JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While I am taking a break from my firearm spending freeze, I am thinking about acquiring parts to assemble an AR10 based on first Gen DPMS components. What are your ideas for the least expensive options to do that right now? PSA has a stripped blem lower for $100 shipped today and BCA has complete 308 uppers for around $400. That would leave lpk and stock parts to complete it. Other suggestions?

I think PSA is the best value but Areo Precision is right behind it and a little nicer. Just don't mix the upper and lowers they don't quite match up even know they're dpms spec. It's not the same as the ar15 there is a specification or mill spec standard so parts from other manufacturers fit together.

The Gen 3 upper I linked to has an adjustable gas block. What barrel length did you go with?
Id 100% get that gen 3 adjustable gas block. My gen2 didnt come with one thus the gas issues until I slap one on there.
Went with an 18" barrel accuracy has been good (only 200 rounds pre covid) When I have more time Im taking it out this winter and getting quite a few more rounds thru it.

I love my PSA PA10 but if you go with PSA lower you limit what upper combinations you can use. Not saying only PSA uppers but I hear it's less than other companies. I have zero, as in no issues with my Gen 2 rifle. Shooting surplus, steel and standard brass ammo.

In my experience, messing around with AR-10/LR .308 isn't a poor man's game. If you get a quality, reliable rifle for an affordable price, you still have to feed it.

I think the areo Precision rifle's are pretty good deal

EC12FFE6-1B61-4390-9A42-59589E10E5A1.png

When I built mine I used AP upper and lower, AP BCA, and splurged a bit on a Rainier Ultramatch SS barrel (on sale). Shoots fantastic, better than I do. Not the cheapest path but my AP builds always seem to turn out great.

Attention Armalite AR10 style experts. If I go with this lower what's the least expensive way to build it? I have AR15 LPKs on hand already.

Armalite style upper receivers appear to be harder to find than the dpms varieties, any leads on a cheap one?

Attention Armalite AR10 style experts. If I go with this lower what's the least expensive way to build it? I have AR15 LPKs on hand already.

Armalite style upper receivers appear to be harder to find than the dpms varieties, any leads on a cheap one?
I am suspicious of blems in the white. If it didn't even make it to anodizing, why would I want to shoot it?
Armalite lowers are only compatible with Armalite designed uppers, and I have only seen Armalite on Armalite.
I have an Aero M5E LR308 class rifle, used to have a DPMS LR308.
I can put a DPMS upper on it, it fits and cycles just great. Same for an Aero upper on a DPMS lower. Depending on which Gen of Aero you have, the rail height may not match up.
I have tried to put a PSA PA-10 upper on the Aero lower. While you can get it to fit with some mechanical gymnastics (i.e. bolt compressed into the buffer tube), the bolt won't return to battery properly and it won't cycle. Maybe with a different bolt, but on a PSA upper, why bother.

{edit to add}
I have AR15 LPKs on hand already.
AR15 LPKs share some compatibility with AR10 lowers, but the bolt catch is different, and some of the pins are different. Easiest and cheapest to buy a kit specifically for AR10, for the brand of lower you have.

I am suspicious of blems in the white. If it didn't even make it to anodizing, why would I want to shoot it?
Armalite lowers are only compatible with Armalite designed uppers, and I have only seen Armalite on Armalite.
I have an Aero M5E LR308 class rifle, used to have a DPMS LR308.
I can put a DPMS upper on it, it fits and cycles just great. Same for an Aero upper on a DPMS lower. Depending on which Gen of Aero you have, the rail height may not match up.
I have tried to put a PSA PA-10 upper on the Aero lower. While you can get it to fit with some mechanical gymnastics (i.e. bolt compressed into the buffer tube), the bolt won't return to battery properly and it won't cycle. Maybe with a different bolt, but on a PSA upper, why bother.

{edit to add}

AR15 LPKs share some compatibility with AR10 lowers, but the bolt catch is different, and some of the pins are different. Easiest and cheapest to buy a kit specifically for AR10, for the brand of lower you have.
I have heard that the palmetto lower doesn't work with other brand dpms uppers. The M5 lowers are nice and would most likely allow me to mount a Bear Creek complete 308 upper which I can get for about $300. That is probably the way to go but the M5 lowers are expensive. If I could find a DB10 upper receiver for $50 bucks I would be tempted to try out the armalite type build.

I have heard that the palmetto lower doesn't work with other brand dpms uppers. The M5 lowers are nice and would most likely allow me to mount a Bear Creek complete 308 upper which I can get for about $300. That is probably the way to go but the M5 lowers are expensive. If I could find a DB10 upper receiver for $50 bucks I would be tempted to try out the armalite type build.
If you have access to a mill, carve out the rear bevel on the Armalite lower to match the curve on the DPMS. Win/win.
Personally, if I were going through the expense of a AR10 build, I would not go budget with the barrel. While the Bear Creek offering might be quality, that $300 could go to a Wilson Combat barrel. Besides, I'd want to do something in 243 Win or 260 Rem.
When I have time later this month, I'll head to Eugene to pick up the M5 set there and embark on that process again. Patience, bits and pieces at a time are how I keep the costs down. The last AR10 took me 6 months to acquire everything, I expect this one to take longer.

If you have access to a mill, carve out the rear bevel on the Armalite lower to match the curve on the DPMS. Win/win.
Personally, if I were going through the expense of a AR10 build, I would not go budget with the barrel. While the Bear Creek offering might be quality, that $300 could go to a Wilson Combat barrel. Besides, I'd want to do something in 243 Win or 260 Rem.
When I have time later this month, I'll head to Eugene to pick up the M5 set there and embark on that process again. Patience, bits and pieces at a time are how I keep the costs down. The last AR10 took me 6 months to acquire everything, I expect this one to take longer.
I seriously doubt I will ever spend $300 on a barrel. I'm an extreme cheapskate and I am willing to sacrifice moa performance to save money. I could pick up the complete M5 lower at Primary arms for about $300 and that would put me at about $600 total for complete upper and lower. It would kill me to spend $300 on a lower assembly though.

I seriously doubt I will ever spend $300 on a barrel. I'm an extreme cheapskate and I am willing to sacrifice moa performance to save money. I could pick up the complete M5 lower at Primary arms for about $300 and that would put me at about $600 total for complete upper and lower. It would kill me to spend $300 on a lower assembly though.
More power to you, brother!
I hear you on frugality (aka cheapskate)... When it comes to home improvement, I have always followed the adage, "I don't care what you can do with $100K, show me what you can do with $1,000."

Agreed. I learned the hard way (after starting with an AR15 LPK) that there are indeed, some subtle differences. Get an LPK that's appropriate for your lower, you'll save time and frustration.

In terms of frugality.....none of us like to spend more than we have to, but IMHO the barrel is something that you will always be glad you spent some extra money on. Yes, they may run more than $300 for a good one. My best AR's have Rainier Arms 'Ultramatch' or Ballistic Advantage barrels....and they are worth every dime. I've got a 14.5" 223 Wilde RA set up that is spooky accurate....love shooting that gun.

Good luck, and have fun..!!

Last Edited:
Not to intentionally rain on the parade, though acknowledging I'm doing so... you've got a whole effin bunch of current/potential projects going on all over the place and you might benefit from axing several of them before money is spent and spending bigger bucks on one single project to get an overall better result. I'm currently building an AR10 style rifle and "budget" is not a term I would use to describe them, even on the lower end of cost.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top