JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My daughter (age 7) has a Daisy Red Ryder which she likes very much. I was thinking of introducing her to pistol shooting as well. Shooting with said would only be done under the supervision of me, my wife, or both of us.

I know next to nothing about contemporary air guns. (Other than the aforementioned Daisy, the only other air gun we have is an el cheapo Chinese .22 single shot rifle I used in eastern Oregon to dispatch vermin, and haven't shot in many years.)

Anyway, any recommendations, etc., would be welcome. Thanks. :)

Ruger SR22 would provide her with an enjoyable experience. My daughter was about that old when I started her out with it.

I agree. Skip the pellet pistol and go straight for an SR22 or a Walther P22.

Her mother actually has a Walther P22 for plinking/practice.

p22-jpg-jpg.594747

@CountryGent since you asked about AIR guns.......

There are some decent CO2 powered pistols that can be had for pretty cheap. Even some local sporting goods stores carry them. Stick with known brands like Crosman or Daisy. She's 7, so she probably won't really appreciate anything higher end anyway. I could be wrong, no disrespect if I am. :)

I've found Crosman's to be decently accurate for little money.

Does she shoot regular firearms yet? 7 is a little older than when I think I first got to.

I just put in for a SBR on the Rascal i bought for my son so it will be truly his size.

If looking at air pistols. The good ole classic Crosman multipump 1377 is a great pistol. Used to have two pump wars with them as kids. The first pump isn't too hard on them, but after the second it gets tougher. Two pumps usually got the job done.

1609903755902.jpeg

A lot of choices out there...

For a young person with smaller hands and not a lot of strength, I recommend something similar to this:

I had one, a bit small for me, but accurate and lots of shots per co2.

gamopellettesthunter001.jpg

Really depends on your/her goal. Want her to learn some self-defense techniques or participate in the Olympics? Two different guns of course.

10m-Air-Pistol-Anatomy.jpg

She'll shoot her eye out!

Just finished watching A Christmas Story, my close out of the holiday season...

@CountryGent there are traditional bb/pellet and there's air soft, that shoot 6mm plastic bb. There's Co2 powered, pump or spring operated. It really boils down to what your looking for, and which projectile type you prefer.

For example, here's an AirSoft Sig P229 Co2 powered, top.
6110AE5B-8708-45B8-82F1-99CFF3496B23.jpeg
And here's a Sig Air P365 Co2 powered bb air gun, bottom.
DFA583B5-C2A6-425D-85D2-718892CA5328.jpeg

Certainly, both are close replicas to their real center fire kinfolk. Both were in the $100 range. I also have a 1911 AirSoft and a 2.5" Cobra AirSoft. The latter uses removable cartridges that AirSoft pellets are placed into and then individually loaded into the cylinder. They can be quite authentic.

Sharing to give you an idea of what's out there. Evoke.com has traditionally had a good selection, decent prices and easy to do business with.

Good luck in your quest.

I'd get one of these for myself... I mean my daughter!
;)
Of course I grew up with a S&W 1911 that shot 6mm plastic BB's, they're still about $15.
Sig, Glock, and many other popular brands also make BB or pellet versions of their most popular pistols.
Can't go wrong with a Browning, Ruger, or High Standard .22lr from yesteryear either.

I also played with some of these when I was growing up, if you're sold on pellets and not BB's.

Last Edited:
@Reno beat me to it!
That Crosman pump pistol is a fantastic little gun. They are fairly nose heavy so the youngin will probably hold the fore end somewhat like holding a rifle, but they are accurate and working on just one pump are perfect for tipping cans.
We used to have what we called "Redneck Bowling" competitions in our garage during the winter. Using a cardboard box filled with foam as a backstop, we would stack cans in a pyramid and see who could topple them with the least shots.:)

Thanks all for the thoughts, etc. Random thoughts of my own:

• My main concerns are:
    • Safety, obviously.
    • Something that will fit her small hands and that she can hold without much difficulty. Too big and she'll get frustrated.
  • Nice to haves would be:
    • A repeater.
    • Applicable to later guns.
  • She has not shot actual firearms yet. Though she is at an age that tightly supervised shooting with a .22 could be in order. (I was shooting earlier with various firearms, but we have time. The first pistol I ever shot was a full-sized 9㎜ Astra when not much older than her; I think that kind of pistol will come much later for these wee ones.)
  • One of my brothers bought Cricket rifles in .22LR for his potato-heads. They look interesting as they are "shrunk down" for little people. I've seen at least one threaded for a can.
  • We do have a .22LR silencer that could be attached to the aforementioned for quiet instruction/shooting.
  • I'll be buying her brother (age 5) his own Daisy this summer.
  • I'm not going to deny it; that Broomhandle BB gun looks like a lot of fun. Not likely applicable here, but still neat-o.
  • I'm not entirely sure what "air soft" is. If it can be used as a training aid worth looking into.
Thanks again. :)

@CountryGent stay away from Crickets. They must be cocked by hand to fire. I've personally witnessed a kiddo trying to cock one but he did not reach the point it engaged the sear and it fired. It was pointed down range, but non the less it scared the crap out of everyone.

@CountryGent stay away from Crickets. They must be cocked by hand to fire. I've personally witnessed a kiddo trying to cock one but he did not reach the point it engaged the sear and it fired. It was pointed down range, but non the less it scared the crap out of everyone.

Yikes! Yah, no thanks. And thanks for the tip.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top