JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have found that haggling does work at a LGS. But Bimart has prices that are just as good as online.

Bi-mart is exceptional when it comes to prices. I'm glad I'm a member. I really like the store. However, how many of you have noticed that walmart generally blows their prices out of the water? For example, I've been buying a boat load of 69gr. sierra matchkings for my new AR and Bi-mart wants $25.97/box (can't remember the exact penny amount, but that's within a few cents) and wally world wants $22.47. You can imagine where I'm buying my bullets, because of the price difference.... Walmart even beats midway's prices and you don't have to pay shipping, if you buy locally..

For guns, I primarily buy online - price differences are just too large to pass on. But as others have said, I don't go into local stores and fondle guns, taking up their time, unless I plan to buy from them. And prior to SB941, I bought used local much more often, now, it's just kind of lost it's luster.

But, I do still buy from local shops - ammo, reloading gear, powder, accessories, etc. They likely make better margins on those items anyway. Ammo is nice to buy local (especially if you can find bulk buys) just to save on the hazmat fees for shipping it.

My local FFL has always told me he will help me find any gun I want, and he'll get it brought in to his place at a great price. I've not used him for that yet, but he's a great guy, so I'll be happy to give him some extra business that way sometime down the road. For now, he's the cheapest FFL in my neck of the woods for transfers and private sales.

I'm afraid the sad fact is that the habits of average Joe consumer are such that the convenience and price of the online sellers will ultimately wipe out many brick and mortar stores. Who would have thought, 30 years ago that mega-giant retailers like Sears, JC Penney, even K-Mart would all be facing bankruptcy, moving to online sales only or just plain shuttering the business?

The economy is shifting, though I wouldn't say it's all bad. I mean, it's nice to be able to really shop a lot of different products without having to drive all over heck and back to do it. It's also nice to be able to find things that you can't necessarily get locally. Most gun stores I've been in carry primarily what are the most popular guns, but that may not necessarily be what I'm looking for. I don't know, I lament the loss of big retailers and LGS's, but we all have to consider our own wallet as much as our sentimentality.

I agree with not going and fondling their steel and buying else where. That's what gun shows are for.

I bought my shield 9 last wee for $289 and the $75 rebate on top of that.

The local FFL I picked it up at had the same pistol for $350.
Whats funny is a year or so after the Shield came out we paid retail about 299.00 and now I saw them locally like 389.00. I saw that rebate deal and wished I could have got up there love those compacts.

what if they are the only ones that have what your interested in but are asking almost twice what you can get on line?
How do the online store gets their cost so low? They do not have to hire a staff to be there, or rent a retail space every month, so you can come in and handle their firearms. The Online Gun sellers are fully taking advantage of people going into the Local Gun Store deciding what gun they want and drive home to make the purchase with paypal.

Simple question: Is it worth 10% to be able to handle a firearm before you buy it?

If not then it wont be long before there are no more local gun stores and you wont have a place to go fondle the newest firearm before you buy it. You will just have to buy it and find out when fedex arrives.

I am not a gun store owner, or employee, just someone that supports small and local businesses.

For guns, I primarily buy online - price differences are just too large to pass on. But as others have said, I don't go into local stores and fondle guns, taking up their time, unless I plan to buy from them. And prior to SB941, I bought used local much more often, now, it's just kind of lost it's luster.

But, I do still buy from local shops - ammo, reloading gear, powder, accessories, etc. They likely make better margins on those items anyway. Ammo is nice to buy local (especially if you can find bulk buys) just to save on the hazmat fees for shipping it.

My local FFL has always told me he will help me find any gun I want, and he'll get it brought in to his place at a great price. I've not used him for that yet, but he's a great guy, so I'll be happy to give him some extra business that way sometime down the road. For now, he's the cheapest FFL in my neck of the woods for transfers and private sales.

I'm afraid the sad fact is that the habits of average Joe consumer are such that the convenience and price of the online sellers will ultimately wipe out many brick and mortar stores. Who would have thought, 30 years ago that mega-giant retailers like Sears, JC Penney, even K-Mart would all be facing bankruptcy, moving to online sales only or just plain shuttering the business?

The economy is shifting, though I wouldn't say it's all bad. I mean, it's nice to be able to really shop a lot of different products without having to drive all over heck and back to do it. It's also nice to be able to find things that you can't necessarily get locally. Most gun stores I've been in carry primarily what are the most popular guns, but that may not necessarily be what I'm looking for. I don't know, I lament the loss of big retailers and LGS's, but we all have to consider our own wallet as much as our sentimentality.

Locally here in the last ten years I think 3 stores opened and 5 closed. We have I think in my town 4 left.
And one is a pawnshop. Because now we have a Sportsman and Walmart and Bimart and those 4 have to compete in a town you can
almost hold your breath and drive thru.

How do the online store gets their cost so low? They do not have to hire a staff to be there, or rent a retail space every month, so you can come in and handle their firearms. The Online Gun sellers are fully taking advantage of people going into the Local Gun Store deciding what gun they want and drive home to make the purchase with paypal.

Simple question: Is it worth 10% to be able to handle a firearm before you buy it?

If not then it wont be long before there are no more local gun stores and you wont have a place to go fondle the newest firearm before you buy it. You will just have to buy it and find out when fedex arrives.

I am not a gun store owner, or employee, just someone that supports small and local businesses.
I know where I get ammo they buy truck loads of ammo keep it pretty much packed the same and turn around and ship pretty much no handling other then double boxing. And that gets them the prices that local cant buy truck loads and let it sit on the floor. Kinda like Ebay and selling on Craigs, on Criags you will see the item and get it cheap, on Ebay probably cheaper but you cant see it.,

Its absolutley worth 10% to handle the gun befor you buy it. But thats not the question I asked....

I think a lot of people here misunderstand how these large retailers work. They pay rent just as much as small stores do...
Bob Brownell was a gunsmith and started selling parts and supplies back in 1939. He offered a 100% guarentee on his stuff, his buisness grew and became sucessful. He opened a store. Now his company employs well over 300 employees nationwide. 300+ people putting food on the table because folks like you and I order from them on line.... This is what every small mom and pop gun store wants to happen to them. Small mom and pop stores are not going away, they just need to keep up with technology (start selling online) and run an honest buisness.... Some will close, the same ones that would close even if there wasnt large competition.

Sometimes one store has a sale price than another cant touch, no big deal. There is nothing wrong with going for the better deal.

Its absolutley worth 10% to handle the gun befor you buy it. But thats not the question I asked....

I think a lot of people here misunderstand how these large retailers work. They pay rent just as much as small stores do...
Bob Brownell was a gunsmith and started selling parts and supplies back in 1939. He offered a 100% guarentee on his stuff, his buisness grew and became sucessful. He opened a store. Now his company employs well over 300 employees nationwide. 300+ people putting food on the table because folks like you and I order from them on line.... This is what every small mom and pop gun store wants to happen to them. Small mom and pop stores are not going away, they just need to keep up with technology (start selling online) and run an honest buisness.... Some will close, the same ones that would close even if there wasnt large competition.

Sometimes one store has a sale price than another cant touch, no big deal. There is nothing wrong with going for the better deal.

Sorry... I didn't answer your question. Double the cost that could hurt. But I wouldn't use the local guys inventory to make my decision. I would read all about it online and then 'take my chances' with it being what I want. But that is me, and my personal convictions. :)

Sure the big box or online store pay rent. But it pales in comparison to all the LGS they are running out of town. If we all keep going to big box or online, there will be no more local guys or they will just start charging you to handle the gun in the store unless you buy it there. (Now there's an idea...)

Sorry... I didn't answer your question. Double the cost that could hurt. But I wouldn't use the local guys inventory to make my decision. I would read all about it online and then 'take my chances' with it being what I want. But that is me, and my personal convictions. :)

Sure the big box or online store pay rent. But it pales in comparison to all the LGS they are running out of town. If we all keep going to big box or online, there will be no more local guys or they will just start charging you to handle the gun in the store unless you buy it there. (Now there's an idea...)

I dont think there is anything wrong with using the LGS to handle the gun as long as you ask them if they can match, come close enough in price, and shop from them for other things.

I dont think the big box stores are running small stores out of buisness. There is a small LGS in my area I started going to instead of Sportsmans. Their buisness has been growing and they expanded their store space even. I dont see them going out of buisness. Across town is the Northwest Armory, a small locally owned store thats been a Portland staple all my life, I dont see them going out of buisness either.

A couple years ago I was looking for a new 1911 I called them up and asked what they had and prices. I told them about a deal I was looking at and the guy said that was a good price and gun. I did't buy from them but appreciated the honesty. Ive bought accessories from them in the past and will continue to shop there when I can, great store but they are always too far for me to drive to be a regular customer. I reccommended them to a friend last year who bought his first AR from them... They gained a new customer and still made a sale. They werent affected by my option to buy a gun elsewhere but gave me good service to help me decide... They are still in buisness and doing well in the face of big box stores like Brownells and Cabellas.

Customer service is what its all about and people are always going to buy locally whenever they can for that reason.... And that alone isnt something any online retailer can take away from the little guy.

I'll give my LGS first consideration, but if they don't have it or can't come close to the Internet price then I go there. I don't expect them to match closeouts or loss leaders.

I have found for AR parts that Curt's in Milwaukie sells at near Internet prices, sometimes lower, when you factor in shipping. They also stand behind everything no questions asked. When I bought a Samson rail from them a few years back and one of the mounting parts was missing they just got one out of one in inventory and then dealt with Samson to get a replacement. I've also lost a minor part or two doing work and they just gave me a replacement gratis when I went in to buy it. Also, you can order Dillon through them for list price, but free shipping if you pick up at the store.

I'll give my LGS first consideration, but if they don't have it or can't come close to the Internet price then I go there. I don't expect them to match closeouts or loss leaders.

I have found for AR parts that Curt's in Milwaukie sells at near Internet prices, sometimes lower, when you factor in shipping. They also stand behind everything no questions asked. When I bought a Samson rail from them a few years back and one of the mounting parts was missing they just got one out of one in inventory and then dealt with Samson to get a replacement. I've also lost a minor part or two doing work and they just gave me a replacement gratis when I went in to buy it. Also, you can order Dillon through them for list price, but free shipping if you pick up at the store.

Curt's is awesome. I am glad I live near them...

Only time I buy online is through this site, and that's not really buying online. I've gotta hold it before I can pull the trigger so to speak. Bimart has great prices, people are helpful and it's buying local. Win, win, win.

I like to shop local and support the smaller shops.
But with certain guns or items being of limited availability , sometimes I have to shop online to get a book , gun or supplies.
I do check the local places first...

Also I miss the human interaction when ordering online.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads