JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time shooting my ultra carry this weekend and about 10-12 rounds out of 100 jammed. Was shooting FMJ going through the break in period. Any thoughts what could be causing this? Don't trust it as a carry weapon. Trigger isn't that crisp, any gun smith recommendations LO area or south metro?

Update cleaned, lubed it shot it this weekend. Tried to quarantine mags, same issue maybe worse. Shot blazer 230 grain brass and Sellior. Pretty sure it's the feed ramp. Probably easy fix by gun smith but likely will send it to Kimber to keep the warranty. Hate owning a gun that isn't reliable.

Last Edited:
My Kimber Ultra likes ammo with a higher grain. I also had to replace the gripes to gain a tighter grip as well as change to Wilson mags.

Sidebar, did you clean it prior to using it. You also have to follow the guidelines to clean every 100 rounds for the first 500 rounds.

Everything I've been told about tight fitting 1911s is that they require a break in period. Perhaps that is the issue.

So I have some experience with a brand new 1911 jamming.... 1st only use the supplied factory mags until you figure it out. 2nd only use factory new ammo. 3 run it wet with lube during the break in process, re-lube the slide rails every 50rds or so. 4th do NOT modify it or take it to a gunsmith or you will lose ALL warranty assistance. Its on Kimber to make you a happy customer and they should.

as far as the actual issue your having, need to know more information but in my experience breaking in a 1911 and calling the warranty dept I had to wait until after I reached the 300rd break in period before I was really able to file a warranty claim. I personally think thats bullbubblegum for what we pay for 1911s these days they should work outta the box with any ammo... but it is what it is. One thing you can do is clean and lube the gun and just rack it over and over again 300 times to help. keep it lubed.

Failure to feed was the issue. Was shooting 230 grain Pmc full metal jackets. Kimber mags both silver and black.
With mine and my husband full size Kimber 1911's, we had to send back and they replaced the extractor rod. You might need to think about sending it back to Kimber for a custom repair.

Not a 1911 expert, but-
A) my understanding is that kimber mags are frequently problematic.
B) Clean it every 50-100 during break in, as mentioned
C) With that few rounds causing failure, probably inconsistently, my guess is limp wristing. Hogue tamer grips help.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to shoot it more and pay attention to mags. Don't think limp wristing is the problem shoot my buddies just fine.

Strip and super-clean the mags. Then, maybe use a lube which has some teflon in it. Use a wood dowel and run the followers to the bottom and back seversl times, noting any hesitation or tight sports. Mec-Gar, Act/Wolff are also very good mags.

dztto54441wy.png

seriously though, almost definitely mag related.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top