Leather, Kydex,Both, Neither?

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by Pops1911, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

Hello Gang. I started out with nice leather holsters for carry. Got bit by the Kydex bug. Now I find myself going back to leather. Are others out there walking the same twisting path? Just curious. Both seem to have advantages and both seem to have drawbacks too. What say ye?

Sgt Nambu, AndyinEverson and Joe13 like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

I like leather holsters,
    Even though they can weigh more and at times promote rust.

However I recently received from Ryan at Orygun Holster Company a really squared away Kydex holster for my 1911.
    It is a OWB , strongside ( left handed ) carry holster.
    It fits and carries my pistol excellently and I really like it.
    The holster is well made and works for me and how I carry
    Never thought I'd say that about a Kydex holster
    Andy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Sgt Nambu, oknow, Joe13 and 1 other person like this.
  3. DB Wesner

DB Wesner
    Tacoma
    You need more cowbell. Silver Supporter

+1 for Ryan at Orygyn Holster, I've got three of his now...love em.

Sgt Nambu, BillGabby1, oknow and 4 others like this.
  4. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

To me, all steel guns (including all revolvers) deserve classic leather. Work guns do well in kydex.

Sgt Nambu, Joe13 and Pops1911 like this.
  5. L84Cabo

L84Cabo
    Orcas Island, WA

Yes.

Sgt Nambu, mjbskwim and Joe13 like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

+2 or is it +3 for Ryan @ORYGUNHolsterCompany.

He did a OWB all kydex with matching dual mag holder for the opposite side to even out the weight of a 1911.

The IWB I got from him is leather on the side that goes against the body and kydex on the outside.

Both have an excellent grip on the gun and make wearing a 2.5 lb gun easy and comfortable.

I have an all leather OWB for another gun and have no issues using it if it's under a coat or on dry days.

BillGabby1 and oknow like this.
  7. brenty

brenty
    Beaverton

my holsters i use are from garrett industries and are kydex with a leather lining on the inside, love it, will never go back.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. mkwerx

mkwerx
    Forest Grove, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Kydex.

I started carrying in craptapulous nylon soft holsters that friends should not let friends use. You know the type. There are leather versions too, just as useless.

Then I moved onto Uncle Mikes (because they were cheap and I was poor) "kydex" injection molded stuff. They work, but they're really bulky. I do like how their paddle holds better than most, but I've grown to dislike paddles in general.

From there I got into leather - tried a few - always gravitate back to Galco because it's good stuff. IF I were to go back to leather for anything, it'd be Galco. I particularly like the FLETCH holster, but since I don't carry behind the hip anymore, that holster is about useless to me. I am honestly tempted to pick up a Jackass rig or a Miami Classic for certain situations. I'm holding back because I don't want to drop that coin on something I won't use very often just yet.

From there I went to Kydex - stuff made by me. My early work was horrific, looking back on it, but it worked. The stuff I'm making today, you can't trace the lineage back to the old stuff, there's just nothing about them the same, aside from the material. Today I use a half ton rivet press, injection molded hardware, and stainless black oxide screw sets when I can, with soft belt attachments, and the kydex is pressed in a heavy duty neoprene press. My early stuff was formed by hand, more akin to boning leather. It was one piece, including the folded belt loop attachment. Scary stuff, now that I know better.

Like I said above, I am tempted to get a specific leather rig for a specific use, but otherwise I'm kydex all the way. Even for pretty guns, I'd prefer Kydex for it's qualities over leather. There are kydex finishes that mimic leather, and you can adhere a veneer of leather to the exterior and interior if you really must have that real leather look. I've dabbled in doing synthetic suede linings - and do find a bit of a comfort increase from it.

Sgt Nambu and Pops1911 like this.
  9. Pandaz3

Pandaz3
    Cornelius, Oregon
    NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I do shop around with leather, but I seem to prefer RKBA locally but there is another in Vancouver, WA I think, out of state I have Galco, Bianchi, and High Noon. Hybrid I have Cross Breed, and lots of Alien Gear. I think Kydex is better for drawing and I used to go Blade Tech, but now Ryan!
    The only 'Nylon' holster is a ankle holster from Cross Breed. Edit: Oops not true I do have some 'Sticky' holsters and Ruger included one with the LCP II.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

For my IWB rigs I prefer a single clip holster worn about 3 o'clock. I normally do not wear them 8+ hours/day. They clip in and then they are removed after a couple of hours. Should I need a duty type holster for extended IWB use I go with an Alien Gear set up. I really like the feel of leather holsters but unless it is worn OWB it pretty quickly becomes a pain on the hip on long trips. I am breaking in a Bianchi #100 Pro holster. I believe it has potential. Worn it a little over 2 hours at a stretch with no issues so far.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  11. Hawaiian

Hawaiian
    Tigard Oregon

Old school. I like leather. Smells and feels better than plastic.

Sgt Nambu, mjbskwim and Pops1911 like this.
  12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho

Really I don't carry enough to be a good judge on comfort but I have never liked kydex . I have had the Uncle Mikes ballistic nylon holsters but always seem to gravitate to leather.

Sgt Nambu and Pops1911 like this.
  13. BillGabby1

BillGabby1
    Southern Oregon

I just got my appreciation of my Navy Service, holster for my Ruger SR9C from Ryan at Orygun Holster Co. I've been wearing it full time since Christmas Eve when it arrived in my mail box. I found it to be more comfortable to wear than my excellent Blackhawk all leather IWB which I've been using for 3 1/2 years. The leather backing is conforming to my body and the wide profile spreads the weight and makes my gun feel lighter to me. I really like mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend his product to anyone who wants a Kydex and leather holster. He's a member here so look him up if you are in need of a holster, I don't know what he charges for them so you will have to contact him yourselves.
    I have to say thank you Ryan for your thoughtfulness by remembering us who have served in your own way. I truly appreciate it and I'm sure the others who you gave your gifts to will agree with me. Yup you are a peach!
    Gabby

Pops1911 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. BillGabby1

BillGabby1
    Southern Oregon

I'm still a purist on my wheel guns, they aren't carry guns though. They just wouldn't look right in plastic dontcha know!

Pops1911 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a lot of leather holsters for OWB carry!
    99% of the time I carry IWB and I use hybrids exclusively for that!

Pops1911 likes this.