JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up my first parkerized handgun. My other handguns have been bead blasted stainless, melonite; whatever "Tenifer" is. All have done well with kydex, which is what I prefer from a functional standpoint. The pistol is an SA 1911.

Anyone have any experience with the difference in wear between the two products on parkerized guns?

I have used both kydex and leather holsters on guns with blued or a parkerized finishes...
I can't say for sure which is better or worse ...holster wear will happen.

Dirt and grit , in the holster , along with body sweat seem to cause more harm than the holster itself.
Andy

I recently picked up my first parkerized handgun. My other handguns have been bead blasted stainless, melonite; whatever "Tenifer" is. All have done well with kydex, which is what I prefer from a functional standpoint. The pistol is an SA 1911.

Anyone have any experience with the difference in wear between the two products on parkerized guns?

Did you score that SWEET SA 1911A1 Government Model that was in the WTS-WA classifieds for $450?

If so, I'm jealy!! Except for the roll-marks, it was the spittin' image of the ones I carried in Big Green!

Did you score that SWEET SA 1911A1 Government Model that was in the WTS-WA classifieds for $450?

If so, I'm jealy!! Except for the roll-marks, it was the spittin' image of the ones I carried in Big Green!

No, but similar. I got the SA Loaded 1911-A1.

F71E8611-9288-4E1F-950F-3F176F37D030.jpeg

Smooth Kydex will wear less than leather, after all, what do you use to sharpen knives. Neither is a big issue, gives the gun character!
Not trying to be contentious, but the leather I use to finish, or strop, when sharpening my knives and chisels all have rouge impregnated in them, otherwise they would be rather ineffective for anything but fine burr removal and even then somewhat less effectual.

Not trying to be contentious, but the leather I use to finish, or strop, when sharpening my knives and chisels all have rouge impregnated in them, otherwise they would be rather ineffective for anything but fine burr removal and even then somewhat less effectual.
Yep, that is the point, it also absorbs sweat, dust and dirt to scrub the finish, Kydex is mostly silky smooth and can also be sprayed with a lube. To be honest, you would probably get some wear with either.

Yep, that is the point, it also absorbs sweat, dust and dirt to scrub the finish, Kydex is mostly silky smooth and can also be sprayed with a lube. To be honest, you would probably get some wear with either.

Wear is inevitable, but I have noticed excellerated wear on where most kydex holsters retain the gun, mostly trigger guards and chamber cutouts. Doesn't seem to bother polymer frames, but a couple metal framed Sigs I have showed trigger guard wear pretty quick. But, a suede line duty holster I use at work has taken the finish off every contact point on my M&P. I guess there isn't much that can be done.

Just keep it in the box. It will wear less and look better in the classifieds.

:D

:eek:...... :s0140:

I'll make you a great deal!

Appreciate the offer, but my preference is the "bone stock" USGI version: no beaver tails, no Novak sights, vertical cuts only at the rear, no trigger jobs, no skeletal hammers, plain brown side USGI grip panels.... ;)

:eek:...... :s0140:

Appreciate the offer, but my preference is the "bone stock" USGI version: no beaver tails, no Novak sights, vertical cuts only at the rear, no trigger jobs, no skeletal hammers, plain brown side USGI grip panels.... ;)
WHAT?? you mean you dont like double stack 9mm, custom slide with a titanium nitride threaded barrel for suppressor, tall suppressor sights, magwell so flared it looks like a trumpet, accessory rail on the frame with a light/laser, 5oz trigger, a red dot AND frank castle punisher grips???

all this time ive had you all wrong.

:rolleyes::p:D;):eek::)o_Oo_O:oops::D:D

WHAT?? you mean you dont like double stack 9mm, custom slide with a titanium nitride threaded barrel for suppressor, tall suppressor sights, magwell so flared it looks like a trumpet, accessory rail on the frame with a light/laser, 5oz trigger, a red dot AND frank castle punisher grips???

All of you only THINK you know me... if you really did, I'd have to kill you.

It's in my contract. ;):D

Bwahahaha!

And you gotta be able to grate cheese with your slide and sand floors with your custom stipling!

I have used both kydex and leather holsters on guns with blued or a parkerized finishes...
I can't say for sure which is better or worse ...holster wear will happen.

Dirt and grit , in the holster , along with body sweat seem to cause more harm than the holster itself.
Andy

^^My experience as well.

Both will wear, how it wears and to what extent will vary depending style of holster and how it is used. A Kydex pancake style like the Raven Concealment Phantom and clones retain by form fitting relatively light over a large portion to the gun, gives a slight wear all over with a little more here and there. While taco style retain harder in one or two places like the trigger guard and/or the ejection port and touch very little of the rest of the gun, so it give more were just in those area and gives a larger contrast of wear vs untouched on the weapon. Then you got version that combine the two. Like wise with a leather heavily-boned holster such as Kramer, Sparks, etc you get a consistent wear over most of surface and with many vintage or cowboy rigs much of the finish is gone on the sides of the muzzle and front of the cylinder on revolvers. Leather holds dirt and retains moisture far worse than Kydex which obviously contribute to accelerated wear, while dirt and grit cleans or leaves Kydex easier, the rigid material grinds the dirt and grit while present into the finish harder.

Bottom line, if you actually use it expect wear from either material. That said I would venture to say if you don't use it or use it lightly, leather would be slightly milder overall assuming no exposure to dirt and humidity isn't a factor, which is why people with finely blued safe queens choose it for their "BBQ gun".

My :s0159: and worth what you paid for it.

Kydex is less flexible than leather. Kydex will cause finish wear at contact points more than smooth leather will.
Suede retains grit more than smooth leather or Kydex.

It also will depend on whether the holster was made by a craftsman, or someone going for a low price point.

Kydex has less bearing surface than leather so it will produce smaller wear spots/lines.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top