JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a big fan of:
SOG
Gerber
Edit - forgot: Spiderco

Iffy with:
Cold steel

No experience with:
Benchmade
Boker
Opinel
DPX

I like:
Kershaw
Emerson
Onterio
CRKC

Timeless but not always the best:
Buck
Victorianox

Last Edited:
I have an old Gerber pocket knife that's well made. But several years ago I stopped even looking at their knives, they're complete junk now. I like my Kershaw and SOG. The Cold Steel I have isn't bad. Really like the Benchmades I've handled! And of course I've heard good things about Emerson, Spyderco and ZT. Surprised I didn't see Wenger or Ka-bar on there.

I was a Kershaw man, and still own 3 skylines, and a couple assisted openers but have recently come to appreciate Benchmade Axis locking knives. I currently have 3 mini griptilians and knowing me, will be adding more.
One day I will pick up a Chris Reeves Sebenza to see what all the fuss is about.

For years I was a Gerber man but I kept losing mine and eventually came over to the Buck knives, my EDC is a model 442C half serrated, I also have a fine edge 486, that I use for finer carving than the 442 can handle. Both knives hold a good edge when sharp! I think the better pocket clip is a contributing factor, the Gerber clip just gave my nice knife to someone else. I only hope they needed it more than me!

Update 11/18/17
Since then I've gone to the China side, (sorta the dark side ya know).
I spent less than $15 Delivered for an Enlan EL-04 that copied the lock from Benchmade.
I wanted an inexpensive EDC knife so if I lost it I wouldn't cry too much.
The lock started out really tight to operate but it is getting better all the time.
Blade is marked 8C13Mov. I'm not very familiar with the marking system, but I'm guessing it' a mix of , Chrome, Moly, and maybe some Vanadium, feel free to correct me.
It takes and holds a really sharp edge, and by now I've had time to abuse it. No nicks as yet, and I finally touched it up a couple of days ago, took me less than 5 minutes to return it to shaving sharp!
I'm surprised and pleased with it, the 3 1/4" blade is a little larger than I would like for a whittler, but for a utility knife it works just fine. :D
Gabby

Last Edited:
My favorites, in no particular order.
1. Benchmade
2. Old Gerbers
3. Kershaw
4. Hogue/Wilson Combat
5. Spyderco
6. Ontario

Don't particularly care for.
1. New Gerbers
2. New Cold Steel
3. Smith & Wesson

I like my knives like my guns to be old fashioned.
So...
Old Camillus ( pre 2009 )
Case
Old made in USA Schrade
Are my favorites.

Not fan of "tactical" pocket knives or fancy steel knives.
But I am glad the world isn't limited by my likes or dislikes....:)
Andy

Who are the best manufacturers?

Agree with this list?

Making The Cut: 15 Best Pocket Knife Brands

I have at least one by each of most of these - companies.
If you count that my wife took my Benchmade mini-griptilian

I have two Benchmade. Both the Mel Pardue design that was originally made as a rule beater for things like airlines. They are VERY light. I keep one in my shirt pocket. First one I bought so long ago I forget when. Second one years later when I thought I had lost first one. Later it turned back up. For the price (they are not cheap) they are to me a GREAT blade. CRKT I like and have had many. My Every day carry is one. I have had several assisted openers of theirs. Couple of them the spring broke after several years. Poor QC. For the price I still like them as they hold up well enough for what I pay for them. When spring breaks on one it becomes a "tool box knife". One to be abused since it's been replaced already.

I tend to beat the sheite out of ANY "clip-it" pocket knife that I daily carry, and they usually last me about 3-6 months. The spendy ones on down to the "cheap" ones all seem to last about as long as the other, so I'm money ahead buying 5-6 of the same "cheap" ones, "doctor" them along until they're spent then take the next one out of the package, rinse and repeat.

These days EVERYTHING mass produced lacks CRAFTSMANSHIP quality and is designed to be disposable, so I don't see the need to spend $200+ on a carry "clip it" knife when I can get the job done with a "ground down lawnmower blade", unless you're into it for the "art" of it.... which is cool, I guess.

;)

Last Edited:
I've only owned one Case a small pocket folder back in the 1960's Wouldn't hold an edge for crap. Had a really nice sheath knife from S&W, recently gifted it to my step son, I don't hunt anymore. Boker Tree brand and the Two Herons used to be great knives with excellent carbon steel, I still carry a small 2 bladed Boker, I've had longer than my wife! :eek: My other favorite was my Gerber half serrated with the large thumb hole, that just wouldn't stay in my pocket. :mad:
A knife that I own, made by my father when he worked for Gates Tire Co. in Colorado, about the time I was born During WWII, was made from one of the cut off shears that cut the rubber for the treads going into the vulcanizing mold. It takes forever to sharpen and just as long to dull, it's rather crudely made and brittle as hell but oh what a skinner it is. I have no idea how many deer were dressed with that knife, back when Utah residents could take multiple deer each season and we lived on venison. Four in my family had tags each year for at least 10 years, and that knife was used extensively because it stayed sharp longer than any other available. I almost forgot my aunt and uncle usually hunted with my folks too and they both took deer, I'm certain dad either lent the knife or helped with the chores.
Which brings me back to the 2 knives I currently use the most, my Bucks whose model numbers I've already posted.
Over the years I've owned several Buck skinners, but they all seem to have grown legs. :(
There you have it.
Gabby

Last Edited:
We are living in the "Golden Age" for steel evolution and production. The competition in the steel making industry is fierce and they are always trying to improve to find the best balance of hardness/strength, stainlessness and edge retention, etc. There are so many additives being added to steels to make them better and a new and improved steel comes out almost monthly it seems. Some of my favorite knife makers, not in any particular order are... Bark River, Allen Warren Knives (Portland local), Spyderco, Dark Timber Custom Knives, LT Wright, Northwoods and Fallkniven.

They are all pretty much custom and a little pricier than the mass produced stuff...but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents

Edit: DLT trading is an excellent website that offers a lot of these brands cheaper than retail and their customer service is off the charts

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads