Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lazik eye surgery, wish me luck

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by oldbrass, Feb 8, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

This probley isn`t a PREP topic but I guess it could be,If I lost or broke my glasses I`d be screwed.. having worn glasses for nearly 30 years I decided to get Lazik eye surgery.
    I`m getting the procedure done on the 18th of this month and I`ll post a full review of the results.

2. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

good luck . make sure you read up on it ahead of time rather than right before you have it done.

I had it done its great but not without complications .

I now need glasses for anything up close . did not before.

the flap stuck to my eyelid while i was asleep and when i opened my eye it was like pulling a scab off my eyeball i still see fine out of it just not as good as the other.

driving at night is more difficult

still have to ware glasses to shoot ( for safety no other reason) I would shooting open sighted is much better without glasses .

would i do it again yes but probably would have looked more into PRK . hurts more and takes more time to heal but no flap

3. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

Thanx eld, I did a lot of research and had quite a consultation during my evaluation

4. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

Good luck. I had it done last year and love it. Went from 20/800 or so to 20/15 in left and 20/30 in right...20/20 with both. Night vision did suffer a bit. same reasons as you...didn't want to get screwed if my glasses broke (or got knocked off!). Just follow your post-op instructions to the letter.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I find that i loose reading glasses all the time where i never lost my regular glasses as they were either on my face or my night stand.

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Good luck. I didn't have Lazik, but I had cataract surgery on both eyes several years ago. I had worn glasses for distance vision since I was 10 years old and now I have no trouble driving without glass, althought driving at night is troublesome. I do now wear reading glasses for some, but not all reading.

I was amazed that the prep time for the surgery took 4 times as long as the actual surgery. Sounds funny, but with they way I can see now the cataract surgery was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

7. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Good luck, you will be happy when it's over.

8. The Duck

The Duck Oregon Active Member

I did mine three years back, I had the PRK version of the surgery; After a lot of research, the longer healing time was well worth NOT having a weak flap!

The best choice I ever had to counter act the Zombies...

Note: 20/15 on both with zero night vision issues or any other side effect.

9. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I will say a prayer for you and to the doctor

10. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I went for Lasek, rather than Lasik. Recovery time was about 5 days and I was miserable, but no regrets. I went in with 20/400, came out 20/15.

11. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I had Lasik ten years ago and it was a great decision. My vision was about 20/350 pre-surgery. I am still about 20/30 now. I had very little discomfort at all. Just a few eyedrops that night, and the next day I was like new.
    The place was off 164th in Vancouver, toward Camas.

They did give me a choice - really good long vision and depth perception (I play tennis) or pretty decent vision and little need for reading glasses.

I chose the better long vision. That was before I got back into shooting sports. Now I wished I would have gone the other way because rear iron sights are fuzzy. That is why I gravitate toward optics and red dots now.

They left enough surface area for one more adjustment and at some point I'll get a tune up. Then I'll live with whatever is left until death.

12. eldbillbo

Had I knew more about PRK at the time i have went with that for sure.

13. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

The surgery itself is almost automatic. When they measure your eyes make sure you are comfortable that the
    operator is thorough and on the job. When mine were done the little t... mismeasured my right eye so I still wear
    glasses. All in all it is a great thing however, good luck.

14. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

so dumb question because I cant remember... when someone says 20/400 or 20/15 it means being able to see line 20 from 15 feet? or what is the actual meaning?

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

What Does 20/20 Vision Mean? - EyeCare Associates, Tyler, TX

20/400 means that someone with that vision can only read something 20' away that a 20/20 person can read at 400 feet away. In other words, it SUCKs.

Lasiks or other treatment is a huge +++++++ thing to do pre-SHTF when you may not always have access to contacts or glasses.

16. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Had it done 10 years ago and love it. Went in for an exam last year and still GTG, although I bought some reading glasses I use occassionally (45 yrs old). The doc said if I hadn't told him he would have never known I had the surgery. Quality work.

17. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

Beware! This is where it could all begin...a minor eye infection mutating into the first Zombie virus. :)

Botte Hork and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

My wife had Lasik 7 or 8 years ago and loves the results. She couldn't see much of anything without glasses or contacts. She hasn't needed to wear glasses for anything except threading a needle and I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees looking for a lost contact anymore.

The downside?

I really believe she can see inside my head now and I know for a fact she can see where I am looking.....

Roxy2711 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. skywag

skywag On the Columbia River Active Member

I love my Lazik. Best thing I've ever done.

Never had a single complication.

Lazik is so safe now that it is safer than wearing contacts.

20. Roxy2711

Roxy2711 Vancouver, WA Member

Good luck! I will be waiting to hear how it goes, I'm too chicken s*** to get it done myself and they wont let you do it with any liquid courage ;)