JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not one for fast draw - for one thing, I was born clumsy with slow reflexes (at least partially due to Aspergers). I tend more towards protecting my handguns from damage by brush or falling/etc. when out in the woods - so my holsters tend more towards retention/protection, with at least a thumb break/strap of some sort, and often a flap. I am also concerned with loss of the handgun altogether. I have been looking at lanyards, but I prefer to minimize the chance of the lanyard catching on brush, so I have been looking at lanyards that are elastic:

Thoughts?

Experience?

I seen a few officers with it in their drop legs with the M9 while on deployment but it wasn't as common. Think at most maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10 or so.

Just another thing to train around I suppose. My experience with strings and other attachments is they tend to get caught on things.

Interesting...I am not sure exactly what your idea is, but I would certainly consider use while transporting although I'd disconnect it when using the gun. If in a situation where you might need a quick draw, I'd also feel like it would be a hindrance. If the lanyard got fouled in the slide action it could ruin your day. But definitely if you're thinking just something to keep the firearm from falling out without your knowledge, seems like a winner.

They mostly put them on pistols when officers rode horseback... I'd worry more it getting in the way of a proper grip than dropping my gun how I expect to use it.
Might come in handy if you were getting mauled by a bear, or something...
I believe there is a reason beyond fabrication and expense as to why most all militaries and police dropped the use of a lanyard.

Interesting...I am not sure exactly what your idea is, but I would certainly consider use while transporting although I'd disconnect it when using the gun. If in a situation where you might need a quick draw, I'd also feel like it would be a hindrance. If the lanyard got fouled in the slide action it could ruin your day. But definitely if you're thinking just something to keep the firearm from falling out without your knowledge, seems like a winner.

Typically lanyards attach to the bottom of the grip, so less likely to foul a semi slide IMO.

I am also thinking beyond losing a handgun or knife while in a holster/scabbard, if I am attacked at close quarters a lanyard might keep the handgun within reach should I lose my grip on it.

Hate to continually use the example of back in the Army, but...

Aircrews wore their revolvers in a flight vest with an attached holster, or in a separate shoulder holster. Our revolvers had lanyard rings, and we were expected to use them. Although holsters were an issued item, the lanyards were not. So, we "made" a lanyard out of para cord when it was available, or out of boot laces when we had nothing better. And lanyards were never a hindrance.

When you get that figured out, here's a project for next winter:
1616026011809.png :rolleyes:

An elastic lanyard could turn your handgun into a yoyo! You could tour gun shops doing demonstrations!

An elastic lanyard could turn your handgun into a yoyo! You could tour gun shops doing demonstrations!

I am leaning towards the elastic lanyards. Even if I only use them for special circumstances (water, snow, etc.) it would probably be worth it.

Googling around found discussions on other forums. One poster suggested placement/arrangements for lanyards to reduce the chance of getting tangled in brush.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top