JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this type of thread goes in this sub forum. Mods please move if necessary.

I was laid off last Friday unfortunately. I'm looking for a new job/career now. Hoping for something more permanent than some kind of retail, gas station attendant etc etc. I have almost 5 years experience at working the front desk and night audit for a hotel. And for the last 6 years I've worked at manufacturing hunting packs, kill bags for fish and many other assorted outdoor gear and some tactical gear.

I'm hoping someone close to Forest Grove has a lead on a good opportunity. I have my own transportation and consider myself a reliable hard worker.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hard to like this post as it really sucks being laid off in this economy! Best wishes and thoughts to you and hope something will come along soon! Gas being what it is now, I know running around to do a lot of searching will hit the ole pocket book pretty quickly. Sorry I can't help you in finding something but, again, here's to something coming your way quickly!:)

If I was starting over and wanted a new long term career, I'd get into the trades. Someone that can pass a drug test and shows up every day can do well.

If I was looking for something more temporary, I know drivers are in short supply. CDL drivers especially. Truck drivers, Bus drivers, Tow truck drivers etc.

Fred Meyer's is always hiring... I know you said better than retail, but it's consistent (not sure if that's good or bad) most of the people I work with have been in for years. Myself going on 3 years in produce, mostly freight. Top pay for my department is $19.85/hr with annual $1 raises on contract for the next 2 years. After that, union negotiations determine the raises that go into the next contract. If you want to move up, they're looking desperately for produce managers, but are not union positions. Lots of other departments and positions within the workings of retail. I think grocery freight has same pay scale... I hope you find something close to home.

Not sure if this type of thread goes in this sub forum. Mods please move if necessary.

I was laid off last Friday unfortunately. I'm looking for a new job/career now. Hoping for something more permanent than some kind of retail, gas station attendant etc etc. I have almost 5 years experience at working the front desk and night audit for a hotel. And for the last 6 years I've worked at manufacturing hunting packs, kill bags for fish and many other assorted outdoor gear and some tactical gear.

I'm hoping someone close to Forest Grove has a lead on a good opportunity. I have my own transportation and consider myself a reliable hard worker.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Leupold is just down the street from you and seems to always be hiring. If you want to make great money and don't mind putting in the effort, get your CDL with a hazmat cert. You will be home every night if you want and making a six figure income. A lot of great jobs out there which are paying excellent wages. Utilities are always a great and stable place of employment, i.e. PGE, NW Natural, etc....

Leupold isn't exactly just down the street unfortunately. I was actually looking at their employment ad earlier. Their pay is only 16$ an hour. With a 40 mile round trip for me it's just not worth it. If i was local to them in Beaverton it would be tempting.

Leupold isn't exactly just down the street unfortunately. I was actually looking at their employment ad earlier. Their pay is only 16$ an hour. With a 40 mile round trip for me it's just not worth it. If i was local to them in Beaverton it would be tempting.
Starting pay is always negotiable. Determine what your hourly pay requirement would be, interview and if you get offered a job or during the interview process, let them know what your hourly pay requirement is. Someone who is a hard worker and shows up on time is a rare commodity in the labor market these days and there is nothing wrong with demanding pay commensurate with those traits. You also have to consider the ceiling of your employer. A company like Leupold offers a lot of upward mobility as your skills and tenure grow, allowing you to make a career for yourself.

While I am singling out Leupold, this is pertinent and should be part of your considerations on any employment choice.

To bad your that far. My place of employment is always hiring. Only starts at $17hr but most jobs top out at around $30-$33hr...some higher some a little lower. Albany would be quite the commute though.

The Ferry system is begging for people ever since Inslee fired 20% of the fleet.

Decent enough job if you can put up with all the bureaucracy. You can work into a $100k a year licensed position in a bout 10 years if you're willing to put in the work.

Give them a call and they will tell you all the hoops you need to jump through to get your documents. There's a bunch of training academies out ther as well that will get you in the door as an intern, but they're kind of a waste of money if ask me.

Right off the bat I'd suggest finding a company that'll pay you to get your CDL. If that interests you.
Trades are in demand.
You also have the tech corridor near you.
If you need a gig job to keep you busy for a minute look at ubereats and doordash.

I'd check into any state funded vocational training or funding for folks that have been laid off.

Sorry to hear about the job loss. I've been through it more times than I care to have been. Keep your initiative and motivation high. Don't lower your expectations just to be employed. And don't discount your value.

That would be a bit of a commute with the price of gas now.:(
The CDL is still a good thing to look into. You may be able to get a loan to do the school while you collect UE. As long as you can pass a drug test they are screaming for drivers. A couple people who worked with me did this. When the job market went tight due to people being paid to stay home it got bad. Then it got worse as so many places made Pot legal. Still have to pee clean for the Federal License. There are a LOT of places trying to find drivers due to this.

Last Edited:
If you have the purchasing ability for a box truck and can find a company that is running hotshot loads. You could make a decent living. Stick to the I5 corridor.

Sign up as a Material Handler for IBEW 48 in Portland. There is a TON of work around your area, and it gets your foot in the door for a trade. Starts at $16.16, and pay raises kick in after 450 hours going up to $30 and change after 4 years.

Most of the data centers/Intel are offering extra incentives, including free lunch and an extra $5 an hour.

Intel and Intel sub-contractors are always a good choice too.
Can attest to this. I left the automotive industry for the semi-conductor industry and don't plan on going back. Good pay (even better if you work nights), provided benefits, stock options, 401k. I only have a high school dipolma and experience turning wrenches and I got hired into maintenance technician role. I maintain the machinery the fab runs on. The pay starts in the upper 20s with work provided cell and laptop. The downside is that we work a compressed work schedule (I work 6pm-6:30am, Sunday- Tuesday with every other Saturday). It's good foot in the door too, I plan on transferring to a fab position in a couple years.

Driving. Best career field I've found. The absolute best jobs I've had were in transportation. If you Can find a line haul of some sort that's some of the easiest work and personally freeing work in existence. Having a CDL definitely helps find work in this field but is not required. Tons of jobs in transportation. No bosses over your shoulder, nothing can be done about traffic and no company will be upset about timelines, if they do it's very easy to find i another. The job may seem monotonous, it certainly can appear like that as you might be doing the same thing everyday, but you really aren't as every time you get into the vehicle the drivers on the road are completely different. One day you might have zero traffic, the next a four car pile up. Hours can be long at times though, but if you are hourly that only means overtime.

Best wishes!

I need a driver with cdl, hazmat, and tanker. Also will need to replace QC and packer for ammo biz.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top