JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, straw purchases from a licensee are a felony. Doesn't matter if you can legally own a gun or not. If you don't want to wait, get your own permit or buy from a private party.

some talk of "straw purchase", but if you were to by a gun and give to b-inlaw for a gift, this eliminates the "straw purchase" (does it or does it not ?) i say this cuz my b-inlaw just pulled a firearm out of his safe last wk/nd, and gave it to me for my 23rd "AA" birthday

steven

some talk of "straw purchase", but if you were to by a gun and give to b-inlaw for a gift, this eliminates the "straw purchase" (does it or does it not ?) i say this cuz my b-inlaw just pulled a firearm out of his safe last wk/nd, and gave it to me for my 23rd "AA" birthday

steven

None of the talk on straw purchases applies to your scenario.

Straw purchases are when you are purchasing from a FFL. There's a question on the form that asks if asks if the firearm is being purchased for you. Gifts can be an exception.

The OP was looking to avoid a waiting period so he was dealing with a FFL. He also mentioned paying his BIL for the gun.

Would it be legal to have my b-in law who has a cpl and does not have to wait 7 days in Wa,buy a gun that I want and then sell it to me ,thus helping me avoid the 7 day wait?

There is no 7 day waiting period in Washington State. You fill out the paperwork and as soon as the local law enforcement agency clears it you take the gun home. Yesterday we had one come back within 15 minutes of faxing it to the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

And what you are describing is illegal. The first question on the 4473 asks if you are buying the gun for yourself.

Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

You could've just went and bought the gun and start putting the wait period behind you, from the timeline on this thread you have already wasted at least 17 hours. There are times that even those with a CPL have had to wait.

There is no 7 day waiting period in Washington State. You fill out the paperwork and as soon as the local law enforcement agency clears it you take the gun home. Yesterday we had one come back within 15 minutes of faxing it to the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

There is a 5 day waiting period on handguns in Wa state unless you have a cpl RCW 9.41.060

5 FULL work day waiting period. Since the government assumes no one works on the weekend it takes 7 days or 6 if you buy on Saturday.

Like I posted above that is not true anymore. You may have a law enforcement agency that drags their feet in your area, but in Clark County most people without a CPL wait no more than 1-2 days. We had one yesterday get approved in 15 minutes, guy came back and had his gun in 1-2 hours.

Get your permit. I can tell you the wait is not very long if you have a good record and Uncommon name. My CPL was in the mail 8 days after I submitted it here in Pierce county.

It is just a smart move, that way if anything happens in the future and you need to carry for some reason you are covered.

Here in Pierce if you have a CPL the store will call the agency and on the phone usually get a go/wait/decline within a couple minutes and while on the same phone call. I was at a store Thursday and watched it take <5min. It took the clerk as long to get the store manager for final sign off as it did for the phone call!

Like I posted above that is not true anymore. You may have a law enforcement agency that drags their feet in your area, but in Clark County most people without a CPL wait no more than 1-2 days. We had one yesterday get approved in 15 minutes, guy came back and had his gun in 1-2 hours.

You are lucky. I have never heard of that happening over in the spokane area. I know a bunch of people who have gotten their ccp just to not wait. They don't even pretend here, just seven days and come back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top