JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Gang. I started out with nice leather holsters for carry. Got bit by the Kydex bug. Now I find myself going back to leather. Are others out there walking the same twisting path? Just curious. Both seem to have advantages and both seem to have drawbacks too. What say ye?

I like leather holsters,
Even though they can weigh more and at times promote rust.

However I recently received from Ryan at Orygun Holster Company a really squared away Kydex holster for my 1911.
It is a OWB , strongside ( left handed ) carry holster.
It fits and carries my pistol excellently and I really like it.
The holster is well made and works for me and how I carry
Never thought I'd say that about a Kydex holster
Andy

Last Edited:
I like leather holsters,
Even thought they can weigh more and at times promote rust.

However I recently received from Ryan at Orygun Holster Company a really squared away Kydex holster for my 1911.
It is a OWB , strongside ( left handed ) carry holster.
It fits and carries my pistol excellently and I really like it.
The holster is well made and works for me and how I carry
Never thought I'd say that about a Kydex holster
Andy

+1 for Ryan at Orygyn Holster, I've got three of his now...love em.

+2 or is it +3 for Ryan @ORYGUNHolsterCompany.

He did a OWB all kydex with matching dual mag holder for the opposite side to even out the weight of a 1911.

The IWB I got from him is leather on the side that goes against the body and kydex on the outside.

Both have an excellent grip on the gun and make wearing a 2.5 lb gun easy and comfortable.

I have an all leather OWB for another gun and have no issues using it if it's under a coat or on dry days.

Kydex.

I started carrying in craptapulous nylon soft holsters that friends should not let friends use. You know the type. There are leather versions too, just as useless.

Then I moved onto Uncle Mikes (because they were cheap and I was poor) "kydex" injection molded stuff. They work, but they're really bulky. I do like how their paddle holds better than most, but I've grown to dislike paddles in general.

From there I got into leather - tried a few - always gravitate back to Galco because it's good stuff. IF I were to go back to leather for anything, it'd be Galco. I particularly like the FLETCH holster, but since I don't carry behind the hip anymore, that holster is about useless to me. I am honestly tempted to pick up a Jackass rig or a Miami Classic for certain situations. I'm holding back because I don't want to drop that coin on something I won't use very often just yet.

From there I went to Kydex - stuff made by me. My early work was horrific, looking back on it, but it worked. The stuff I'm making today, you can't trace the lineage back to the old stuff, there's just nothing about them the same, aside from the material. Today I use a half ton rivet press, injection molded hardware, and stainless black oxide screw sets when I can, with soft belt attachments, and the kydex is pressed in a heavy duty neoprene press. My early stuff was formed by hand, more akin to boning leather. It was one piece, including the folded belt loop attachment. Scary stuff, now that I know better.

Like I said above, I am tempted to get a specific leather rig for a specific use, but otherwise I'm kydex all the way. Even for pretty guns, I'd prefer Kydex for it's qualities over leather. There are kydex finishes that mimic leather, and you can adhere a veneer of leather to the exterior and interior if you really must have that real leather look. I've dabbled in doing synthetic suede linings - and do find a bit of a comfort increase from it.

I do shop around with leather, but I seem to prefer RKBA locally but there is another in Vancouver, WA I think, out of state I have Galco, Bianchi, and High Noon. Hybrid I have Cross Breed, and lots of Alien Gear. I think Kydex is better for drawing and I used to go Blade Tech, but now Ryan!
The only 'Nylon' holster is a ankle holster from Cross Breed. Edit: Oops not true I do have some 'Sticky' holsters and Ruger included one with the LCP II.

For my IWB rigs I prefer a single clip holster worn about 3 o'clock. I normally do not wear them 8+ hours/day. They clip in and then they are removed after a couple of hours. Should I need a duty type holster for extended IWB use I go with an Alien Gear set up. I really like the feel of leather holsters but unless it is worn OWB it pretty quickly becomes a pain on the hip on long trips. I am breaking in a Bianchi #100 Pro holster. I believe it has potential. Worn it a little over 2 hours at a stretch with no issues so far.

Really I don't carry enough to be a good judge on comfort but I have never liked kydex . I have had the Uncle Mikes ballistic nylon holsters but always seem to gravitate to leather.

I just got my appreciation of my Navy Service, holster for my Ruger SR9C from Ryan at Orygun Holster Co. I've been wearing it full time since Christmas Eve when it arrived in my mail box. I found it to be more comfortable to wear than my excellent Blackhawk all leather IWB which I've been using for 3 1/2 years. The leather backing is conforming to my body and the wide profile spreads the weight and makes my gun feel lighter to me. I really like mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend his product to anyone who wants a Kydex and leather holster. He's a member here so look him up if you are in need of a holster, I don't know what he charges for them so you will have to contact him yourselves.
I have to say thank you Ryan for your thoughtfulness by remembering us who have served in your own way. I truly appreciate it and I'm sure the others who you gave your gifts to will agree with me. Yup you are a peach!
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads