Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Legal question about dodging the 7 day in wa state

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by LyleLovett666, May 12, 2012.

1. LyleLovett666

LyleLovett666 Seattle Active Member

Would it be legal to have my b-in law who has a cpl and does not have to wait 7 days in Wa,buy a gun that I want and then sell it to me ,thus helping me avoid the 7 day wait?

2. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Outside Ft Lewis East Gate Active Member

You should probably ask a lawyer or someone qualified to answer such questions. Were I your B-in-law, you'd be waiting the 7days.

iusmc2002, enjr4, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

is that cause you want him as your cell mate?

4. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Pretty much a textbook straw purchase. Not legal.

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, straw purchases from a licensee are a felony. Doesn't matter if you can legally own a gun or not. If you don't want to wait, get your own permit or buy from a private party.

6. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

some talk of "straw purchase", but if you were to by a gun and give to b-inlaw for a gift, this eliminates the "straw purchase" (does it or does it not ?) i say this cuz my b-inlaw just pulled a firearm out of his safe last wk/nd, and gave it to me for my 23rd "AA" birthday

steven

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. drew

None of the talk on straw purchases applies to your scenario.

Straw purchases are when you are purchasing from a FFL. There's a question on the form that asks if asks if the firearm is being purchased for you. Gifts can be an exception.

The OP was looking to avoid a waiting period so he was dealing with a FFL. He also mentioned paying his BIL for the gun.

8. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

thanks drew ! now, i do understand that ! this is one of the big headachs at gun shows !!

steven

9. drew

Our biggest gunshow headache is requiring background checks for FTF sales.

10. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

There is no 7 day waiting period in Washington State. You fill out the paperwork and as soon as the local law enforcement agency clears it you take the gun home. Yesterday we had one come back within 15 minutes of faxing it to the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

And what you are describing is illegal. The first question on the 4473 asks if you are buying the gun for yourself.

11. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

You could've just went and bought the gun and start putting the wait period behind you, from the timeline on this thread you have already wasted at least 17 hours. There are times that even those with a CPL have had to wait.

12. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

There is a 5 day waiting period on handguns in Wa state unless you have a cpl RCW 9.41.060

13. stmcelroy

That's not correct anymore. As soon as the law enforcement agency approves the transfer the handgun can be transferred to the buyer, many times this is the same day.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/firchart.html

14. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

5 FULL work day waiting period. Since the government assumes no one works on the weekend it takes 7 days or 6 if you buy on Saturday.

15. stmcelroy

Like I posted above that is not true anymore. You may have a law enforcement agency that drags their feet in your area, but in Clark County most people without a CPL wait no more than 1-2 days. We had one yesterday get approved in 15 minutes, guy came back and had his gun in 1-2 hours.

16. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

That's good to know. Every time I buy a pistol I have to wait 5 days my local law enforcement must be feet draggers

17. stmcelroy

Where you at?

18. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

Get your permit. I can tell you the wait is not very long if you have a good record and Uncommon name. My CPL was in the mail 8 days after I submitted it here in Pierce county.

It is just a smart move, that way if anything happens in the future and you need to carry for some reason you are covered.

Here in Pierce if you have a CPL the store will call the agency and on the phone usually get a go/wait/decline within a couple minutes and while on the same phone call. I was at a store Thursday and watched it take <5min. It took the clerk as long to get the store manager for final sign off as it did for the phone call!

19. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

You are lucky. I have never heard of that happening over in the spokane area. I know a bunch of people who have gotten their ccp just to not wait. They don't even pretend here, just seven days and come back.

20. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

That sounds like an illegal Straw Purchase.
    As per RCW RCW 9.41.090 - the wait time is "5 business days", not 7.