JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't reload because I don't know how to.

I'd rather not read some Internet guide on how to reload, and I'd honestly be slightly off-put firing my first reload round for fear of safety.

But if someone I trusted was willing to show me the ropes, I'd do it. Saves money, why not.

I think most here learned without a mentor or even the internet. The first thing you should do, if you want to reload in the long run, is to get a good reloading manual or two.. complete with load data. I think I started with a Sierra manual but I forget.
Lyman's current 49th edition is also a very good resource.

I think most here learned without a mentor or even the internet. The first thing you should do, if you want to reload in the long run, is to get a good reloading manual or two.. complete with load data. I think I started with a Sierra manual but I forget.
Lyman's current 49th edition is also a very good resource.

Are you referring to one of those "Book" thingys? Do they come with instructions or is there a "App for that"?

Older thread but I didn't see my reasons for reloading so I'll add my two cents worth. I don't reload to save money or to improve my loads or the performance of my firearms. I reload because I enjoy the whole process; everything from cleaning the brass to wiping down the finished rounds as I load them into a plastic storage box. I still use the same single stage press that I've had since 1985 and can crank out a whopping 100 rounds per hour when I want to. Reloading requires concentration to be done safely and when I'm at my bench I can close out the rest of the world for hours and relax and unwind. All the reasons that I don't reload are just nice side effects.

I started reloading to save money. Now, i shoot so much its costing me more money to shoot. Plus, not to mention gas to get to my favorite shooting spot, and, chasing down powder and bullets, so i have to give up reloading:)

NOT, i just thought someone might have said this at one time or another. :)

I've heard plenty of times "I don't have a house.. I just rent an apartment" and then of course "I have children!".
Heck, I used to load on the trail in Montana while out on long horse trips and then about the children, those tiny little child fingers make loading .25acp a snap! lol

Ha,ha, one time i broke the cardinal rule of reloading, never have kids around, i had my daughter pulling the handle on my old herters press. We were putting the bullet in the case, she got a little too fast for me, and about CUT MY FINGER off, well the first half of it. She caught me putting the bullet in, and came down with the handle. I was just that far from getting a big chunk of finger taken off. That was her last time with Dad, and her reloading. :)

"It's so expensive to get starter" or "it's a lot of work and my time is worth more than the savings in ammo" these are usually people that might shoot a total of 500 rounds a year.
500 rounds a year? I could shoot that much 9mm in a day at the range, especially if it was 147 gr. My suppressed sub gun likes that round.

Ha! My right hand is all all about production, and doesn't really care if my left hand is bumbling! More than once I've crushed my own fingers!

Yep, that dumb!

Ha,ha, one time i broke the cardinal rule of reloading, never have kids around, i had my daughter pulling the handle on my old herters press. We were putting the bullet in the case, she got a little too fast for me, and about CUT MY FINGER off, well the first half of it. She caught me putting the bullet in, and came down with the handle. I was just that far from getting a big chunk of finger taken off. That was her last time with Dad, and her reloading. :)

"I don't have a house.. I just rent an apartment"
I once clamped a 2 x 6 on the rear and front of a dining room table to create a temporary 'mount' for a press in an incredibly small house I was living in temporarily in Oklahoma. I also once reloaded on an old desk in a storage room I was renting while between houses.

I once clamped a 2 x 6 on the rear and front of a dining room table to create a temporary 'mount' for a press in an incredibly small house I was living in temporarily in Oklahoma. I also once reloaded on an old desk in a storage room I was renting while between houses.

I mounted a RCBS press to a small piece of plywood about a foot wider than the press, then removed a leaf from a dining table leaving just enough space for the press to clear. I held it in place with c-clamps using pieces of wood to protect the underside of the table, the top of the clamp engaging the plywood.

That's the rig I learned to reload from. I was also 12 years old and learned everything I needed from a Speer manual. It really started out by me being curious and wanted to help out by converting some 30-06 brass to 6.5x55 for my Dad's hunting rifle. The I thought I'd prime them, then one thing led to another and I wound up finishing up the loads. Dad kept an eye on me, of course, but I did it all myself, and got hooked. For those of you that feel a bit intimidated, it isn't rocket science.

I like reloading/handloading because it lets me be fully engaged in the process from beginning to end. When I shoot a bullet I've put time and effort into I take my time to make sure the shot is right before I squeeze that trigger.

Been reloading for many years and often enjoy when they ask me at the range if I would like to buy some of their "over priced" ammo. I started reloading 357 Sig recently and this stuff is hard to fine and very expensive. I had 200 rounds I reloaded in my bag as I walked into the range. I asked the guy if he had any 357 Sig. $40.00 for 50! Wow, for once my enjoyable hobby became at least a little bit profitable. I know it did not cost me $160 to reload 200 rounds. Although reloading is time consuming, I never reload when I have something more important to do. That is the definition of a hobby is it not? I shot a few factory rounds I took with me and I still think my reloads shoot just as well and possibly better than the factory rounds.
The only problem is finding the time to shoot as fast as I reload. Once it was the other way around. I really need to find an outdoor place to shoot.

I reload for the therapy it gives me along with the savings. I really enjoy shooting my M1 Garand and finding ammo that is safe to shoot in it can sometimes be a pain, and when you can it's not cheap! Surplus is okay, but finding it is getting harder and harder these days!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top