JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SEATTLE - King County officials are set to unveil a new "gun safety action plan" that would require all gun owners in the county to securely store firearms, among other measures.

The county is forging ahead with the plan even though the NRA and Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation recently filed suit against the city of Seattle over a similar measure. The suit claims that only the state Legislature has the authority to adopt gun laws.

County officials say the new law is needed on safe gun storage because studies show that many of the 34 percent of Washington residents who own guns report having an unlocked firearm.

The measure, if passed, also would also require warning signs at stories that sell guns and establish a task force on firearm safety.

King County Council Chair Joe McDermott and other county officials say they need to take common sense actions - since there aren't any state or federal laws in place on gun safety.

A draft of the plan describes four different measures that need approval by the full King County Council and a fifth measure needing an OK from the King County Board of Health.

The Board of Health measure would require signs warning of the health risk of firearms to be posted in a number of different languages at gun stores and ranges and online.

The other four measures to be considered by the full council:

- All gun owners would be required to securely store their firearms and ammunition at all times on all premises.

- The King County Sheriff's Office would be directed to destroy all weapons confiscated from crimes.

- A task force would be established to develop gun safety strategies.

- King County would also collaborate with youth and young adults to identify recommendations for reducing gun violence that they experience.

The cities of Seattle and Everett recently passed similar laws.

- In Seattle a law goes into effect in January requiring gun owners to lock up their firearms or face fines up to $10,000. This is the measure being challenged by the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation.

- In Everett, gun owners who fail to report their firearm missing or stolen face a $250 fine.

The only thing I like is the task force for educating people about firearm safety... i'd like to see some classes to educate kids about firearms, a few open to adults... maybe i'm stretching that a bit...

Last Edited:
I store my firearms as "I" see fit...

King County nor any Politician does not live in my home and or enviroment, I refuse to be dictated as to how to safely and properly store my firearms...!!!

In an emergency 911 and response can range from 30 minutes to over an hour depending...

"...County officials say the new law is needed on safe gun storage because studies show that many of the 34 percent of Washington residents who own guns report having an unlocked firearm. ..."

I wonder how they define "many" and how the gun owners "reported" that information? "Hello, 911? Just calling to let you know my gun is unlocked. We need a law to force me to store my guns how the State dictates."

Methinks me smelleth bullsheiteth

Last Edited:
Of course this crap is fabricated, who has received an honest poll of when and where you locked your firearm...???

I've never been asked, I don't call in and "REPORT" securing or locking up my firearms...:eek::eek::eek:

They just can't accept the fact that they can't legislate morality. They can put up all the signs they want and a criminal is still going to find a way.

Following this paradigm should the UK require knives and acid be locked away also?

Of course this crap is fabricated, who has received an honest poll of when and where you locked your firearm...???

I've never been asked, I don't call in and "REPORT" securing or locking up my firearms...:eek::eek::eek:
Two words that don't go together "Honest Politician".......

There others, but that is different topic... :rolleyes:

A non-political class that teaches :
Firearm safety...
How a firearm operates...
Basic Firearm ID...
Basic ballistics...
Yep ... I can get behind that idea.

Tax breaks on gun safe sales and or free trigger locks , etc...yep again good idea.

Making a law / telling someone that this is how you need to store and secure your firearms in your own home...Nope.

Just how I store and secure my firearms in my home , works for me in my home...it may not work in someone else's...
This is a one size fits none solution...that like the universal BGC , will create more criminals.

As for the notion that firearms are a "health risk"...
Getting outside , learning the skills of safe gun use , researching the history of my guns , interacting with others , sharing ideas, etc...yeah these are all bad for ya...:rolleyes::D
Andy

A non-political class that teaches :
Firearm safety...
How a firearm operates...
Basic Firearm ID...
Basic ballistics...
Yep ... I can get behind that idea.

Tax breaks on gun safe sales and or free trigger locks , etc...yep again good idea.

Making a law / telling someone that this is how you need to store and secure your firearms in your own home...Nope.

Just how I store and secure my firearms in my home , works for me in my home...it may not work in someone else's...
This is a one size fits none solution...that like the universal BGC , will create more criminals.

As for the notion that firearms are a "health risk"...
Getting outside , learning the skills of safe gun use , researching the history of my guns , interacting with others , sharing ideas, etc...yeah these are all bad for ya...:rolleyes::D
Andy

I think if they just added a section to the law that required anyone breaking into your house to give you time to get your firearms out of the safe it would be OK?

I think if they just added a section to the law that required anyone breaking into your house to give you time to get your firearms out of the safe it would be OK?

I like it...
I purpose a law made , that requires all criminals to come with a "time out / pause button "...so you can have time to avoid or prepare for their visit / social interaction ....:D
Andy

An incomplete list of other good ideas lawmakers should adopt:

1. Requirement that a signed waiver to be completed and notarized prior to friends, family or neighbors being granted access to a property where firearms have existed within the prior 30 days. Forms should be filed and maintained at the local sherriff's office after access is granted.

2. Perimeter markings around any known firearm storage location to alert of the possibility of weapon accidental discharge.

3. Establish a 1-800 number and website where firearm movement within a residence shall be requested and reported. To be included in the movement request is the intended use of said firearm such as target shooting, cleaning, personal defense or general fondling/admiration.

4. Allow "on demand" access to personally owned firearms by others who may not have sufficient funds for personal firearm ownership or feel uncomfortable maintaining firearms at their own residence.

5. Provide government funding for safe firearm storage within 100 yards of any known homeless dwelling. These safe storage areas shall be staffed to provide 24 hour access for the local homeless person.

I'm sure we can all agree that laws such as these will keep all citizens and non-citizens alike much safer.

An incomplete list of other good ideas lawmakers should adopt:

1. Requirement that a signed waiver to be completed and notarized prior to friends, family or neighbors being granted access to a property where firearms have existed within the prior 30 days. Forms should be filed and maintained at the local sherriff's office after access is granted.

2. Perimeter markings around any known firearm storage location to alert of the possibility of weapon accidental discharge.

3. Establish a 1-800 number and website where firearm movement within a residence shall be requested and reported. To be included in the movement request is the intended use of said firearm such as target shooting, cleaning, personal defense or general fondling/admiration.

4. Allow "on demand" access to personally owned firearms by others who may not have sufficient funds for personal firearm ownership or feel uncomfortable maintaining firearms at their own residence.

5. Provide government funding for safe firearm storage within 100 yards of any known homeless dwelling. These safe storage areas shall be staffed to provide 24 hour access for the local homeless person.

I'm sure we can all agree that laws such as these will keep all citizens and non-citizens alike much safer.

I like the provision in number 5. But what about when they are carrying? Can we get some help securing the firearm while they are defecating on the sidewalk?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top