JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone else using a Job Box for ammo storage? I am leaning in that direction myself. I understand the Ammo Can is pretty well suited for the job but for the price, you aren't that far away from a safe that has at least a little fire security and real locking bolts in the door. Again, not hating on the ammo can, just conflicted (like 2A) about what the best solution is.

Anyone else using a Job Box for ammo storage? I am leaning in that direction myself. I understand the Ammo Can is pretty well suited for the job but for the price, you aren't that far away from a safe that has at least a little fire security and real locking bolts in the door. Again, not hating on the ammo can, just conflicted (like 2A) about what the best solution is.
The store in Sequim pretty much used a job box for their black powder storage. Same as anything you use,just need to keep the temp constant. And maybe control moisture

(Old pic) This pic was taken when my idea became reality. I'm real happy with my project.
20160929_134825.jpg

Yup. Works well IMO. How much would a cheap safe run you and how much actual security are you getting in a cheap safe? Personally, I think locking bolts in any safe up to $600 or so is probably just an illusion. You've seen all the videos on YouTube about how easy it is to get into a cheap safe, right? I mean, if you could find one in the $250 range...which is what you can get a job box for (more or less)...sure, why not. But if you had to pay $350 or higher for a safe, I don't think it's worth the added cost...at least to me. I also like the idea that you can add wheels to a job box and move it around as needed.

Well, I changed my mind and went with a Bighorn "safe". For $600 I got a "safe" that has half again as much interior space as the Ammo Can and has a little security (fire rating and door bolts). I have seen all the vids about how easy it is to break into one of these but I think it is probably a little tougher than a job box (time consuming at least). Sure it may only be a little but I was willing to pay the extra for that little piece of mind plus I have actual shelves so I can see where everything is.

As for wheels on a job box, no offense but that seems like a bad idea. I would rather not make it easier for the bad guys to roll my ammo into the back of their truck. ;) Just my opinion though.

For simple ammo can storage, put 2 2x4's down cut to length & run a high grade chain thru the can handles. The 2x4's being separated leaves a channel for the chain. Padlock, done. Keeps prying eyes & little fingers out.

Adds time/noise for a thief to waste cutting etc. time they would otherwise spend trying to steel your other stuff. Have them waste time by labeling lead diving weight filled ones as "Silver bars"... ;)

I have changed my mind again. Although I still think my Bighorn is a little better than the Ammo Can for the money, I have found a Knaack 139 jobbox that is way bigger than than the Bighorn. Straight across trade. Everyone's happy.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of the area for a couple weeks. I'll include a picture of one of the Ammo Cans as I have kept it (while rotating stock in and out) since I got it. This particular safe always stays full and is the first one I purchased around Feb/March after poking around for input here. I post this, because I kind of wish someone had put a picture up like it before I bought mine. (I know, I know poor opsec, but I sacrifice for you guys)

View attachment 307184

They serve my purposes perfectly. I say "they" because I ended up buying a new one, used it for a few months, loved it and sold a handgun to pick up another "used" one. Both are loaded similarly as the picture shown. I cannot speak to the flaws that others have described, as I have not experienced any of them.

My shelves are not bowing, the lock, while simplistic, works as intended. The door, while simplistic, works as intended. I got one for my brother as a house warming present for his first home, he has had it two months now and no complaints.

Are they industrial load bearing shelves? No. They are permanently affixed however and certainly stronger than regular liberty shelves in my actual gun safe. All in all, if this is an option that you think might work for you, I say do it. For the price and the aesthetic value alone, they make their money back in peace of mind, ease of access and storability / rotation and in not tripping over ammo cans and boxes of rounds.

If anyone has any more questions, please ask!
Is this the liberty ammo can safe you have?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top