Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Light strikes with SIG P290

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Apr 29, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I took my SIG P290 to the rage to put a quick hundred rounds through it today. It did not go as well as I had hoped.

The worst part wasn't the fact that I was all flinchy due to a massive headache (I have a sinus infection) or that I was pulling the gun low getting used to the new trigger at first. The worst part was that I had two light primer strikes on my very first magazine.

I will admit that I did not do my usual disassemble and clean routine before taking this gun to the range. I was in a big hurry so I just took it right out of the case and went shooting. I am hoping it is just a case of a dirty firing pin channel or something similar.

I will be taking it back to the range ASAP after I clean it. I hope the problem toes not occur again.

I did get video of the light strikes if anyone is interested in seeing it. You can also look at my bad form and my disgusted look after the FTF's. :)

YouTube - Light Strikes with SIG P290

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Very odd.. what are ya gonna do?

3. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Light stikes, or hard primers? I have seen a rash of hard primers lately... Although being new it could have grease and or gunk from the factory up in the firing pin channel...

4. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Have you changed the hammerspring or is it a stock pistol? Like the above, sounds like a dirty firing pin channel. Let us know. Spad

5. jaweber

jaweber Yakima Member

hey this must be the yankee marshall what up buddy it's vengeful. i would be pretty pissed off

6. PlayboyPenguin

Hey, sup...this is indeed TheYankeeMarshal. I am not too upset yet. It is looking more and more like it was an ammo issue. I was using some old ammo that I am hearing from others has a reputation for some hard primers. I was not able to repeat the issue with some WWB when I returned.

7. mcathcart

mcathcart Beaverton, Oregon Active Member

So, No second strike on the p290, is that right?

8. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

correct

9. PlayboyPenguin

I am not understanding why either. The only thing I can figure is it allows the trigger mechanism to be shorter.

10. Lloyd Braun

Lloyd Braun Vancouver Active Member

p290 sucks
    warned ya playboy
    was it as blocky and fugly as advertised?

11. PlayboyPenguin

No, it is not blocky at all. It is actually quite a petite gun. Check out the comparison I did between it and my Kahr.

I have not been able to recreate the light strikes with other ammo and I must admit I prefer the build quality of the P290 over my Kahr.

12. PlayboyPenguin

I am not going to sit here and lie and say it has a better trigger than the Kahr. It just doesn't. I do not think any DA semi-auto does. What I will sat is I like how it is built much better. I also like the exposed hammer. It helps me anticipate the shot. As far as build goes, the grip is better made with less rough edges and seems (it also feels sturdier) and the rail system is all metal and not just polymer or polymer with metal reinforcing inserts.