JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for new carry gun. So i shopped around for average on going price.

Iocal gun shop was asking msrp.

same gun i could get it online for around $100 less, even after all the fees.

I would love to support local businesses if they would stay close to average street prices.

is this normal nowadays? because i haven't bought a firearm for 4-5 years. i remember back i would only save close to $40, if i ordered it online.

hard to find good priced gun shop around Vancouver anymore. :(

In my experience, some LGS or FFL holders will welcome you to order online and have them process the 4473 and NICS for a fee. Its really up to you as to who you want to support. Some stores have earned my business and some wont see a penny from me.

I feel really bad about buying online, but for prices you get online and in stores, I can't justify spending an extra $50-$150 in local stores.
It's why so many local shops are shutting down. There's not a huge mark up on firearms so online retailers make money in volume and accessories. While local shops sell much less and have to charge more.

I used to try to buy used, face to face, but since the passing of BS BGC laws it's cheaper to buy online

I'll buy local and pay extra if I like the store, or if the online retailers don't have what I'm looking for.

Other than that, I'll only buy online. Online prices are just hard to beat.

I recently bought a couple of Shield pistols for about $50 cheaper each than what my LGS's cost was. He told me "great deal, maybe I should get you to order me a couple"

I buy guns from him and have them sent to his store. As long as you are giving a local store some business i bet they appreciate you

I drove to Portland to get my Shield 45 because they were priced at $365.00 + the $75 rebate whereas my local store here in Salem wanted well into the mid $500's for the same thing. I wanted the gun for the best price and will never spend $200 more just to get it at a local store.

It's a tossup for me. I'll buy at both places. Generally I hate to drive to Portland, so often times I'll just buy online. However, I found myself driving to Portland twice in one day last week for an item I wanted. Just depends on what deals I run across, I guess. I don't think I would have ever found my left handed Stag 6HL online for the price I paid for it at Northwest Armory, because I've looked online for the last 2 years and got lucky with the deal I got locally. Sometimes used items are that way. Most times when buying new, it's better to look online first, than to run around burning up fuel and tires to look at all the local shops... Let's face it, some items are just easier to find online. Some items can't be found locally, so we have to resort to buying online. I believe some of the shops are wise to this and some have even lowered prices on some things that aren't moving because of this...

Last Edited:
Iocal gun shop was asking msrp.

same gun i could get it online for around $100 less, even after all the fees.

I support the LGS whenever I can but if they cant match the price there is nothing wrong with going for the better deal or shopping online, don't forget that the on-line retailers are all American companies too employing Americans and somewhere they are somebody's local gun store.

In this discussion I also have to differentiate between a "real" local gun store vs. someone like Fisherman's or Sportsmans.
I would gladly give a nod to the local gun store that's not a chain sporting goods store, even if a local chain.
Being able to put my mitts on the actual item I want to buy compared to assuming I'm going to get what I expect from an internet seller, especially if it's a gun, is huge to me.
Either I find the gun priced to fit my pocketbook, or I don't.

Just this evening I was in a "local gun store" and saw a Ruger 77/22. The manager told me the asking price and thought it was over priced, then said what he thought it should/would sell for. I've wanted one for a long time and have seen several without a scope priced like the asking price of the rifle that's outfitted with a Leupold scope...

I'm trying very hard to not go back and buy it. If I saw it online for even a $100 less, I know that the shipping and then the transfer fee once it got here would easily eat up that difference. And you don't ind them for that kind of price anywhere.

Parts? yeah, it's usually better/cheaper online and I'm very guilty of purchasing these types of items.

On 7.62x39 at .18 online . I also find in bulk its cheaper online ammo wise.
Problem where I live locals are sometimes 200+ over Sportmans etc. I think some shop look at AL and price accordingly or see that way locally .

If you go to the Local Gun Store to handle the gun and check it against the others then they at least deserve to be the FFL you use. AT LEAST!
Don't be one of those aholes that spends 4 hours in and out of the local shop to check out a new product, and ask them all the questions anyone can imagine about what the product might be used for and then go buy it on amazon to save 10%. That is just rude!

If you go to the Local Gun Store to handle the gun and check it against the others then they at least deserve to be the FFL you use. AT LEAST!
Don't be one of those aholes that spends 4 hours in and out of the local shop to check out a new product, and ask them all the questions anyone can imagine about what the product might be used for and then go buy it on amazon to save 10%. That is just rude!
Agreed if I ever shop local then i'll buy there. If I can't pay what their asking I wont waste their time .

My favorite is when I have a price in mind that I researched for a gun shipped to LGS based off of their price (let's use GunGenie), so I then ask the LGS to give me a price on said firearm and their price is still $150-$200 if not more over the order online and have shipped directly price.

Now if they were to say "oh yeah, gun genie shows shipped here for $550 but xyz shipper wants $650.. so how about I order it in for you at the same price?" I'd surely go with the order in store vs order online and ship.

Why are LGS prices rising?
  1. Market
  2. Impulse buy
  3. Market
  4. Rent
  5. Wage increases
  6. Insurance increases
  7. Owner increases their wages
  8. Excuses

what if they are the only ones that have what your interested in but are asking almost twice what you can get on line?

I agree with not going and fondling their steel and buying else where. That's what gun shows are for.

I bought my shield 9 last wee for $289 and the $75 rebate on top of that.

The local FFL I picked it up at had the same pistol for $350.

I prefer to buy local but there's a limit to the premium I'll pay. I've told them "I can buy it online for $xxx. Can you match that?" If the answer is no, which it usually is, I'll ask how close they can come. If their price is within $25 I'll buy from them. If not I buy online. I've found sometimes that works. sometimes it doesn't. Either way there's no harm in trying.

well, if you can find it cheaper online... why not.
If it's cheaper or the same cost at a local shop, go that route, unless they are jerks. I haven't had online shops be cheaper. Of course I try not to look and tend to be picky. Also, I probably couldn't find almost any gun I want off hand in a local shop (unless I'm looking at it in the shop). I'm picky, and my taste is long past current production. I'll second a gun show, but that's just hear say.
Looking at things I want and can't afford or can afford but shouldn't buy impulsively is just too painful sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top