JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My semi auto rifle maintenance manual sez, never shoot reloads because the barrel tolerances on my rifle are to tight…..several of my shooting buddies reload.. but when we go shooting, they spend a good part of there time clearing jams, from shooting there reloads.(primers falling out, neck length to long, neck expanded not resized.).:(
OK bring on the haters,,, i have wide shoulders……………………….

My semi auto rifle maintenance manual sez, never shoot reloads because the barrel tolerances on my rifle are to tight…..several of my shooting buddies reload.. but when we go shooting, they spend a good part of there time clearing jams, from shooting there reloads.(primers falling out, neck length to long, neck expanded not resized.).:(

Just tell 'em to wrap everything in duct tape - that's what I do. Works every time.

I think all manuals say no to reloads. It sounds like your buddies need to brush up on the basics.

My semi auto rifle maintenance manual sez, never shoot reloads because the barrel tolerances on my rifle are to tight
This doesn't make sense - the mfg. of the rifle does not 'custom make' ammo to specifically fit their barrel. All component bullets vary in diameter slightly but are typically well within safe diameters for shooting in any gun. Ditto on your buddies reloads. The problems you describe:
(primers falling out, neck length to long, neck expanded not resized.).
Could very well border on dangerous.

My o rifle maintenance manual sez, never shoot reloads because the barrel tolerances on my rifle are to tight…..several of my shooting buddies reload.. but when we go shooting, they spend a good part of there time clearing jams, from shooting there reloads.(primers falling out, neck length to long, neck expanded not resized.).:(
Several of your buddies need to go back and read a reloading manual then do as it says.

Several of your buddies need to go back and read a reloading manual then do as it says.

Even as a 12 year old I didn't experience any of those types of issues, and have never had any type of failure. Attention to detail is critical when loading ammunition. No TV, cats, dogs, wives, or other distractions. Periodically recheck your work. For semi auto's full length resizing dies only as a start as is putting in the time to work up a load that cycles reliability. Get the right tools, not necessarily the most expensive tools and keep them properly maintained.

Funny coincidence, I was over at Dad's tidying up the garage after a project and found that plywood rig I used for my first press.

Even as a 12 year old I didn't experience any of those types of issues
Neither did I, at any age and if I did encounter something that did not seem right I stopped and corrected the problem long before the round was fired. Most reloading problems experienced when shooting could have been corrected at the loading bench. What I am reading into this is they are reloading hurriedly and not spot checking rounds by chambering and cycling them (along with other issues)

Last Edited:
I have had a few 1911's in 45 but the Kimbers that I have had have been a real pain to reload for due to the tight chambers. I have not had any problems with my other 1911's including my Gold Cup, RIA and Essex custom.

Last two guns that gave me reloading issues were my Kel Tec Sub 2000 (needed heavier loads for proper functioning) and my CZ 75 BD due to it's tight chamber as well. The KT is gone and the CZ is shooting fine!

I have learned one valuable lesson about reloading hunting rifles - make sure you cycle the ammo through the gun before you take it hunting. Getting a bad cartridge stuck in a rifle when you really need that shot can be a real troublesome.

Never hurts to check, but if you sized and trimmed each case properly, and each round uses the same bullet set to the same depth, each round will cycle exactly the same. If you skip steps then you take your chances.

I'll never tell you not to cycle your ammo, but I've also never had a failure to feed or any other type of failure for that matter. It's not luck, I'm just very detail oriented, make no compromises, cut no corners and do routine QC.

If your ammo don't fit in your gun and the primers are falling out, you are doing it wrong. lol
A lot of high power match shooters only get one reload out of each case as they hotrod the heck out of them.. hey, it's competition.. most all race cars and bikes are toast and need to be rebuilt after every run/race.

I will admit part fault to why I don't trust my reloads and that is that I have multiple rifles in the same cartridge - when I pick my brass up they go into the same bag at the range. That in itself makes me verify / check my reloads.

Here is my excuses.

1) I don't have time (or more precisely I have very little free time and I don't want to spend it sitting at a bench pulling a handle)

I have loaded in the past but purely for competition shooting and practice. When I was I had time to do it and found it enjoyable. Most all of what shooting I do these days is really no more than plinking, cheap factory ammo is more than sufficient. If I bought another .50 BMG I would probably buy a setup and load for it simply because long reach accuracy is pretty much the entire reason Id own it.

I own a business, sadly part of that means it really owns me. For the last 10 years I have not had the luxury of "hobbies" I am really lucky if once or twice a month I can skip out and spend a few hours doing something that is not part of running the shop. The truth is money is far more easy to come by than time. I have thought several times in the last 5 years that I would set up again to reload but I know that most likely would would happen is I would spend a pile of money on equipment that would stay in the boxes on the shelf. I often miss the days of having job where I was on the clock for 40-50 hours a week and could walk away from that and actually could do something purely for the sake of doing it. Those days are long gone. These days I spend 65-75 hours a week physically at the shop and when I am not there I am doing paperwork, running around doing bids and call backs and everything else it takes to keep the doors open.

You can think thats a cop out, an excuse or what ever. The truth is it is simply not a practical use of my time. I have months worth of work backed up that pays $105/hr. Not doing it so I can load rounds to plink with would be flat out irresponsible. Maybe someday I'll be successful enough that I don't have to be involved with and babysit the shop, or maybe I'll close the doors. Or maybe I'll get serious enough about shooting there is a real reason why hand-loads would be beneficial. If I had a paycheck job and free time one of the things Id like to do is re-establish a loading bench, there are a lot of those things I wish I could do though and hand loading is not even close to the top of that list.

Not exactly a lame excuse in my book... I get it - I have had extended periods of time due to work needs where I didn't even get to shoot let alone reload.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top