JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Penetration is a critical aspect of terminal performance. As the great African professional hunter and gunwriter Finn Aagaard once wrote, "Killing power is a matter of biology, not math and physics, and is influenced almost totally by shot placement, accompanied by sufficient penetration."

Aagard was partially right , hemorrhaging is what ultimately kills from a gun shot . However a bullet with good terminal performance makes things hemorrhage much faster . Note that good terminal performance doesn't necessarily mean great penetration .

67130348.jpg

You said penetration...

I have often said sectional density is an important factor with regards to penetration of any material (although wood would not be my first choice for testing) - but especially for hard matter, like bones and cartilage.

Bullet diameter doesn't matter much IMO - the difference between a .44 (.43 actually) and a .22 being less than a quarter inch - and if the .22 penetrates far enough to get to the brain, heart or spine, and the .44 does not, then which is better?

I have often said sectional density is an important factor with regards to penetration of any material (although wood would not be my first choice for testing) - but especially for hard matter, like bones and cartilage.

Bullet diameter doesn't matter much IMO - the difference between a .44 (.43 actually) and a .22 being less than a quarter inch - and if the .22 penetrates far enough to get to the brain, heart or spine, and the .44 does not, then which is better?
The .44 WILL get to the brain, heart or spine.

Lol, I hear what you're saying though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads