JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a few handguns that i have that I have been thinking about putting CT Lasers on... But for a price tag of about 300, im hesitant. I currently carry a G30, but I dont like the extra bulk in the grip a CT grip would give.. there is the laser max but still around 300...

I also have an M&P .45c that id like to get CT grips on tho...

But my question is... are the CT lasers really worth it?

For standard Daytime practice or shooting targets, probably no reason, since most lazers at 50' and beyond in daylite become hard to see. But in low lighting, or even at night an aimed , sighted lazer is very valuable. You point and shoot. Aiming at that time might be difficult and or you might just be nervous. They are a handy tool.. I like them alot. Practice with the lazer, and even a mirror in a long hallway, EMPTY GUN AND MAG AND DO A CENTER OF MASS SHOT (PRACTICE) AND THE MIRROR/lazer will make the gun your friend.

I thought they were a gimmick at first, then I bought one for the wife's .38 revolver. I see the value of a laser sight as you are looking at your target the entire time which would be natural in a stressful moment anyway. Granted, training can get you to the point where you instinctively focus on your front sight but with a laser you can still focus on your target. Identify the threat, move laser onto threat, press the trigger. Repeat as necessary. I have Crimson Trace lasers on a S&W 642, 386 and my Beretta M9. I also mount a light/laser combo on my shotgun. There are many other laser companies although for a handgun I like CT because there are no fine motor skill buttons you need to flip or press. Just grab the grip and its on. With finesse you can turn it on or off at will but with a firm grasp of your handgun it is on and telling you where your shot will go.

In a word: yes

Keeps your eyes on the target (so you can see the hands) and your peripheral vision in tact
15-20% faster target aquisition
Excellent training aid for holster draws
You have the potential to temporarily blind an agressor and give yourself an additional edge
Just like there is something sobering about hearing the rack of a shotgun I think that little dot on your chest has the potential to deescalate a situation.

Like a good holster I think CT grips are a worthwile investment.

Also helps that CT is a local company.

Crimson Trace is the way to go. Simple instinctive activation---grab and go. LONG battery life. BRIGHT laser dot. You can get them for much less than list price! Watch ads and websites specials, and FORGET CABELA'S. Sometimes Crimson Trace will have a booth at gunshows with REAL price specials. Sometimes they have demo days at shooting ranges with REAL price specials. Wait and watch.........................elsullo

I like them for belly/backup guns with no on/off switch (for up close use) as well as full size combat handguns with the on/off switch .. but my only real use for them on the latter is for firing round cover/concealment. For this they excel, allowing you to expose just one eye and the handgun, and get hits. My CT switch on my primary CCW is therefore normally off

I suppose if it were some night time zombie situation and I needed to make long range hits I might use it that way, too, but the tritium nite sights would more likely get used

Install tritium nite sights first, they are far more valuable and reliable

Lasers are cool but I wouldn't put one on my gun. it's just not my thing. I do like them for dry fire practice with beginners to show them how much their muzzle moves when they squeeze that trigger.

I disagree about not being able to see a laser in daylight. The red dot ones yes, but the green lasers (I forget the latest high-level rating) are a different beast. LaserMax makes a 200lumen/green laser combo for $150.00 that is a **** of a setup for HD. I agree with Kimber Custom's list, plus they are just plain fun. Because most of them are very weak in daylight, I'd never bother with a red laser though.

It was said(not sure if it is correct or not) that the DEA went to lasers and went from 20% to 80% first shot hits(in tactical TRAINING) after the laser was added. I have no experience personally but I could see the advantage as someone else mentioned to keep both eyes open and be focused on the target. But then do you focus on the laser instead of your sights? Could lead to bad habits?!

Good luck on your decision!

For those of us with less than perfect eye sight, I have to give a big thumbs up.
With CT grips on my S&W 13-2 I can now hit the broad side of a barn
without having to find my glasses first.
I pity the first barn that breaks into my house at night.

I thought they were a gimmick at first, then I bought one for the wife's .38 revolver...

Same here. I finally broke down and put one on my .38 snubbie. Figured I could always sell it at a decent price if I didn't like it. No way will I sell it. I love it. Besides adding to the accuracy it makes the gun a lot more fun to shoot. Can't really explain it, but I enjoy practicing with it where in the past I would always find a reason to shoot something else. I suppose it comes down to improved accuracy = more fun. It has become my primary carry gun now.

We can't us it at work, too much liabilities for a duty weapon. However my co-worker has it on a BUG 38 spl J frame, it works. Your speed is a bit quicker. A plus for a defense gun. As with anything training is first and then the added toys.

I have CT lasers on three weapons, They are great!
Try shooting from on your back or reaching around cover with your sights and you might rethink it. Email crimson trace they wil send you a free DVD that is very cool......It will help you make up your mind!:s0155:

I have CT on my glock and love it. At first I was worried if the added thickness would be a problem but I don't really notice it. I had a houge hand-all on it before and it added about the same amount of girth as the CT.
They are a local company and have excellent customer service so that's a big plus in my book.

The green lasers seem much better for daytime use.
My Dad emailed CT a while back to see if they have plans to make a green laser and here is the reply:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding laser colors.

Laser "beam" output is available in a variety of wave lengths. The wavelength determines the color of the beam in the visible light spectrum. The color spectrum ranges from infrared at one end (above 800 nm) down through the visible light spectrum: red at 670 nm, orange at 635 nm, green at approximately 550nm to blue and finally ultraviolet.

The green lasers you are hearing about utilize a DOUBLER CHIP mounted in front of an infrared laser diode which cuts the wavelength in half in order to reach the green spectrum. The problem with these devices is that the DOUBLER CHIP operates at around 10% efficiency meaning that 10 times as much power is required in order to get an equal output beam. High power input means high heat, which is the primary enemy of laser diodes.

In a nut shell, I cannot confirm if Crimson Trace will choose to graduate to green lasers nor can I provide a timeline for that transition if it should ever happen.

Please check out our website Crimson Trace | Laser Sight Grips for Guns for all new information and updates regarding all of our Lasergrips.

It seems like green lasers are much more expensive than red. I don't know if they cost more to make or if it's just the "new" factor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top