JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tomorrow marks my 8 weeks on keto.

Results so far....

Up until Friday of last week I ate 6 times a day and as much as I wanted. Then I switched to 3 meals a day.

Weighed in Tuesday morning and I have lost a total of 10 lbs. Not much of a loss considering I lost that in the first week but then gained it back. From Friday to Tuesday once I cut my eating back I lost 7 lbs and it wasn't water weight like the first week.

I haven't suffered any negative effects in my mental clarity or physical strength or stamina - I do seem to sweat more but that could also be the warming temps here.

Only working out 3-4 times a week has resulted in the following:

I have put on a lot of muscle. Added 2.5" to my chest, 1" to my biceps, .5 inches on my calves (shoulders barely fit my shirts but I don't have a measurement for them) and all my other measurements have stayed the same but I don't have the bloated beer gut look anymore.

So considering the muscle gain, I am guessing I've lost way more then just 10 lbs of fat.

Fully clothed and geared I'm at 267 which is only 4 lbs more then the least I've weighed in years (and that was no hat and completely emptying my pockets).

If I only lost another 35 lbs I would be pretty happy.

I'll check in again in another 4 weeks.

Today's food:

AM
2 scoops of protein shake
2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil

Noon
4oz of steak
2 cups of broccoli
2 tablespoons Avocado Oil

PM
8oz Ground Beef/Bacon
2 cups of broccoli
(No added Oil as the meat had plenty)

+half a gallon of green tea from waking until 2pm and lots of water.

Beef n Bacon

2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef
3/4 lbs of thick cut uncured bacon cut into 1" pieces
Onion
Garlic

Add all to a pot or skillet plus 16 oz of water. Cool on medium for 30 min.

Crisp to taste.

Goes great over steamed veggies.

Cause Jillian is a genius. And worked on a show where the medical opinion is the show did far more harm to the participants than they had done to themselves.

Not every diet is right for every person.

She has a pretty hefty empire to loose since keto is 95% opposite what she preaches.

There are more then a few keto pro doctors that have done response videos since her opinion was posted towards the beginning of the year.

So far I have been able to find the science behind posted cons of the diet. One more month and I'm having a full bloodwork lab panel done to see where everything is.

After reading the whole article it is fairly unbiased and actually doesn't say keto is bad, just that you need to do it correctly to avoid nutritional issues. The same could be said for eating fast food every day or cheetos:D.

From the article "All that being said, it's difficult to adhere to the keto diet for a long time because of how restrictive it is. As soon as you start eating carbs again, you're likely to gain the pounds back right away".

I.e. If you can't stay away from the chip and cookie isle or you won't give up beer and bread then you will absolutely store all those carbs as fat and shouldn't be doing keto.

I have actually had a lot of food choices open up for me following this lifestyle (I say lifestyle cuz I don't plan on dropping it anytime in the foreseeable future).

I do not crave processed foods at all and if I do want something sweet, there are lots of non blood sugar effecting sweeteners out there plus all of the recipies you can find on YouTube alone.

My lifestyle is not one where I go out and eat with people hardly ever and when I have it's pretty easy to have a steak (or chicken or fish) with vegetables and butter without breaking my food guidelines.

I still cook dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day in mind and taking food to work is easier then taking the time to leave to buy something and then stuff it down to get back on time.

Ultimately like all lifestyles, it's not for everyone and I'm not pushing it as a be all.

I have had a number of people PM me with interest on the subject so that's mostly why I keep posting in this thread.

I was convinced the first week and am still hooked;)

If you want to try keto but can't totally give up carbs, check out William & Stephanie Laska's "Dirty Lazy Keto" books at Amazon. Ours just came today and I'm hoping a read on those will help un-f*ck my mother's carb-addicted breadhead.

So I'm not on Keto, per se. But what I did do is drop all alcohol, lower my carb intake to just a little bit and eat more meats and vegetables. I read the labels of the stuff I buy to make sure the carbs are low. I was never into cookies/candy/cake/sweets in general so that was easy. But I've always liked bread/rolls/crackers/pasta and the like. I'm 6'1" and have never really been heavy, but my boiler started growing and I'm vain enough to notice and do something about it. Cutting out the empty calories from beer was the easiest part. I have absolutely zero interest in drinking lately. But damn if I don't have dreams about warm garlic bread with a pile of pasta! :D

Right now, what we're thinking is see how much weight an 8-week "lazy keto" cycle takes off, then let Mom take a break until she goes back up by ten to twenty pounds, then another keto cycle, rinse and repeat--one step back into comfort for every three forward, until we get her down to target then do a "tick-tock" cycle between keto and normal to keep fairly close to target on-average so she doesn't get "bored"*sneer*.

Right now, what we're thinking is see how much weight an 8-week "lazy keto" cycle takes off, then let Mom take a break until she goes back up by ten to twenty pounds, then another keto cycle, rinse and repeat--one step back into comfort for every three forward, until we get her down to target then do a "tick-tock" cycle between keto and normal to keep fairly close to target on-average so she doesn't get "bored"*sneer*.

Just keep in mind that the first week is almost all water weight and it's not uncommon for people to loose 10 pounds the first 7 days.

That weight will stack on the min she adds carbs back in (1g of carb holds 4g of water) and if she is in ketosis it will all get stored as fat until she is transitioned off, so a gradual shift back to carbs might be better for her in the long run (jumping straight back into pasta and bread probably would be a 2 steps forward and 2 steps back situation from what I've been told).

Plus going thru the Keto flu again puts me off of going off diet for more then a mild cheat at one meal personally.

Also, as far as boredom goes - you can make about 99% of foods keto with the right ingredients and recipe.

I'd highly recommend finding her 'weak spots' and figure out a keto alternative to scratch the perverbial itch.

Mine is sweets (keto deserts are plentiful) including sweet tea (green tea and 'Puyre' stevia/erithritol blend in packets) and chips (pork rinds are a perfect keto food and gives me something to snack on with some crunch to them).

Just some thoughts - it sounds like your fairly prepared to help her which I give you huge props for:cool:.

KetoConnect on YouTube has had some of the best recipies we have tried that taste good and are very good substitutes.

So maybe a figure of half the drop per cycle as gain, or more extreme a quarter. Problem is, she really loves her fruit, especially berries, tomatoes and pineapple, not to mention her pasta--and since we don't have an oven that means microwave or delivery.

So maybe eight weeks of keto and drop-logging, then a two week "mid carb transition," then eat-as-she-likes until the 25%-regain figure is hit, then another two week transition, then keto again. It also doesn't help that folks in my family tend to have a five-pound weight variance from low to high just within any one day, and our usual is twenty pounds lighter at summer low than winter high.

I also have an angle: since she has to drag me everywhere she goes to be her hands and her wheelchair pusher, every time she decides she needs a bread binge she monkeys with MY numbers too, and I still have 30lbs. and three inches of neckline to drop within the next 50 weeks ("under 200 before 40"). Bonus if I can get back down to a 34-36" waist because finding pants made for a 28" inseam is hard enough even when you're skinny, never mind packing a 44" beachball at 5'6"!

Starting to think maybe I should dump keto and go to a combination of Mongolian and lots of salsa verde on everything--between those, at the rate my guts are going today I should sh*t myself skinny in just a couple months... LOL

Sausage tends to be Keto friendly (tho some has fillers) and Oatmeal is not.

THE SCIENCE OF HEALTHY EATING:
Topol said he was so interested in how the gut microbiome—the ecosystem of microorganisms that live in the human digestive system—impacts health that he signed up for a study with the Weizmann Institute of Science to spend a week measuring his own body's response to food. What he found shocked him: Oatmeal was spiking his glucose to potentially dangerous levels, but bratwurst was rated as an A-plus food for him.​

But note that after this, he's still a science-denier. "'Is it gonna change my whole nutritional plan? No,' said Topol, who, as a cardiologist, indicated a reticence to eat a bunch of sausage."

by Glenn Reynolds

I'm a visual learner primarily so graphs help.

This is one of the ones that pushed me over the line to try Keto

IMG_4235.GIF

15 weeks and 3 day in.

Had to cut my belt so it would go another inch shorter. Size 40 shorts will fall off me now. Not quite to 38's though.

My shirts are getting looser in the belly and tighter in the shoulders and chest.

Biggest, or most importantly to me, my fasting blood sugar was 89 this morning! 3 weeks ago it was 118 and last week 109 so I am seeing a steady decrease but do not expect it to go much lower now that I'm in a normally range.

So far I'm still leaning out, packing muscle on and feel great mentally and physically so I am going to continue with this route until something drastic changes my mind.

Candied walnuts or pecans

Melt 1/2 cup kerigolds butter on low

Add cinnamon to taste 1-3 tsp

Add salt to taste 1-2 tsp

Add Swerve confectioners sweetener (erythritol) to taste 1/4-1/2 cup

Mix well and turn off heat.

Add 3-5 cups of shelled walnuts and continue stirring until cooled.

You can add more walnuts after the first stir if you have a lot of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Keep in an air tight container in the fridge.

Makes a great salty, sweet and crunchy snack.

Be aware of the calories as walnuts are already high in good fats and then you covered them in butter;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top