JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again...I wish we were closer...I have a nicely re-finished Remington model 33 I'd sell you .
Its great for teaching young folks how to shoot and firearm safety...as well as a excellent grouse getter.
Andy

I have one of these 1911 models from Umarex, and it has been a great little trainer. Reasonably accurate, metal frame and slide, holds 18 bb's in a magazine along with a co2 cartridge, so replacing the metal magazine is just like on the real thing, and replenishes the Co2, as well. The slide racks super easily, very little spring tension. Not sure if the grip size would be too big, though, but other than that, it's pretty nice.
Edited to add that it has blowback action, and locks open when empty.

Yikes! Yah, no thanks. And thanks for the tip.
I did a bunch of looking myself. I ended up getting the Savage Rascal. Threaded model of coarse. Going to stamp it and make it truly kid sized.

I'll start him like you are, with a pellet gun or something similar in the backyard.

• I'm not entirely sure what "air soft" is. If it can be used as a training aid worth looking into.
Thanks again. :)

I love airsoft, and used to be really into it. They are definitely worth looking into. Here is a Glock model, and you can see the similarities and differences between an actual gun. They come in a variety of models, but the function of them is all relatively similar.

Airsoft, or softair as some call it, has the advantage of predominately being replica guns. Practice will be similar to any other firearm your peewee will use in the future, aside from loading CO2. Cheaper models will use batteries or require you to manually pull back the slide for spring operation. CO2 guns also have slight blowback, if that interests you. Plastic BB's also hurt a lot less than steel and can be bought biodegradable (still takes years).
One disadvantage is also their reason for prominence, airsoft guns are used to play "tag". That may not be good for teaching safety, but honestly the lesson would have more influence than the device. Failure of the lesson would also have less damaging effects, so that's a plus.
I probably wouldn't get my kids softair guns until about 12, but I'd also expect them to shoot eachother. :s0114:
Used to be airsoft was steel BBs and lead pellets, and softair was plastic BB's.

I'm tempted to get one of these, and it's likely your girl could get a good grip on one.

Airsoft, or softair as some call it, has the advantage of predominately being replica guns. Practice will be similar to any other firearm your peewee will use in the future, aside from loading CO2. Cheaper models will use batteries or require you to manually pull back the slide for spring operation. CO2 guns also have slight blowback, if that interests you. Plastic BB's also hurt a lot less than steel and can be bought biodegradable (still takes years).
One disadvantage is also their reason for prominence, airsoft guns are used to play "tag". That may not be good for teaching safety, but honestly the lesson would have more influence than the device. Failure of the lesson would also have less damaging effects, so that's a plus.
I probably wouldn't get my kids softair guns until about 12, but I'd also expect them to shoot eachother. :s0114:
Used to be airsoft was steel BBs and lead pellets, and softair was plastic BB's.

I'm tempted to get one of these, and it's likely your girl could get a good grip on one.
They're a blast!

BCA409CF-AA4D-42D4-A361-F16ED413AF1E.jpeg

Does she shoot regular firearms yet? 7 is a little older than when I think I first got to.

I just put in for a SBR on the Rascal i bought for my son so it will be truly his size.

If looking at air pistols. The good ole classic Crosman multipump 1377 is a great pistol. Used to have two pump wars with them as kids. The first pump isn't too hard on them, but after the second it gets tougher. Two pumps usually got the job done.

View attachment 802821
I own one of these and I wouldn't recommend one for a small child. there are finger pinch points that will really hurt, which would really spoil her shooting experience, either go with a CO2 powered pistol or with a real 22 pistol, if you have easy access to a place to shoot. The CO2 pistols may have large capacity magazines and are quiet enough that they won't upset your neighbors when fired in your back yard. My 2 penny's worth! :rolleyes: :p
Gabby

I own one of these and I wouldn't recommend one for a small child. there are finger pinch points that will really hurt, which would really spoil her shooting experience, either go with a CO2 powered pistol or with a real 22 pistol, if you have easy access to a place to shoot. The CO2 pistols may have large capacity magazines and are quiet enough that they won't upset your neighbors when fired in your back yard. My 2 penny's worth! :rolleyes: :p
Gabby
Good point, I'd say skip the CO2 and get a gas pistol though. They can use readily available propane to fill their little tanks (usually in the magazine) and a small tank used for a camp stove lasts a good while compared to having to always have those little co2 thingies.

Good point, I'd say skip the CO2 and get a gas pistol though. They can use readily available propane to fill their little tanks (usually in the magazine) and a small tank used for a camp stove lasts a good while compared to having to always have those little co2 thingies.

I'm not familiar with the gas pistols, do you have a link to them?
Gabby

Gabby
Here are a few. They also make rifles that take gas.

Get an adapter and a case of bio degradable bbs and you'll be going for a while!

25466-5_1400x.jpg

I notice that the pressure on the propane tank is listed at around 150-180 psi, vs 860 for co2....I already see the co2 ones as being disadvantageous for much of the year in the PNW due to it generally being about 40 degrees here, and after about 10 shots on a co2 cartridge,.the pressure is falling off noticeably until it warms back up. CO2 guns where the magazine changes out a new cartridge help. What kind of fps are they getting on the propane guns?

Gabby

One example, evoke has a good selection of green gas AirSoft pistols. They're good to do business with.

One I would consider is the various versions of crossman 2240/2300/2400. U can get at crosman custom shop in ur exact flavor for relatively cheap. Go for a lothar Walther barrel if at all possible. Makes a gigantic difference in accuracy (as in same hole at 20 yards, indefinitely, if correct pellet and don't run out of gas). I also suggest the $4 trigger shoe. These guns are also endlessly customizable if so inclined. The $19 plastic carbine stock is interchangeable with the pistol grip.
E1AE8493-E57E-4E0D-98E3-9058ACD7F7B6.jpeg
BA05F519-0415-4A4F-AF50-DC50ADA89846.jpeg BFFFA540-6F6A-4A05-BCAA-D38B2614FA85.jpeg 95D38E10-6DD4-4D6B-BD31-7996501F727A.jpeg

My daughter (age 7) has a Daisy Red Ryder which she likes very much. I was thinking of introducing her to pistol shooting as well. Shooting with said would only be done under the supervision of me, my wife, or both of us.

I know next to nothing about contemporary air guns. (Other than the aforementioned Daisy, the only other air gun we have is an el cheapo Chinese .22 single shot rifle I used in eastern Oregon to dispatch vermin, and haven't shot in many years.)

Anyway, any recommendations, etc., would be welcome. Thanks. :)
So did you come to a conclusion on which way you will go?
Inquiring minds and all that!
Gabby

So did you come to a conclusion on which way you will go?
Inquiring minds and all that!
Gabby

I honestly haven't. This week has been a meat-grinder at work.

One thing I'm kicking around is taking her to the farm supply, Sportsmans, etc., and seeing if she can try different grip sizes. But that is a trip to the city.

This thread has supplied lots of ideas though. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top