everything that uses copper in it?

Last Edited:
Bookmark Current Tab
Edit Bookmark
Choose
Folder: Hello ATF Man/Guns/Stores - Ammo

Thanks for this site. Charts r cool.
There have been charts other places but I always have trouble finding them again. This one I bookmarked. I would have liked it to have more search options and if it went back further than last June, but something is better than nothing and I am encouraged by the trend.

I noticed the last few times I strolled by ammo counters there were boxes of 9/40/45. Prices still high but not as high as a few months ago. Even PSA website had 9mm FMJ Blazer brass sitting. Normally that is gone the moment you hit F5.

I have faith provided we don't have another big riot season across the US or another manufacturer going under production. Mid terms might scare back up sales a little but there's no way the industry is hurting after the last year of massive sales.

I don't KNOW anything for sure but from what I read the cost of living is going up. Todays report that new taxes on our industries will be higher than Chinas taxes tells us industries will move to China again.

Oil pipelines shut down and fuel is now back to Obama highs. Everything moves by fuel so cost are going up.

Jeep laid off 1,600 employees as they can't get the chips they need from China to build rigs.

Our economy was crashed by chinas covid and government prints trillions of dollars that empty the store shelves.

My prediction is gun and ammo prices will fall some but with the copper shortage ammo will fall slower. With 20% inflation folks are going to focus on needs so unless violence raises its ugly head I doubt prices will stay high.

MidWay USA has updated all their primer prices, and all are more than double what they were just a year ago. It appears that they are expecting to have primers in stock fairly soon as they now list all of them as "Temporarily Unavailable". Biggest take away is that high prices are here to stay, even though they are slowly dropping.

Prices on everything from lumber to fuel have risen so fast that the panic isn't focused on guns and ammo now. I believe a lot of new gun owners will be selling as the cost of living goes out of sight.
I believe this is a good read on what's happening right now. Add to this the fact that unemployment and stimulus money is drying up I suspect there will be some guns and ammo hitting the secondary market. Maybe some of the 'new' reloaders will want to sell some of their unused gear.

I believe this is a good read on what's happening right now. Add to this the fact that unemployment and stimulus money is drying up I suspect there will be some guns and ammo hitting the secondary market. Maybe some of the 'new' reloaders will want to sell some of their unused gear.
Oregon has dropped the federal waiver for job searches. Those wanting UI benefits will now have to complete their weekly job searches.

Not being Mr doom and gloom here but a realist on the economy. Our great economy is being destroyed so if prices come down it will be because folks can't afford to buy.

Its simply the way of the world as you float down the river of life. Enjoy life for what it is and if a good deal comes along.... well that just makes life a little better.

Have a great day gents.

The supply line for anything that requires in person processing is in chaos right now. It will take months for the issues to resolve. Until then, we will see chaos in the pricing of these items and the items that depend on those items. But people are going back to work - it won't be smooth, but over time it will improve.

Eventually people will go back to work and the market will settle.
I do agree with you on this, but I also wonder if that "settling" will be like what we have seen over the last few decades of oil/gas prices. 9mm might go down significantly but will it fall back to something like it was pre-pandemic? Obviously inflation will mean gradual increases over time which was also true with gas, but I'm concerned that consumers might also settle for $.40/round for cheap steel cased stuff which could lead manufacturers to stabilizing at those prices.

I'm no economist and don't want to come off as smarter than I am, just posting some of my humble musings from the past few months.

I believe a lot of new gun owners will be selling as the cost of living goes out of sight.
Some may, and I'm eager to open the beer I've been saving for the day when ammo 'investors' start to panic sell. Those who buy to shoot, ignore this, it's not about you (or me) but some people have always bought to make money in the past and then fire-sale at the end of the panic.

I suspect this time will be about the same.

Well, if the last rimfire panic was any example, ammo prices might not go back all the way. That remains to be seen. It is encouraging though that prices seem to be falling and anecdotally supply seems to be increasing.

I would like to see some actual data for the rimfire panic over the years before to see what the trends were.

I am fortunate in that I have been able to get most of my ammo stock at what I consider reasonable prices. I still have some gaps - but no way will I pay 3X+ or near $1 per round for FMJ/ball practice ammo. I don't need to.

When prices return to what is tolerable for me, I will be slowly building up more stock, starting with a couple of calibers where I think I am kind of below what I would like to have - such as 9x19, 7.62x39 (I once bought Hornady SST for something like 50¢ per round at BiMart) and more 7.62x51. I have enough .40 to make up for the 9x19, and enough 5.56 to make up for the 7.62x39, but still would like more of each.

Well, if the last rimfire panic was any example, ammo prices might not go back all the way. That remains to be seen. It is encouraging though that prices seem to be falling and anecdotally supply seems to be increasing.

I would like to see some actual data for the rimfire panic over the years before to see what the trends were.
My recollection is that there was a trend down, followed by a precipitous drop, followed by a steady decline down to a steady state that was about what prices probably would have been up to over that amount of time, even without the panic. In other words, the panic was, it seemed to me, a lump riding on top of the 'natural' gentle rise in prices of things.

But I'm just an old turkey who likes to miss the center of the target.

I do agree with you on this, but I also wonder if that "settling" will be like what we have seen over the last few decades of oil/gas prices. 9mm might go down significantly but will it fall back to something like it was pre-pandemic? Obviously inflation will mean gradual increases over time which was also true with gas, but I'm concerned that consumers might also settle for $.40/round for cheap steel cased stuff which could lead manufacturers to stabilizing at those prices.

I'm no economist and don't want to come off as smarter than I am, just posting some of my humble musings from the past few months.
I'm thinking that more like 20 cents for steel, 25-30 cents for brass... which is still double precovid panic prices. Just sayin'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top