JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to intentionally rain on the parade, though acknowledging I'm doing so... you've got a whole effin bunch of current/potential projects going on all over the place and you might benefit from axing several of them before money is spent and spending bigger bucks on one single project to get an overall better result. I'm currently building an AR10 style rifle and "budget" is not a term I would use to describe them, even on the lower end of cost.
You speak the truth about my project ambitions and I just dropped $581 at Powder Valley. I am going back on a spending freeze soon (except for another short break around Black Friday). I might have to do a little selling before Black Friday.

Spending big bucks on one firearm or project isn't my style. I get bored easily and I have the attention span of a gnat. Maybe I should purchase some Ritalin with my next parts order:)

Hopefully 2022 will be the year I actually complete some projects instead of just buying stuff to do projects.

@P7M13 speaking of Ultramatch barrels, I did buy one of those in 224 Valkyrie from Rainier, it was on clearance and the price was much less than normal. Where is that barrel, still in the packaging of course:(

I decided on a Noreen billet lower, I ended up ordering two for the 10% discount. Total shipped cost was $181.68 for both. Now I need to find a good deal on a bolt catch and pins. Noreen has a kit with pivot and take down pins and bolt catch for $30 but I should be able to find some less.

Last Edited:
I decided on a Noreen billet lower, I ended up ordering two for the 10% discount. Total shipped cost was $181.68 for both. Now I need to find a good deal on a bolt catch and pins. Noreen has a kit with pivot and take down pins and bolt catch for $30 but I should be able to find some less.

Have you looked at Delta Team Tactical for uppers? Their sale price is listed for unassembled parts. I think the assembled uppers are $30 more. I only have a 7.62x39 upper from them but haven't had any issues. My upper is listed as Davidson Defense. Not sure if all their uppers are as well.

Have you looked at Delta Team Tactical for uppers? Their sale price is listed for unassembled parts. I think the assembled uppers are $30 more. I only have a 7.62x39 upper from them but haven't had any issues. My upper is listed as Davidson Defense. Not sure if all their uppers are as well.
I haven't lately but I will check them out again. I really want a side charging model so I will probably stick with Bear Creek for the upper. I am looking into the Devil Dog Hardcharger side charging conversion handle which would allow me to side charge any standard rear charging receiver. This 308 build is going to be set up for manual charging (disconnecting the gas system). That will allow me to save the brass, keep the upper cleaner and use hand loads that might not operate the gas system otherwise.

I don't mean to butt in, but I put together an Aero receiver with PSA kit AR 15. is it going to blow up on me????
In AR15 world your parts will work no problem.

In 308 world you may have issues but blowing up is not likely to occur. I initially was going to go with PSA 308 lower but read too many bad things about compatibility with other brand 308 uppers so I went with Noreen brand lower instead.

I don't mean to butt in, but I put together an Aero receiver with PSA kit AR 15. is it going to blow up on me????
Good God man, BE CAREFUL !!
Mechanical-prosthetic-finger_1.jpg

I found these lpk kits at midway for just under $28 each, I snagged two for free shipping and that will take care of both the Noreen lowers I ordered.

Now I am on the hunt for an 308 A2 style stock kit. I was going to buy only the rifle 308 buffer, rifle extension tub and 308 rifle spring separately and use an existing a2 stock I have on hand already. The price difference between those three components and a kit like the one listed below isn't much, so I figured I might as well get another stock in the deal. That way I don't have to mess around with swapping the stock back and forth between 308 and AR15 rifles.

I have read about a lot problems with bolt catch breakage on 308 AR rifles. Since I will be running my 308 as a manual loader I am thinking I won't have to worry too much about the bolt catch failing. And my brass should fall on the bench instead of being flung over towards the people shooting to the right of me.

I did this recently.
Started with a DPMS lower and a complete Aero M5 20" upper (I did change it to adjustable gas block).
Very few problems making it "match up".

DSCF4771.jpg DSCF4773.JPG

Last Edited:
I did this recently.
Started with a DPMS 80% lower and a complete Aero M5 20" upper (I did change it to adjustable gas block).
Very few problems making it "match up".

View attachment 1047924 View attachment 1047925

Wisest words in this thread.

A "budget" AR-10 is going to be nothing but a headache.
I see little reason the 308 ARs should cost a lot more than AR15s. There is not that much more material or labor that should go in to building one. I think Bear Creek does a good job with pricing as their 308 uppers are priced at around 30% more than their AR15 uppers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top