JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When it's concealed, then no. That's why you get a chl. As far as open carry in Washington, the law on that itself is a joke.

Haven't read you RCW's eh? RCW 9.41.060(8) covers this gal completely, going to, coming from, and participating in; any outdoor recreational activity...a walk in the park is an outdoor recreational activity...totally legal, concealed or openly carried, no CPL necessary.

And what do you think is the "joke" in the WA law that concerns OC? As the only "law" that directly concerns OC is in the Washington State Constitution, Artical 1 Section 24....You think our state constitution is a "joke"????

I have LEGALLY Open Carried LOADED in WA since we moved here in 1970, most of that time without a CPL. No, The reason you get a CPL is so you don't have to wait when you get new toys from a licensed dealer. It does help in the winter when you want a long coat on too, but for that is not absolutely a necessity.

ATCClears, I'll go ahead and offer a public apology on behalf of all the bitter folks that derail your threads ...
Having lived in Portland for close to 20 years I can tell you that the majority of cops are power hungry dicks.
Isn't this thread about a place in WASHINGTON state?
And no, the majority of cops are not power hungry dicks; rather, the majority of internet gun forum posters think cops are power hungry dicks. Your average citizen could either care less about cops, rarely engaging in a negative interaction with one (and then usually only when the subject of a traffic stop) or actually understands that cops are simply normal individuals out there doing a rather unpleasant job, for the most part.

Also note, that in Washington state, it's a CPL. You're not in Portland anymore apparently, 22many ...

In a smaller town where you and I live I can see you being able to use the RCW you stated and get away with it. But in a big city it's different. Walking in downtown Seattle (or any big city for that matter) the RCW does not apply. I would love to see a cops reaction if you recited that RCW while walking in a big city. Forest rangers and sheriffs have a totally different mentality than cops do. That's why cops are disliked by the majority of the public. Getting stuck with a cop on a power trip is bad enough but then trying to tell him how to do his job? It gets even worse.

Having lived in Portland for close to 20 years I can tell you that the majority of cops are power hungry dicks. Once you mention you have a gun AND a chl you were (maybe still are) treated like a criminal. But I would rather have my chl in a situation like that then not.

I OC in Spokane quite often and have never had a problem. There are several threads on this very forum of positive stories involving OC in Seattle. You are obviously misinformed.

And all it takes is one cop with a power trip to ruin your day. You wanna go without a cpl then that's your choice. But don't get on a gun forum and say that there is no need for a cpl. After all, cpl holders prefer to have their guns loaded and ready. And not everybody owns or is gonna buy and haul around a fishing pole (try explaining that in a big city) just to skirt around the law.

First, the power tripping LEO (never met one personally, but have heard of them...like Karl Thompson in Spokane, off to jail with you thug) Karls "Power Tripping" cost the city of Spokane $1,670,000.00 (not counting lawyer fees on doth sides) and cost Karl Thompson 4 years an 3 months in Federal Prison. So, for you and all power tripping LEO's, there still is teh federal courts...you might want to exercise restarint...ya think?

In Oregon you may need a CHL and/or a fishing license, in Portland (NOT OR in general) to OC in a public park, but not in WA. You post your location as WA, but sound more like you live in (and agree with the law's of) Portland.

a lot of people say that "cops" are power hungry dicks, for that I have to disagree. Its only my brother in law who is the dick and therefor drags the rest of the guys down with him.:s0084:

I gave up my chl a while ago as I got hassled more having it than not. Does a 12 dollar fishing pole get the job done? Yes. If you live in a society or a area where you are so afraid to go armed. do something about the area or move. I am in no way saying that guns are bad, they are a tool and used properly are the best tool on the planet.

As for the OP. Inserting the mag and cocking the gun......if she shoots and kills the man the our gooberment steps in and says "that she was "trolling for" and it was "premeditated". But if she carries the gun "locked cocked and ready to rock" (had to use it sorry). then she deals with civil suits. either way ur fudged.
do I have a point or a moral to this long winded post? Why yes I do.. I got to rant and you read it.. thanks :s0155:

Last Edited:
Haven't read you RCW's eh? RCW 9.41.060(8) covers this gal completely, going to, coming from, and participating in; any outdoor recreational activity...a walk in the park is an outdoor recreational activity...totally legal, concealed or openly carried, no CPL necessary.

And what do you think is the "joke" in the WA law that concerns OC? As the only "law" that directly concerns OC is in the Washington State Constitution, Artical 1 Section 24....You think our state constitution is a "joke"????

I have LEGALLY Open Carried LOADED in WA since we moved here in 1970, most of that time without a CPL. No, The reason you get a CPL is so you don't have to wait when you get new toys from a licensed dealer. It does help in the winter when you want a long coat on too, but for that is not absolutely a necessity.

1970 huh? Then you would know that open carry is legal in Washington until someone calls the police and then you get ticketed. It's happened many times and people have been
prosecuted for it.

And yes, I do think our state constitution is a joke. In all actuality your post is a "joke".

ATCClears, I'll go ahead and offer a public apology on behalf of all the bitter folks that derail your threads ...
Isn't this thread about a place in WASHINGTON state?
And no, the majority of cops are not power hungry dicks; rather, the majority of internet gun forum posters think cops are power hungry dicks. Your average citizen could either care less about cops, rarely engaging in a negative interaction with one (and then usually only
when the subject of a traffic stop) or actually understands that cops are simply normal individuals out there doing a rather unpleasant job, for the most part.

Also note, that in Washington state, it's a CPL. You're not in Portland anymore apparently, 22many ...

If you know how to read then you would know that we were talking about cops in general. But being on how you want to bring up Washington, ever dealt with the cops in Spokane....

And who really gives a rats *** what it's called? CPL, CHL,
same thing. Only the anal overactive internet dweebs have to point that out....

1970 huh? Then you would know that open carry is legal in Washington until someone calls the police and then you get ticketed. It's happened many times and people have been
prosecuted for it.

And yes, I do think our state constitution is a joke. In all actuality your post is a "joke".

OK, I will tell you my experience over the years.

My first OC was at the Sedro-Wolley loggerrodeo in 1970. They had closed Metcalf street to have a quick draw competition and I was there to watch. After the competition was over, I noticed a lot of people OCing...not just the contestants, so I stopped one of the people that was OCing, and asked...and was informed that OC was legal, no license required. I went home, strapped on my Colt revolver, and went back to town. Being young dumb and happy, I walked into every open business in town, including the SeaFirst Bank (and transacted some banking business)...no-one said one thing, or even seemed to notice, even the cops (and because of the logger rodeo there were lot's of cops on duty).

So, forward a few years, I was accosted by a guy that said he was going to beat me to a pulp...Why? I have no idea who he was or why he wanted to harm me, but he did, and when he got close enough, I turned just far enough for him to see that old Colt revolver on my hip, and he very quickly decided he had better things to do elsewhere. The colt never even left it's holster...just being there was enough for him to get the idea, even though he was bigger and stronger than I was, he just might get hurt if he pushed his mad too far.

Anyway, my next "encounter" was with a Chelan County Sheriff's deputy (about 25 or 30 years ago)...I was shopping in a store in Manson for camp supplies. When the Deputy got there I had just finished loading my camper. Deputy says "hunting", I answered "Yep" Deputy turns and says to himself, nothing illegal going on here, and leaves.

My next encounter was after we moved into the Highlands 8 years ago. We were down in Tonasket walking down the street. Meet the CoP for Tonasket.. Chief says: Been living here long? I said, a couple months, just retired to a cabin in the highlands....Chief says, "well, when are you going to join our gun club, it's only $25 a year?" I said, Thanks, but we usually shoot up on our own property, but we may come down and participate in some of the competitions. End of that encounter.

And my last encounter was with a Skagit County Deputy at the Clear Lake Boat ramp this last summer...Deputy "What is it?" Me: CZ85, Deputy "Nice gun...."

Now, do you still think I am afraid of OCing? or cop encounters? Not one bit. I have never been asked to step out of my car on the few times I have been stopped for speeding. I have never been asked for my CPL, and I have never been disarmed or even questioned at a traffic stop about my carry...even though I carry on my right hip, openly...and I have been stopped where the officer has come to the passenger window (for safety, two lane road)...there is no way he could miss my carry, and I also know he knows I have a CPL, because when he runs my DL, that information will come back to him. I have even been stopped at 02:00 in the morning after driving all day (I guess I was a bit tired)...officer comes to the window and says, obviously you are not DUI...I would suggest you get a motel rather than drive that last 150 miles home tonight.

How you carry yourself, and how you react to the officer, that is what gets you hassled, or not. Nervous Nelly gets unwanted attention...calm, act like you are doing absolutely nothing illegal,,,and you will not become a target for unwanted attention.

Oh may I add: How do you get that confident quiet demure? By knowing the law...

WA is very OC friendly, for the most part. You might find a few cops that aren't, and a few people push the outside edges of the envelope a few times (and pay the price for it)...but I've never had a bad incident while OCing.

I have my CPL for convenience (like staying armed while in a car) - oh, and not having to wait three days when I'm buying a handgun...

22many remarks
If you know how to read then you would know that we were talking about cops in general.
Actually, I know how to read rather well, and this comment makes no sense. Appears this forum is not bringing gun-owners closer together, it's simply providing a vehicle for the dicks to sling insults at people who call them on their B.S.

No idea why a thread about a woman drawing a gun on a pervert turns into cop-bashing and derisive, sarcastic and insulting statements directed at other forum members.

22many remarksActually, I know how to read rather well, and this comment makes no sense. Appears this forum is not bringing gun-owners closer together, it's simply providing a vehicle for the dicks to sling insults at people who call them on their B.S.

No idea why a thread about a woman drawing a gun on a pervert turns into cop-bashing and derisive, sarcastic and insulting statements directed at other forum members.

Reread your post #22 and tell me again about bashing other members.....

And it is still apparent you don't know how to read. The thread turned into why you need a chl (or cpl as you like to correct people on). As far as the "cop bashing" goes, spin it however you like it. I really don't care.

I stayed away from this thread for the last couple day because it's just counter productive. If people don't understand the need for a chl then it's pointless to state why. Has nothing to do with being called "on their B.S.".

Oh, pardon me; I mistook you for the person who stated:
I can tell you that the majority of cops are power hungry dicks.
For the record, that's still a B.S. statement. And gosh, if you think my post #22 was bashing other members, well, it's doubtful that you're the one who should be casting aspersions on my reading ability.

Oh, pardon me; I mistook you for the person who stated:For the record, that's still a B.S. statement. And gosh, if you think my post #22 was bashing other members, well, it's doubtful that you're the one who should be casting aspersions on my reading ability.

Wow. If your unintelligent enough to think that that was bashing then maybe you shouldn't be on a public Internet forum. And, for the record, I don't care if you think it was a BS statement. It's apparent that you haven't been online enough to understand the difference between bashing and stating a opinion.

However I will point out that YOU were the one to bash other members. Not once did I say anything about another member. But hey, that not how you see it right?

And your reading ability? You probably think this thread is still about the so called "cop bashing"....

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

That might or might not fly in court as she wasn't "hiking" but was walking in a park. I don't know of any court cases where it's been decided what "hiking" consists of.

That might or might not fly in court as she wasn't "hiking" but was walking in a park. I don't know of any court cases where it's been decided what "hiking" consists of.

Thats kinda along the lines on what I was trying to say that if you were in a big city on how the RCW wouldn't apply. I couldn't see you telling a cop that you were hiking, or fishing, or hourseback riding, ect, ect in say, downtown Seattle and expect the cop to buy it.

The definition of hiking: To go on an extended walk for pleasure or exercise. or Walk for a long distance, esp. across country or in the woods. Seeing as how that lake is over a 3 mi walk I would say by definition she is covered as "hiking" and I believe she would be covered under any legal outdoor activity as walking is still legal I do believe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top