JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dropped a gp100 into deep snow , it was 16 degrees out, my belt parted due to the tree stand I was resting on it. Revolver froze up solid, I could not get any parts to move at all. Banged it firmly on a tree several times. I started looking for a holster with a flap after that. Too bad that leather is useless though if wading in the River. I wonder, are the lanyards attached to say my fishing vest? Gp100 does not have a lanyard ring, but I am sure someone makes something for it.

When I visited Singapore multiple times over the years the Singapore police had lanyards for securing their revolver. Not sure now since my last trip was back in 2011. They were part of the British empire as well and may have upgraded to semiautomatic pistols now.

In the early days of the 1911, not only did the gun itself have a lanyard loop, but the magazines also, this was for cavalry use.
My old Colt New Service, (an RCMP gun in .455 Eley,) had a lanyard loop,, hey, maybe it was used by Sargent Preston of the Yukon,, :).

I have a couple of the surplus Gemtech issued lanyards. I've tried them a few times and there not bad. Would take some getting used to but think for woods/hiking they would be worth having!

Hate to continually use the example of back in the Army, but...

Aircrews wore their revolvers in a flight vest with an attached holster, or in a separate shoulder holster. Our revolvers had lanyard rings, and we were expected to use them. Although holsters were an issued item, the lanyards were not. So, we "made" a lanyard out of para cord when it was available, or out of boot laces when we had nothing better. And lanyards were never a hindrance.

We used lanyards on our 1911's and M9's. We also used paracord tethers on our knives, lensatic compasses, and any other mission/combat critical items clipped onto our battle-rattle that wasn't in a pack or ruck.

Was never an issue in the jungles...

69ECAC06-173F-4675-8D48-ED5EF26DB1FF.jpeg

I dropped a gp100 into deep snow , it was 16 degrees out, my belt parted due to the tree stand I was resting on it. Revolver froze up solid, I could not get any parts to move at all. Banged it firmly on a tree several times. I started looking for a holster with a flap after that. Too bad that leather is useless though if wading in the River. I wonder, are the lanyards attached to say my fishing vest? Gp100 does not have a lanyard ring, but I am sure someone makes something for it.
Bowen Classic Arms has lanyard rings that look pretty nice.

When I visited Singapore multiple times over the years the Singapore police had lanyards for securing their revolver. Not sure now since my last trip was back in 2011. They were part of the British empire as well and may have upgraded to semiautomatic pistols now.
Tokyo Police had revolvers with lanyards back in 2018, just sayin'...

Bowen Classic Arms has lanyard rings that look pretty nice.
Thanks! I ordered one up. (Edit )Or maybe not, got a text message from my bank, for an INC, for .54 cents right away. As that was not the website Bowen classic arms, it got flagged as fraudulent, so my guess is they have their website setup wierd or it was compromised. Bank sending me a new card. Bummer, that Lanyard ring looked promising.

Last Edited:
My thinking about lanyards being used by European and Asian police departments is this. Reduces chances of a successful grab and run by a bad guy. There is also the issue of losing a sidearm while in chase mode. American police administrators must not agree.

A number of German military pistol designs used in WW2 had provisions for lanyards. Such as all those P.08 Luger, Walther P.38, VIS P.35, others. Yet combat pictures showing soldiers equipped with pistols practically never show a lanyard in use and originals from the war are rare.

Strangely enough, the German occupation-made Belgian Hi-Power didn't originally have provision for a lanyard (some are seen but were added by the French after the war), yet the Canadian Inglis had one. British sidearms usually had lanyard rings, even the Smith & Wesson .38/200 revolvers. There are many pictures showing British soldiers using lanyards.

Different strokes for different folks.

My thinking about lanyards being used by European and Asian police departments is this. Reduces chances of a successful grab and run by a bad guy. There is also the issue of losing a sidearm while in chase mode. American police administrators must not agree.

A number of German military pistol designs used in WW2 had provisions for lanyards. Such as all those P.08 Luger, Walther P.38, VIS P.35, others. Yet combat pictures showing soldiers equipped with pistols practically never show a lanyard in use and originals from the war are rare.

Strangely enough, the German occupation-made Belgian Hi-Power didn't originally have provision for a lanyard (some are seen but were added by the French after the war), yet the Canadian Inglis had one. British sidearms usually had lanyard rings, even the Smith & Wesson .38/200 revolvers. There are many pictures showing British soldiers using lanyards.

Different strokes for different folks.
Clint Smith is an advocate of lanyard rings, that is good enough for me.

Thanks! I ordered one up. (Edit )Or maybe not, got a text message from my bank, for an INC, for .54 cents right away. As that was not the website Bowen classic arms, it got flagged as fraudulent, so my guess is they have their website setup wierd or it was compromised. Bank sending me a new card. Bummer, that Lanyard ring looked promising.
Weird. I hadn't ordered one yet was planning on it...

I have some scratches on the trigger guard of my 329. I am going to ask Velzey to repair them and add a lanyard to the butt.

Something for your consideration, no gunsmithing required.

I used one on my former 629 5". I can't remember the specific brand lanyard I used, I believe it was one of the tactical-ted brands like SpecOps or some such thing.

I never once had it snag on anything in the woods, but I'm also the type that pays attention to WTF I'm doing.

The carabiner /snaplock thingy on the lanyards is a big heavy steel thing. I am going to replace it with a lighter smaller snap lock and use the steel ones for other purposes where its strength is needed. I do like the elastic portion of these - just right, so far. I think though I could get a lighter weight lanyard - these are made for 15# tools, not 2# handguns or 1# knives.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top