JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I need to preface by saying I do not believe in Sasquatch or pretty much any cryptid in popular culture. Not that new species aren't discovered all the time, they most certainly are, by the thousands. However, a primate of that size, living in the now thoroughly populated Pacific Northwest, that has zero confirmed physical evidence, and plenty of exposed hoaxes? Sorry, candidly, I'm not buying it. (And in personal experience in rural country all over the western part of this continent, as far north as British Columbia, as far south as the Mexican state of Sonora, and most of said time in Oregon, southern/eastern Washington, and northern California, I've never, ever seen anything matching the description of a Bigfoot. And I've encounter some, well, pretty odd things out in the wilds.)

All that said, the eldest brother in my family, who is easily the most accomplished hunter and fisherman among our tribe, described such an encounter on the Oregon dunes many moons ago: he was hunting, just starting out, and spied what he first thought was a black bear, then that didn't match and thought maybe a very large man with dark complexion and clothing, but that too did not match, and he noticed the "clothing" was fur. The two stared at each other for a few moments before the rather dusky fellow tore off into the bush, with a loud grunt.

Do I believe this report? Yes and no. Yes, I believe my brother saw something; he's an accomplished outdoorsman, a (now retired) Army officer, and was clear he was not joking around with his family in this report. No, I'm not ready to believe that such a primate species exists without more evidence. But I will grant there is, perhaps, a genuine mystery there. And such a thing has inspired much scientific inquiry. Einstein once said "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." :s0155:

I must have mistook your waxing poetic over coyote sounds
Yes you did but I appreciate the compliment!

Most consider my writing to be crude and uncivilized but your intrepreterptation of this as 'waxing poetic' has given me a profound understand my words obviously have a greater effect than I ever imagined and I will be guided in the future by the strength of your observation!

Yes you did but I appreciate the compliment!

Most consider my writing to be crude and uncivilized but your intrepreterptation of this as 'waxing poetic' has given me a profound understand my words obviously have a greater effect than I ever imagined and I will be guided in the future by the strength of your observation!
So you now have a profound understanding of the meaning of words, yet decided to snip my quote.

That's DEEP man!

OK....here we go....1973. I was on the landing early where I was bucking timber in late October. I was the first one on the landing about 0630 hours. I figured I would touch up the chains on my saws. Gray light of dawn. I laced up my corks on the back of my pick-up. It was raining pretty good up on Burnt Mountain where we were logging old growth in Coos County at about 2300 feet elevation. I looked up and saw this very large foot print in the mud. I used my bucking tape to measure it. It was about 16 -18 inches long. I went up the little hill to see if I could follow it or get a glimpse of what made it. I found what looked like the front of the foot... (toes and foot pad) about 5 feet away. Consider it was going up a steep muddy bank. I didn't see anything but by the time I went back past where the first print was it was pretty much washed out. It was raining pretty hard. So whatever it was must have been right there when I pulled up to the landing. I have hunted and killed a number of bears. This was NOT a bear print. No claws. Looked like a bare-foot human print. So that is my Sasquatch story. Probably nothing out there. Right?

OK....here we go....1973. I was on the landing early where I was bucking timber in late October. I was the first one on the landing about 0630 hours. I figured I would touch up the chains on my saws. Gray light of dawn. I laced up my corks on the back of my pick-up. It was raining pretty good up on Burnt Mountain where we were logging old growth in Coos County at about 2300 feet elevation. I looked up and saw this very large foot print in the mud. I used my bucking tape to measure it. It was about 16 -18 inches long. I went up the little hill to see if I could follow it or get a glimpse of what made it. I found what looked like the front of the foot... (toes and foot pad) about 5 feet away. Consider it was going up a steep muddy bank. I didn't see anything but by the time I went back past where the first print was it was pretty much washed out. It was raining pretty hard. So whatever it was must have been right there when I pulled up to the landing. I have hunted and killed a number of bears. This was NOT a bear print. No claws. Looked like a bare-foot human print. So that is my Sasquatch story. Probably nothing out there. Right?
Hoax!

Obviously someone was waiting there for you in the rain to prank you, duh.

I do not "believe" in Big Foot....but I also do not outright dismiss stories about him from folks that I have no reason to distrust.

Just tossing this out there....
What if Sasquatch is a spiritual presence or a "personification " so to speak of the wilderness...
Instead of a truly physical being....?

Again not saying that I believe that either..Just something to think about.
Andy

A number of Indian tribes considered bears quite like "just another tribe" that occupied their environment, since they were often observed standing (sometimes walking) upright, were easily determined to be extremely intelligent, often demonstrated no fear when encountered, and ate nearly exactly the same wild foods.

Also, when a bear is skinned, the body morphology is almost frighteningly similar to that of an Olympic wrestler.

A number of Indian tribes considered bears quite like "just another tribe" that occupied their environment, since they were often observed standing (sometimes walking) upright, were easily determined to be extremely intelligent, often demonstrated no fear when encountered, and ate nearly exactly the same wild foods.

Also, when a bear is skinned, the body morphology is almost frighteningly similar to that of an Olympic wrestler.

Having hunted bear both with and for tribal elders....
Yep...I can say that for who I hunted with and for...that was true.

And yeah the sight of a skinned bear , can give one pause as they do look very human like.
Andy

Are any of these accounts frequently in or around a particular geographical location?

Without actually saying he saw Sasquatch, a buddy of mine said he was camping east of Mt. St. Helens (maybe Ape Caves area) and saw/heard something huge and upright crashing through the trees near his site. He went to look, finding some broken tree limbs and very long somewhat human-like turds. And the entire area stunk horribly - downwind, upwind, all around. So he grabbed his gear and split.

He seemed legitimately convinced when he related all this to me.

But I can't get too spun up since he also claims his last (really old) house was haunted. A group of paranormal aficionados visited to "confirm"/explain why his dogs were acting weird near the only door to the basement. Their explanation was that someone had been been murdered there in the 40s and was still present. Things were getting moved around down there, including (of all things) guitar amp settings getting changed daily.

Have I seen anything like this? Never. It's so far beyond what I'm capable of buying into. I don't know what to think when seemingly credible people tell me about it.

When in the woods and one encounters an animal of significant size, the mind (supplied by the eyes) rapidly goes through the ever-present human trait of "categorization". We want to put what we are seeing into a slot occupied by things we have seen before.

In my experiences with bears in the woods, they travel as if "they own the place". Almost never furtive or halting, frequently standing on their hind legs to test the air or pad their front feet up the trunk of a tree. Their reaction to seeing or smelling something (sometimes me), is that they often purposefully walk right toward it;. entirely uncharacteristic of any other animal.

As a result of their behavior and appearance, on more than one encounter my mental "slot machine window" of categorization for more than an instant included (disturbingly) some type of primate or human. To finally settle on "Bear" was actually quite comforting.

Another unusual trait I have experienced with bears I have shot (most with bow and arrow) is that often after hit they will of course run off, only to turn around and come right back to the "scene of the crime" to see what had inflicted the pain. THIS is VERY disturbing (and unlike any other animal in the woods).

One thing is for sure..if it is proven that there is such thing as Bigfoot, the deniers will be the first ones out to exterminate it.. ;)
Mmmm...
Well as I said....
I don't believe in big foot....nor do I outright dismiss the stories of those that do....
I also will not be "out to exterminate it " if big foot is proven to exist.

For what it is worth Whatcom Wa ( where I live ) passed a law in 1991 proclaiming that
Whatcom county was a "Sasquatch refuge area"....and that harming one was illegal.
Andy

Mmmm...
Well as I said....
I don't believe in big foot....nor do I outright dismiss the stories of those that do....

For what it is worth Whatcom Wa ( where I live ) passed a law in 1991 proclaiming that
Whatcom county was a "Sasquatch refuge area"....and that harming one was illegal.
Andy

Fortunately for the rest of us, you do not enjoy the same protection.:p

Mmmm...
Well as I said....

Andy

I will tell my story from when I lived in Ferndale this weekend.

If there was a bigfoot I would have bagged one already. I have been hunting many years and logged many hours in the woods of course a good amount of that napping. Only twice did I see something that I could not explain once was an opticle illusion and the other maybe a bigfood. About 7-9 years ago Weyerhaeuser opened up their property to vehicals on weekends after 20 years of being closed off to the public. That year you paid per vehicle so going in with some friends it was not a bad deal now they charge per person.

I was driving with my bro in law and it was getting late I was trying to group up with my buddies and took a wrong turn and we were driving through a grassy clearing on the side of a hill. Up above us was where the Caves were that some of the Mollala Indians lived the road was going back into the trees and I was looking forward when something massaive crossed the road through the trees really fast about 100 yards ahead. FIrst thought a Elk or Deer jumping accoss so I sped up and then it started to dawn on me deer are not that color I thought for a moment as there are some large ravens there but I though no this was much bigger maybe a black bear but it was too big and too tall. I stopped to take a look but something gave me the creeps like spider senses tingling so I didn't get out of the truck and drove on.

I finally grouped up with my buddies one of which hunted the land with his father in law 20 years before they had closed it off he had a big grin on his face and I said you think I am nuts and he said no that same thing had happened to him back when he was a kid up there and he never told me about it because he thought I would laugh at him and call him nuts.

So OP either you are nuts or you are some kind of bigfoot magnet. Maybe they are some kind of spirit and they are messing with you because of something you or your ancestors did. :p.

Maybe I need to hunt with you so I can finally bag a bigfoot.
So I'm gonna say your last comment could be somewhat of the reason. Maybe Bigfoot is some type of biblical being. Only seems to show up once in a blue moon and then gone. No tracks. No photos. Nothing.

Just sayin

I've done the camping thing all over the Great Northwest for decades, mostly the more remote Forest Service roads, and MAINLY in Washington state.

Only once did I ever see any evidence of Bigfoot. And that was down in Oregon.

A friend of mine and I were on a Forest Service road in the Siuslaw National Forest in Oregon. Early 1980's. We were actually camped out at a State Park in the little town of Yachats, on the coast. It was my friend, his wife, the truck and camper, and the Jeep he towed behind the thing. We left his wife at the campground and just went into the hills for the day with the Jeep.

So after a few hours of all this Jeep driving we finally come to a dead end on some Forest Service spur. I couldn't tell you exactly where it was, but maybe twenty miles from the coast. We got out of the Jeep and started walking on into the woods from the dead end. Not very far in, we came to a cathedral-like spot where the old growth still existed.

And that's where we found several tracks. Usual Bigfoot size and shape tracks. Frankly, it scared the heck out of both of us. I got up on the heel of my hiking boot and sort of jumped up and down, trying to duplicate the depth of the tracks. Dirt wasn't very firm, but I couldn't come close to making my track as deep as the ones we saw.

I had no weapon that day. My friend had left his pistol in the Jeep. He wants to go back and get it, follow the tracks, maybe get a shot at whatever MADE the tracks. I talked him out of it. We decided to just drive back to town, since it was getting late in the afternoon.

That night, we all went to a small bar in Yachats. And after dropping our story on a couple of the locals, they weren't very impressed. They said sometimes people would go up in the woods and purposely MAKE Bigfoot tracks here and there just to do it and get people talking. Still...way out there past the end of a dead spur seemed a pretty unlikely place to do such a thing. Took a lot of weight to make those tracks, and they were very fresh. Didn't convince me that Bigfoot existed, but it was kind of weird.
I'm calling BS on this story.
There ain't no way a Jeep drives all day without a breakdown... ;)

Well if BF existed somebody would have bagged one by now. I have seen and heard some odd things in 45 years of wandering around in nature but most all can be rationally explained unless you want to believe or imbibe enough to believe. It is a hot topic at my house and we are split down the middle on our believing. I am a home brewer and the name of my little operation is the Bigfoot brewery. View attachment 716825
You "bag" a Bigfoot, and I'm guessing you'll be behind bars for a long time for murder. Lol!!! I ain't shooting no Bigfoot!!!

We lived in Whatcom County in a location surrounded by woods and wetlands. There are many game trails that migrate through the property and had spotted deer and coyotes on a regular occurrence. The area we lived in is adjacent to lakes, streams, and reaches to Puget Sound through a string of forest that has not been cut down. Our home is in a clearing surrounded by trees, ponds, and marsh. The rear of our home has a partially covered porch with a door leading from the laundry room to the covered section and a set of French doors leading to the uncovered section.

March 30, 2013; At approximately 9pm on a Saturday night, my wife and I were watching TV when I heard a commotion on our back porch. (We feed a few feral cats and have set up a small welfare state for them on our back porch) I glanced towards rear of the house from our living room to see the motion sensor light from the porch turn on and off several times. I have the timer set low so the time between lighting is short. I got up and looked out our laundry room and saw the porch was in disarray (knocked over containers and plastic bins). The cats were gone and there were no raccoons, coyotes, or possums in sight.

At this point I wanted to make sure there was no one outside our home as we are in the woods and off the main road a bit. The cats will run off if the coons come around but rarely cause a commotion like what occurred that night. I went to the front of the house and stepped out the front door, closing it behind me so I could listen. It sounded like someone was walking in the grass on the east side of our home so I quietly opened the door and stepped back into the house. Grabbing my handgun and a flashlight, I looked out the security window at the top of the door to make sure no one was in sight of the door then stepped back out onto the porch. As I heard the walking sound from the right side of the house, I circled left from front to rear checking for footprints in the grass/tracks in the dew. I completed a full circle around the house without seeing any indication of anyone walking in the grass.

I then started sweeping the forest and wetlands area next to the house with my flashlight. I saw what appeared (based on size) to be cat or raccoon eye shine far out into the woods. As I swept over the wetlands area, I saw a set of amber eye shines that were spaced far apart (appeared to be about 8-10" apart) and was slightly higher than my eye level. As I was standing in an area that I knew to be higher than the area that I was looking at, it registered in my brain that whatever owned the eye shine was taller than I was by about a foot and a half (I am 6'3").

What could not register in my brain was what it could be as the space between eyes and the height could not correlate to anything in my mind (it was like running through a Rolodex of likely sources and the only thing I could come up with was: a cow in a tree...). I was still and the shine kept looking at me for about 45 seconds. As I could not explain, in my mind, what this could be, I just wanted it to go away.

I was pretty shaken at this point (and I am pretty level-headed). Just wanting it to go away, I figured I would discharge my handgun to scare it off. My flashlight was not powerful enough to see what owned the shine so I would not shoot directly at it. I raised my pistol enough that whatever it was would see the muzzle flash as well as hear the shot to scare it as I did not want it around. While continuing to look at the shine, I fired a round into a stump. At this point I figured whatever it was would run away; not so. The shine continued to look at me and seemed really still. At this point I was really shaken knowing that this creature was not threatened enough to take off after the shot. I continued to try to register what was going on in my head for another 45 seconds when I noticed my ears ringing (I did not have earplugs in when I fired my handgun). Adding to my fear, I realized that I could not hear anything if something came up behind me.

My wife opened the front door to see if everything was ok and I decided to go back in the house to "regroup" (the shine was still looking at me). I grabbed my electronic ear muffs and my shotgun and went back outside only to find whatever it was had left. My wife knew that I had seen something that I could not explain..as I was shaken. At this point the threat (in my mind) was no longer there and I was not going to look for it so I called it a night.

The next morning, I went out to view the area where the shine was watching me from. It was a lower area than I was standing the night before. The area's vegetation looked to be trampled down with branches stepped on and broken but did not appear to be a regular game trail. In my backyard, I found a bare footprint that was equivalent of a size 13 shoe but wider.

Not sure what I saw...

Note: 2 weeks prior to that happening, I heard a commotion in the woods and what sounded like a grunting hog in the woods behind the house. Actually called my wife outside to listen to it as I was really perplexed to hear that sound in the PNW (used to hearing it in the woods in Florida and Jungles in Guam).

Note: 2 weeks after the event, a small, lone, tree (~3" in diameter) on the east side of the house had been snapped and left hanging at about 9' high. No other trees in immediate area to drop limbs nor were there any limbs on the ground nearby to indicate anything had fallen on it.

I have pics of the footprint and tree break I will post when I find.

Watch out for cows in trees ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads