Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kroil Penetrating Oil

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Burt Gummer, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

First time using this stuff. I usually clean small parts in a plastic bin over a plastic sheet. This stuff ate right through the bin in about 20 minutes, then through the plastic sheet. Acted more like acid. Turned the black plastic to putty.

Still didn't get all the lead residue off my Sparrow suppressor clamshells though. May need to use a vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide dip now, although I don't want to deal with a toxic brew.

Kroil must be great at getting metal parts to break loose, it sure does penetrate. Will use a glass container from now on. At least I placed it outdoors due to the smell and not on my workbench.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

That is exactly what it does, and does it well. My Dad's been rebuilding an engine for our International Travelette (Crew cab pickup). The truck came from California and before we got it the engine froze and blew all of the freeze plugs. Everything in it and on it was rusted together. He bought a can of AeroKroil at the local shop on the owner recommendation, and he's never going back. Worked like a charm to get all the rusted bolts apart. It's a staple now in the garage.

I am interested in what plastic in ate through, do you have the number off the bottom?

Spitpatch and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

No numbers or writing on it, I looked. Kroil seems to eat plastic though. I put a little in a plastic cup, same thing. It was outdoors in the sun though, which probably made the destruction more likely with the heat.

Fine by me. I was looking for something 'tough' :)

4. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Burt!!!! I have used Kroil oil for Decades, never seen it eat plastic!

I was a Tools & Equipment Repairman, for a Major Floor Installing compay, four crews, i gave each crew a one ounce bottle, with a flip top spout, for their tool oiling nees, never ate that plastic.

I KEEP Kroil Oil, in a Hypodermic, with a hand made "Point" made of brass tubing... The hypo has been filled for years, one DROP @ a time accuracy was my thinking in that...

I always had a stainless steel parts pan, to keep parts in on the bench, so I can not speak on ~All Plastics~ but the stuff Eye Drop bottles are made of is Good to Go, I GIVE The stuff away, seeing as I BOUGHT it in larger quantities, One Gallon, three times a year, when I worked as above!

Now, I buy it buy the Pint, but my tool box STILL HAS an Eye Drop Bottle full of Kroil, The finest penetrating Oil in the WORLD!

philip,

Kroil in my Life, since 1987 ...

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Love Kroil too. The best penetrating oil I've found.

6. Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt Pacific NW Active Member

Been a Millwright for the last 20 yrs.. couldn't do without it..

7. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Burt, instead of using the Dip, you might consider either an ultrasonic cleaner or, if you have a compressor, a homemade soda blaster.

8. moncon

moncon willamette valley oregon Member

Where can I pick some up?

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Order direct from Kano Laboratories.

1-800-311-3374

10. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Aero Kroil is the best. Fastenal and Tacoma Screw Products carry it, I believe. We used it to break free 113 year old metal train parts, like 70 foot truss rods with 1 inch and 1/4 diameter threaded turn buckles. It is the best for breaking stuff free, better than heat, 3 in 1, Miracle Oil, WD 40 or anything else you can think of using short using of dyyyyynoooooomiiiiiiiite!!!!!!! as JJ used to say.

Brutus Out

11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Works best if you let it sit and penetrate overnight.

12. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Kroil Rocks! I've never seen it eat plastic, either though.
    My dad never stole anything ever....but nobody in town carried Kroil, and a can or two might have accidentally fallen in his lunchbox at work over the years..
    My son and I are also building a Travellette, slowly, and a can of Kroil that fell out of MY lunchbox is sitting on the bumper..

13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Moses Lake, WA Active Member

I have used Kroil for years and have had no problems with it eating through any of the plastic containers I've used to hold it. Then again, I don't use any plastic but that intended to hold oil, so that might make a difference. The plastic used in cooking utensils is not intended for such chemicals as found in Kroil.

Pops

14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I've used JP penetrating oil and it is highly acidic as well, it will etch soft metals, does a great job

15. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

16. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Put me down as another Kroil fan! Could not have fixed up many vehicles without it. Makes for great BD and Christmas presents too, for guys in the know! Almost better than receiving alcohol. :laugh:

17. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

For penetrating oil a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF was the best in an article I read some time back. Haven't tried it yet.

18. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Works great as after shave. Smells pretty good and attacts the right type of woman.

I also use it to flush the solvent out of my barrels after I brush them with Butches Bore Shine. Does a great job finishing the cleaning process and protects the barrel from rust.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I swear by Kroil... to eat rust fast

20. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

I love Kroil but dont put in styrofoam either.