JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to a new Liberty safe, while I was ordering I looked at the "Ammo Can" anyone have one? I'm wondering if its worth the price and how much ammo it will really hold on the shelves weight wise.

safe-ammo-can-interior-chrome-textured-black-gray-fabric-img-lg_s30_g100_gp183_ch3_ce16_ci3.jpg

I don't, Sig. But they seem pretty expensive just to store ammo. I just use Stack On's, under $100! Sure, not as secure and certainly not fire proof, but that's why I have insurance! If it'll stop a kid or slow a casual burglar, that's all I'm asking. Of course, I used to have a 135# dog to help so I feel a little naked now that she's gone.

Last Edited:
Sgt. Which ones are you running with? I considered this but I assumed I wouldn't be able to load up the shelves very high on the sheet metal ones? I'm less concerned about them being "secure" as I am having ammo nicely stored and easily accessed.

Well, I have two of the Stack On's, I don't know the model # but they don't have shelves. They are about 3' square and bolted to walls and shelves in closets. Now I also have an old, smallish safe that came from a restaurant. It's heavily fire proof and also bolted down in a closet. The remainder of ammo is locked in the drawers of the steel cabinet that supports my workbench. I have a very stable bench!:)

As an update guys, I ended up going with the Ammo Can for convenience and I got a deal on it.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was concerned about the strength of the shelves, but they are quite sturdy.

Over all, while the price may seem high, it's a quality storage / safe that doesn't need to be reinforced. I was able to fit quite a lot of ammo in it, and still have room for more. It's fit and finish is as quality as my other Liberty safe which is nice.

Its not a "safe" in terms of protection, it will keep nosey people / kids out and I doubt that a legit thief would devote the time necessary to pry it open to steal ammo.

The way I can access the ammo makes rotation easy to figure out, if you stack it with some common sense.

I have a few cans left for loose rounds and range trips, but over all I don't miss all the cans I had accumulated.

Any way, just my observations so far.

I've thought of getting the ammo box safe as well, but I'm leaning more towards the site box idea so it's not as appealing to a theif as a gun locker might be. Plus it would be a little easier to secure and not look as out of place with everything in my garage storage area.

I keep my ammo in old heavy locking filing cabinets, not the elchepo flimsy ones. They are next to nothing in cost and although the locks are not that strong they keep kids and hopefully casual buglers out.

@IheartSig and @Max713
How about an update on the "Ammo Can" :cool:
Are they all you expected?
I'm thinking about getting one.
Not at all... The shelves in mine are flexing (I have a lot of ammo :D)
Also, one of the "bars" for the locking mechanism is failing, when opening the safe it now falls back into the door, and you have to slam the door when closing, while turning the key to get it to come back out of the door and lock.
Maybe I got a dud... But I will be attempting to return mine back to cabelas next week. I bought a new 48 gun safe today, will be converting my old 24 gun into an ammo safe.

The trouble you mention makes me think, is the safe level?
Beins you got a new gun safe, return the Ammo Can for a refund or credit maybe?

I keep my ammo in old heavy locking filing cabinets, not the elchepo flimsy ones. They are next to nothing in cost and although the locks are not that strong they keep kids and hopefully casual buglers out.

Yes, those pesky buglers, because NO one wants to hear Reveille while being robbed.:rolleyes:

Plus one on the locking filing cabinets, heck some times people even give them away.
Brutus Out

@IheartSig and @Max713
How about an update on the "Ammo Can" :cool:
Are they all you expected?
I'm thinking about getting one.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of the area for a couple weeks. I'll include a picture of one of the Ammo Cans as I have kept it (while rotating stock in and out) since I got it. This particular safe always stays full and is the first one I purchased around Feb/March after poking around for input here. I post this, because I kind of wish someone had put a picture up like it before I bought mine. (I know, I know poor opsec, but I sacrifice for you guys)

20160705_215037.jpg

They serve my purposes perfectly. I say "they" because I ended up buying a new one, used it for a few months, loved it and sold a handgun to pick up another "used" one. Both are loaded similarly as the picture shown. I cannot speak to the flaws that others have described, as I have not experienced any of them.

My shelves are not bowing, the lock, while simplistic, works as intended. The door, while simplistic, works as intended. I got one for my brother as a house warming present for his first home, he has had it two months now and no complaints.

Are they industrial load bearing shelves? No. They are permanently affixed however and certainly stronger than regular liberty shelves in my actual gun safe. All in all, if this is an option that you think might work for you, I say do it. For the price and the aesthetic value alone, they make their money back in peace of mind, ease of access and storability / rotation and in not tripping over ammo cans and boxes of rounds.

If anyone has any more questions, please ask!

My inner selves have had the better of me.
The guy on the left shoulder says, just go buy the Ammo Can and be done with it!
While the guy on the right shoulder says, buy another safe instead!

Another thought was to buy a Job Box. Now all three of us are having a debatical :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews