JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few years ago a small group of people asked me to teach them how to shoot. Some had novice experience with firearms and others had no experience. We met at the rock quarry off FR 70 near Green Lake. Before any rounds were fired I went over terminology, the rifles we were using that day (10/22 and an AR platform), and the Five Weapon Safety Rules. I then had each person recite back to me the rules before I took them one by one up to the line to shoot. There were two other shooters outside of our group and everyone was friendly and following basic range protocol.

After about half an hour the targets needed to be changed so we called for a cold range. I had my students step behind the vehicles and signaled to the other shooters. Once all weapons were down and the range cold a few people walked out to switch targets. I was stapling a new target to the board when I heard the whip-snap "Crack!" of a round going overhead. Having served in the Marines this is a sound I know well and immediately whipped around to look at the firing line. But nobody was on the line and all weapons were untouched! Almost immediately I heard another "Crack!" and realized the rounds were coming from downrange towards us! I ran back to the firing line and told everyone to stay low. As I got back to the line a third round "whistled" over my head which really got my blood going. I told everyone to stay low and jumped in my truck. I gunned it up the forest road to what would be the tree line at the top left of the rock quarry. When I came to the clearing I found a group of five or six people shooting into a low berm. I jumped out of my truck and immediately yelled "Cease Fire! Cease Fire!" as I waved my arms. They stopped shooting and looked at me like Sasquatch just walked out of the woods. I yelled at them for shooting in an unsafe area, said their rounds were going over our heads, and that if they wanted to shoot they should go down to the quarry. Silence. I jumped back in my truck and drove down to the quarry, told the students range day was over, and took them back into town.

I've seen a lot of dangerous stuff at the quarry but this one took the cake. I've since avoided it as much as possible.

I would like to share some lessons I've learned from shooting outdoors:

1. Much of the Pacific Northwest has thick brush and shrubs, you might not know what is 20 feet away.
2. There is no substitute for a solid backstop. A tall hill is great...make sure there are no trails or structures on the hill before you send lead down range.
3. Don't shoot across rivers and streams.
4. Don't shoot across roads.
5. Trees do not stop bullets. A .308 will pass right through a 20" Fir. Will a tree stop some rounds? Sure. Will it stop all of them? No. And as shooters we are responsible for ALL of our rounds.
6. Bullets ricochet so keep an eye out for rocks and boulders.
7. It takes a lot of dirt to stop a bullet. If your thoughts are: That would make a sweet bike jump" then it's probably not big enough. If your thoughts are: "frick, I don't want to climb up that" then it may be safe to shoot.

Let's all be responsible and thoughtful firearms users. It will give people a better impression and leave everyone a lot safer.

So let's not forget the Five Weapon Safety Rules:
1. Treat EVERY weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3. Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you intend to fire
5. Know your target and what is BEYOND!

I'll end on what I told the shooters that day "There are no firearm accidents...only negligence"

Safe shooting everyone.

Good stuff. I can't count how many times I've been out and about to stop and chat with folks about not having a backstop.

People shooting into water almost got me one time.:eek:
And the buggers knew I was there.:mad:
It was kids that knew I was shooting a shotgun.o_O
They didn't know I also had a pocket full of slugs.:eek::rolleyes::D:p

I quit shooting in the woods because of negligent people. I only go to the range now and I have to say it is nice. Unfortunately not everyone has the opportunity to do that.

I quit shooting in the woods because of negligent people. I only go to the range now and I have to say it is nice. Unfortunately not everyone has the opportunity to do that.
I agree, SKrueger, that a range is nice. Ranges are great to practice trigger control and sight in a rifle. However bench shooting has its limitations. If possible I'd like to be able to shoot from unconventional positions in a real world environment (or even do little things like transition drills).... It just seems to be getting harder and harder these days.

It may be an uphill battle but I'd like to think that education could solve a lot of the problems we see out in the woods.

I agree, SKrueger, that a range is nice. Ranges are great to practice trigger control and sight in a rifle. However bench shooting has its limitations. If possible I'd like to be able to shoot from unconventional positions in a real world environment (or even do little things like transition drills).... It just seems to be getting harder and harder these days.

It may be an uphill battle but I'd like to think that education could solve a lot of the problems we see out in the woods.

I have places to do that around here. Have a friend who's father in law owns 2400 acres so that isn't a problem. I used to live up in your neck of the woods and you are limited for sure on great places to do this sort of thing.

Education can solve a lot but your never going to get to the ones that are the problem. Those guys think they know everything and have a don't care attitude towards people helping them. All of this IMHO of course;)

Depends upon the range what is allowed vs not.

We've been lucky I suppose. The ranges we've been members of allow more practical use if you want (pistol and rifle), plus do so safely.

Well said! It's amazing how many people give little thought to where the bullet goes.

I was shooting one day in the hills outside of Springfield. I had driven up to a good spot, and had gone past a gravel pit where you're not supposed to shoot, but people do (or at least used to), and noticed that some people were there. I wasn't concerned though because there was a substantial piece of hill between them and where I was headed.

I was standing around at my shooting spot, picking up brass or something as I recall, and there was the pop, pop, pop of pistol fire down over the hill, then a ZZZINGGG of a ricochet, but instead of the familiar trailing off quieter sound we all know from the movies, it was getting louder! I looked up and could track exactly where it was by sound, like a mosquito you can't see. I followed the sound as it splashed down into a mud puddle less than ten feet from me. I walked over to where I saw the splash and picked this out of the mud:
IMG_5728[1].jpg

Needless to say, I picked up and left. I don't shoot in the woods at all anymore, joined a nice, safe range instead. I get a key and come and go as I please. It's well worth the $120 per year.

Sometimes I think that anyone who shoots or drives a car should take a physics class, so that they can understand a little bit about the energy of a projectile, whether it's a half-ounce bullet or a two-ton car. They need to realize that it's an object in motion with tremendous kinetic energy, and they alone are personally responsible for controlling where it goes and what it transfers that energy into.

I did a basic AR platform class for a few people on here a few years ago around the Larch Mt area...never again.

We were off to the side, but with people shooting glass, aerosol cans and misc other junk at flat rocks...to put it bluntly, I was extremely disappointed, but hoping this would not be the impression of firearms shooters if some non-firearm people came by.

I have had very little exposure to outdoor public shooting areas...it was enlightening and disheartening to say the least.

I wish I could get a big sponsor onboard to create a public range.

We have the land, just not the money.

This area drastically needs a public shooting range.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top