JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Talking about pissing off some liberals and trolling the ATF, well let me introduce to you the experts.

Meet Franklin Armory!

This is not a SBR. Yep this is a firearm. No tax stamp needed.

Boy oh boy the world we live in!

It likely won't be very accurate however, but still, one hell of a troll gun!

0D8F94F7-BA9A-45D3-B184-DC86133AD5EB.jpeg

They haven't released the details yet. No one really gets it yet.

My guess is they made the barrel smooth bore, which I'm not sure if it would make it an SBS or not.

That or the permanently attached the barrel to the receiver to somehow get a longer measurement on the barrels length.

Guess we will have to wait til shot show to get more info. Wonder what it's chambered in.... I was planning on buying or building an AR pistol this year with a 10.5" barrel...this would do assuming it's chambered in a rifle caliber.

I'm not getting either ...

• 11½" rifled barrel plus stock equals SBR.
  • 11½" smooth barrel plus stock equals SBS.
There are smooth bores that never had a stock that are Title I (e.g., Shockwave) or Title II, but AOW (e.g., Super Shorty). And there are rifled handguns with a bore diameter less than .50-inch that can fire shotshells (e.g., Judge and the clones). Where this one fits in is ... well, kind of odd and interesting.

Others think that it may come without a semi function. It may go around the one pull per round fired by being binary fired only.

Interesting part of that article.

Having already received approval as a non-rifle from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Division, Reformation® will be shipping without any onerous NFA paperwork required.
Franklin Armory® President, Jay Jacobson, noted, "The patent pending technology employed in Reformation® will create a whole new market segment that will not require NFA approval

Interesting part of that article.

Having already received approval as a non-rifle from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Division, Reformation® will be shipping without any onerous NFA paperwork required.
Franklin Armory® President, Jay Jacobson, noted, "The patent pending technology employed in Reformation® will create a whole new market segment that will not require NFA approval

Intriguing. It makes me wonder how they worked around the definitions. Thanks for posting that text.

If it works, legally and mechanically, it would be yet another demonstration of what an intensely stupid law NFA34 is.

So.....I may be getting too old to figure this out but just Who's trolling Who?

Appears more like Franklin Armory is trolling us for publicity.
Could be. However if it is a legitimate way to bypass the SBR laws, I'm calling it the ATF trolling of the year.

Well.... I would not be surprised at all to learn they figured out a work around... the ATF laws are all about details and wording.. there are a number of other products that have done just that.

I hope it's the real deal and it does create a new subset of legal short barrel "firearms"

YEah, I dont know.. I do figure though that things like this will force the ATF to rewrite the rules of whats what.. for better or worse.

ATF only has limited ability to do that though - Congress makes the laws and ATF gets to play within the bounds of the laws as written. If the LAW says "one pull of the trigger" = semi auto and "one operation of the trigger" for machine gun - and the binary fits in between and cannot be squeezed into either definition, then by fact of it not being expressly outlawed, it's legal.

As for "Firearm" vs "Rifle" "Handgun" or "Shotgun" - that's an interesting bit. I'm still not exactly sure how the Shockwave gets around SBS rules, because it's still a shotgun. It uses a smooth bore, it uses shotgun shells as ammunition, common sense says it's a shotgun. That it has a weird grip is beside the point really, but I guess technically it's not a pistol grip, nor a stock.

Really intrigued how Franklin gets around this.

I'm still not exactly sure how the Shockwave gets around SBS rules, because it's still a shotgun. It uses a smooth bore, it uses shotgun shells as ammunition, common sense says it's a shotgun. That it has a weird grip is beside the point really, but I guess technically it's not a pistol grip, nor a stock.

Indeed, the fact it does not have a stock and its overall length is the reason why. From the National Firearms Act Handbook (emphasis added):

2.1.1 Shotgun A shotgun is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.

2.1.2 Weapon made from a shotgun. A weapon made from a shotgun is a shotgun type weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.

2.1.5 Any other weapon. Firearms meeting the definition of "any other weapon" are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many "any other weapons" are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns.

Also included in the "any other weapon" definition are pistols and revolvers having smooth bore barrels designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

While the above weapons are similar in appearance to weapons made from shotguns, they were originally manufactured in the illustrated configuration and are not modified from existing shotguns. As a result, these weapons do not fit within the definition of shotgun or weapons made from a shotgun.

The Shockwave comes from the factory with no stock, so it is not a shotgun ("designed to be fired from the shoulder"), nor is it a "weapon made from a shotgun". It also isn't an "any other weapon" because, based upon the legislative history, ATF uses 26" OAL as the presumptive standard for if a firearm is "capable of being concealed on the person". Again, we see how mindless NFA34 is. ;)

Binary trigger?

The specific wording of 26 USC 5845 (emphasis added):
"(b) The term "machinegun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

"(c) The term "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger..."

--

So technically, a binary trigger would work around these two specifics.

A manual binary trigger would require 2 functions, a pull and push of the trigger... so it's not a machine gun...

Also a rifle specifically is defined by a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger, and maybe the legal workaround is the "push" aspect, therefore it's not a rifle...

IANAL, so who knows. Just guesses, but that'd be an interesting angle.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews