JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Git to jump through all the hoops with the planning dept.

With being more urban or suburban, me thinks it would take a bit.
Ya, ODF has a plot that would be suitable in the Wolf Creek area which already has designed designated shooting lanes in existence.

It would certainly be a 6-10 year project.

It could certainly be done though.

Because of irresponsible shooters, woods shooting on public land is gradually becoming a thing of the past. Unsafe acts and littering are the main causes. Unfortunately, development of new, organized ranges almost never happens. So the pressure increases on those declining numbers of places where people may shoot on public land.

There are several government and private sources of money for developing shooting ranges. NSSF, NRA and local fish and wildlife all have money available - even in Oregon.

I have always wanted to buy some prime shooting land and develop a range in the St Helens area. A grant would help out immensely, but I don't think that I have the energy or time left to see it through.

I shoot in the forest and try to be very careful/aware of what is downrange. Plus using safe practices is a must. I feel it is safer being there than some informal range where people have many ideas about safety or no safety ideas at all.

Thanks for sharing. Wrote a lot and deleted. You can drill some people on safety and they never get it. These are the folks who reach under their lawn mower.
I have been blessed, that I have been able to shoot with people much more knowledgeable than me.

You're dead-on target, @UnionMillsNW ! Thanks for the boost in awareness of this topic!

All that has been said here is why I started the Trash No Land nonprofit organization. We are able to reach a lot more people than just the NWFA crowd (and an awesome crowd you all are, indeed! Special thanks to @Joe Link, owner NWFA, for providing this platform to work together as a team of responsible shooters on a mission!).

It's all about information, education, awareness, stewardship, respect, sportsmanship and common sense when shooting on public lands. I tend to think we have made a difference, since 2014 when we, as a NWFA group, did a cleanup in April that year. It wasn't the first one, but the first one that I was involved with. It has continued to grow from there and our biggest support has come from the people here on this forum.

It's really hard to measure an impact, however, now we are seeing more and more good people getting involved to help raise awareness and trying to restore recreational shooting to be a respectable and acceptable form of recreation. It's really great to see so many caring and doing something about it!

We're doing a lot of volunteer cleanups, distributing brochures, teaching information classes, communicating the rules on various social media platforms, producing info videos, and working with land management officials to improve the shooting sports. In other words, we're not just complaining behind the keyboard... we're getting our boots on the ground and going after a change.

If you can help financially or by volunteering, give me a jingle. There's lots to do and a lot of ground to cover! All over our great Northwest!

Ya, the rogue shooters are, and will be there, but, the more good/responsible shooters out there, the better we all will be and the more places to shoot we'll save!

Carry on!

Bill, Bryan, Aaron, Craig & Kristina of Trash No Land.
360-713-8304
[email protected]

when I was TDY in PA years back (2007-9) they had state public ranges. they had a couple hundred spread out through the state and it was funded through hunting/fishing licenses, park passes etc. They were open sun up to sundown each day and F&G would swing by time to time and see whats going on. A friend who still live in the area said they just refurbished all the shooting benches.
standard range make up
10 lane pistol off to the side
4x lane 50yd 22lr, 10x 100yd rifle and 4x 300yd rifle.

My rambling is that they could do something similar in the PNW if they wanted and we would have safe places to shoot.

when I was TDY in PA years back (2007-9) they had state public ranges. they had a couple hundred spread out through the state and it was funded through hunting/fishing licenses, park passes etc. They were open sun up to sundown each day and F&G would swing by time to time and see whats going on. A friend who still live in the area said they just refurbished all the shooting benches.
standard range make up
10 lane pistol off to the side
4x lane 50yd 22lr, 10x 100yd rifle and 4x 300yd rifle.

My rambling is that they could do something similar in the PNW if they wanted and we would have safe places to shoot.
Just what we're advocating for! Great to hear about that!

All the above being said about stray rounds and picking a safe place to shoot, how about the French Quarter in New Orleans? I used to go there every few years for trade shows. Loved the town and especially the food. However, it is the only place I have, city or otherwise, where I have found bullets laying on the street! One was likely a 9mm and the other a rifle round of some sort. Both were apparently ricochets as they were flattened to some extent. Oh yeah, gun laws will save you ;' >

Well written piece, glad nobody was hurt. Wow, what a thing for a group of beginners to see.. How many of them are still shooting?

I've seen a lot of reckless behavior in the woods. As I've said before, some people are just knuckleheads. They can't even operate a can opener without cutting themselves. They can't remember to turn off appliances. They will take an ugly stranger home and not use a rubber. Just dumb decisions, one after the other.

I have too much to lose for some idiot to cut my life short. That's why I happily go to the range. And yes, we do need more outdoor shooting ranges. It is kind of shocking how few there are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top