JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd do an aero lower and aero stripped upper, piece the rest together yourself. What I did. Though my rifles haven't been out to play since the great ammo depression...(shortage and 200% inflation in price per round) I still have plenty of ammo, but I'm holding onto it until I can replace what I use affordably. Price per round currently is just absurd. $1/rd for the cheap 7.62x51 ball, and over $2/rd for the SMK .308... I used to pay $0.90/rd for SMK and $0.45/rd for 7.62x51 ball. And when I say "used to" That was less than 2 years ago.

I'd do an aero lower and aero stripped upper, piece the rest together yourself. What I did. Though my rifles haven't been out to play since the great ammo depression...(shortage and 200% inflation in price per round) I still have plenty of ammo, but I'm holding onto it until I can replace what I use affordably. Price per round currently is just absurd. $1/rd for the cheap 7.62x51 ball, and over $2/rd for the SMK .308... I used to pay $0.90/rd for SMK and $0.45/rd for 7.62x51 ball. And when I say "used to" That was less than 2 years ago.
I already have Noreen lowers. I can get BA 20" 6.5 CM upper (no bcg/ch) for about $402 shipped. They are selling out quick. 308 uppers are already gone.

I already have Noreen lowers. I can get BA 20" 6.5 CM upper (no bcg/ch) for about $402 shipped. They are selling out quick. 308 uppers are already gone.
Why buy complete uppers? Are you afraid of assembling an upper? It's really not hard at all. You will need a vice, vice block, and torque wrench, but you can get 2 of the 3 at harbor freight pretty cheap, and a vice block from almost any online gun store. Not many parts you need...

Stripped upper, Stripped upper parts kit, barrel, gas tube and gas block (size of both determined by the barrel), muzzle device of your choosing and crush washer (unless you're going for a crowned barrel with no threads) and a hand guard of your choice which 90% of the time comes with the barrel nut. They're easier to assemble than a lower is. And of course a bolt carrier group and charging handle which sounds like you need to get either way.

I suggest shopping the veterans day and black Friday deals... good deals to be had. primary arms has 12% off site wide for the next couple days (SAVE12 = promo code)

Why buy complete uppers? Are you afraid of assembling an upper? It's really not hard at all. You will need a vice, vice block, and torque wrench, but you can get 2 of the 3 at harbor freight pretty cheap, and a vice block from almost any online gun store. Not many parts you need...

Stripped upper, Stripped upper parts kit, barrel, gas tube and gas block (size of both determined by the barrel), muzzle device of your choosing and crush washer (unless you're going for a crowned barrel with no threads) and a hand guard of your choice which 90% of the time comes with the barrel nut. They're easier to assemble than a lower is. And of course a bolt carrier group and charging handle which sounds like you need to get either way.

I suggest shopping the veterans day and black Friday deals... good deals to be had. primary arms has 12% off site wide for the next couple days (SAVE12 = promo code)
It's about economy. I don't believe I could purchase these parts separately for less than this price.

Quick questions. Has anybody used this barrel in a build

and has anybody used an Aero/BA upper on a Noreen or other DPMS type (not M5) lower?

I pulled the trigger on the "complete" 20 inch 6.5CM upper for $402 shipped. I will still need a muzzle device and a standard 308 charging handle. I am pretty sure i can utilize my BCA bcg in the BA upper if I remove the side charging handle. I will keep and eye out for a good deal on another bcg for the M5 upper.

If the M5 upper assy doesn't fit my Noreen lowers I will have to fork over another couple of hundred or so for an M5 lower plus an M5 lpk. I have read that there could be fitment issues with the M5 uppers on other brands of DPMS platform lowers.

It's about economy. I don't believe I could purchase these parts separately for less than this price.

$454.49 for complete upper DIY build with an aero precision stripped upper receiver, 20" straight fluted 416R .308 BCA barrel, stainless rifle length gas tube, VG6 gamma muzzle brake, aimsports handguard, aero dust cover and forward assist assembly, and a low profile gas block. Or if you take away the muzzle brake and go with a cheap birdcage like most complete uppers come with and end up being about $50 cheaper. ;)

I didn't include the bolt carrier or charging handle because the complete upper you mentioned didn't either. So to keep it apples to apples I excluded them. Most of an uppers cost will come from the bolt carrier group.

$454.49 for complete upper DIY build with an aero precision stripped upper receiver, 20" straight fluted 416R .308 BCA barrel, stainless rifle length gas tube, VG6 gamma muzzle brake, aimsports handguard, aero dust cover and forward assist assembly, and a low profile gas block. Or if you take away the muzzle brake and go with a cheap birdcage like most complete uppers come with and end up being about $50 cheaper. ;)

I didn't include the bolt carrier or charging handle because the complete upper you mentioned didn't either. So to keep it apples to apples I excluded them. Most of an uppers cost will come from the bolt carrier group.
Thanks for the tips. I already have a 308 BCA upper, I was looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor upper. The Ballistics Advantage Premium stainless barrel in the upper I bought should be an upgrade compared to my BCA barrel. Fingers crossed it fits my $90 Noreen lowers.

Last Edited:
The 22 inch 6.5 CM upper is back in stock for a few dollars more than the 20 inch version I ordered. I may contact them tomorrow and see if I can change the order.

Any leads on a cheap DPMS type 308 Bolt assy (no carrier, just the bolt)?

Edit: This one seems nice but about $112 with PA SAVE12 code. I was hoping for something half this price and one that comes with a firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retainer would be nice.

Last Edited:

Edit: This one seems nice but about $112 with PA SAVE12 code. I was hoping for something half this price and one that comes with a firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retainer would be nice.

This one looks nice too but the price.....

Beware, they may spec the right steels. Staking, heat treating, assembly and finish all have to be excellent too if you want to achieve excellent, reliable performance from your BCG. Some of these bolts aren't MPI rated.
I've had cheap bolts on AR15s. Broken extractor, broken bolt teeth. While the pricing is attractive, I use and intend on continual use of all my ARs on both platforms. The savings become a huge deficit once the failures start.

I received my replacement parts from BCA. The little threaded doohickey that plugs the charging handle hole threads almost all the way in but hangs up about a 1/16 of an inch shy. I think I will just stick a washer in between the o-ring and the part.

I test fit it with the stripped Noreen lower and it mates up well. It will be interesting to see how the Ballistics Advantage upper mates up to the Noreen lower but I went ahead and ordered an M5 lower anyways. The BA upper is a rear charging upper and does not come with a BCG or Charging Handle so I am going to try and swap the BCA BCG between the two uppers. The BCA side charging upper requires removal of the side charging handle to remove the BCG so that will be a little bit of a pain.

20211124_095309.jpg

20211124_095247.jpg

20211124_095218.jpg

20211124_095155.jpg

20211124_095126.jpg

20211124_095207.jpg

Beware, they may spec the right steels. Staking, heat treating, assembly and finish all have to be excellent too if you want to achieve excellent, reliable performance from your BCG. Some of these bolts aren't MPI rated.
I've had cheap bolts on AR15s. Broken extractor, broken bolt teeth. While the pricing is attractive, I use and intend on continual use of all my ARs on both platforms. The savings become a huge deficit once the failures start.
They have the NiB one for about the same price now.

Best deal I have found on Aero M5 LPK is at Primary Arms but shipping sucks.

If you are aware of a better deal or option for M5 LPK let me know. They showed shipping of about $11.50 to ship lpk plus 308 carbine buffer.

Best deal I have found on Aero M5 LPK is at Primary Arms but shipping sucks.

If you are aware of a better deal or option for M5 LPK let me know. They showed shipping of about $11.50 to ship lpk plus 308 carbine buffer.
Have you visited ORW lately?
Midway's LPKs were the least expensive when I bought mine, and they often have free shipping.
If you have a grip, I have a take-off FCG you can have. Save you some $$. The needed longer trigger pins will be in the LPK.
Edit, ORW also sells inexpensive grips.

Have you visited ORW lately?
Midway's LPKs were the least expensive when I bought mine, and they often have free shipping.
If you have a grip, I have a take-off FCG you can have. Save you some $$. The needed longer trigger pins will be in the LPK.
Thanks for grip offer but I have extra grips. I did want to buy a kit that has the trigger assy included and I wanted the Aero Kit as I understand the Aero M5 pins are longer than standard DPMS 308 pins? I will check Midway again but their selection seemed limited on Aero lpks for M5 lowers.

Wasn't offering a grip, was offering a take-off trigger assy.
M5 trigger pins are same as DPMS trigger pins.
My bad, SR/M5AR /trigger pins are same, provided your pin diameter is standard. It's take down pins that are different length.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top